• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

A reason to go to church!

This is the exact reason i almost took up smoking. All the guys with the best deals made them by being in the smoking lounge when the chief was there.

This is news?

One of my good friends goes to church with his wife. He doesn't mind, he told me he likes to think about the women he wants to fuck. No sweet deals, but YMMV.

The only times I ever go in churches is to see the architecture. Eg St John's in Valletta.

I know an atheist who attends church regularly. He does it solely for the business connections. He's quite well off. But frankly I just can't compromise my integrity that way.

SLD

Hell, there are a lot of atheists still stuck in the job of preaching at many of these churches because they can't find another way to make a living after realizing they were selling snake oil. I was one of the few lucky ones who had already found gainful employment elsewhere before my "faith" succumbed to the relentless onslaught of rational thought and evidence.

This was actually suggested to me several years ago by my manager for exactly this reason. She didn't outright ask me if I'm an atheist, just said that I should get involved in a church for the business contacts even if I didn't believe. I didn't follow that advice.

The article itself sounds more like a desparate attempt to increase church attendance among younger people though.

http://www.nbcnews.com/feature/in-plain-sight/class-america-want-get-ahead-try-church-n325796

Yes, if you want to get ahead, go to Church. You'll make connections. It will make you rich. The preachers have already been doing that for years.

Wanna bet that soon we'll be seeing the fundies claim this is evidence that God loves them and not you?

SLD

They already do. Name it and claim it and the prosperity gospel messages come to mind. Unfortunately, it's usually just the church officials that get rich, the rest of the congregation can never seem to get the worship nailed down quite right.

http://www.nbcnews.com/feature/in-plain-sight/class-america-want-get-ahead-try-church-n325796

Yes, if you want to get ahead, go to Church. You'll make connections. It will make you rich. The preachers have already been doing that for years.

Wanna bet that soon we'll be seeing the fundies claim this is evidence that God loves them and not you?

SLD

My livelihood doesn't depend on the local economy but on an industry that spans the world and my contacts around the globe.

So I can skip church as I always have.

Back
Top Bottom