• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

A Signal from Proxima Centauri?

The article says:

A team had been using the Parkes radio telescope in Australia to study Proxima Centauri for signs of flares coming from the red dwarf star, in part to understand how such flares might affect Proxima’s planets.

So, the original study was on stellar flares, and the archival data were searched for "technosignatures".

It has been my experience that science-quality data do not appear in real time at observatories. Much data reduction and calibration is usually needed to get to the actual results.
Dish Radio-telescope is essentially a single channel radio, you can do 99% of the stuff in real time.
The rest is data interpretation, not reduction.

Fair enough. My experience is not in the radio.

Maybe it wasn't a signal intended for us....maybe we accidently picked up something we weren't supposed to...it is our closest neighbour and just like when they visit they don't want us aware. There, my paper is done.

A planet orbiting a red dwarf seems an unlikely candidate for a technological species to evolve, solar flares, retaining an atmosphere, gravity locked, etc. But you never know.....

Maybe it wasn't a signal intended for us....maybe we accidently picked up something we weren't supposed to...it is our closest neighbour and just like when they visit they don't want us aware. There, my paper is done.
Then why all the crop circles, abductions, anal probes, and implants?

It doesn't look promising for life on red dwarf planets;

Assessing The Habitability Of Planets Around Old Red Dwarfs

''Any atmosphere formed early in the history of a habitable-zone planet was likely to have been eroded away by high-energy radiation from the star during its volatile youth. Later on, however, planet atmospheres might regenerate as the star becomes less active with age. This regeneration process may occur by gases released by impacts of solid material or gases being released by volcanic processes.''

''However, the onslaught of powerful flares like those reported here, repeatedly occurring over hundreds of millions of years, may erode any regenerated atmospheres on rocky planets in the habitable zone. This would reduce the chance of these worlds supporting life.

''The team is currently studying high-energy radiation from many more red dwarfs to determine whether Barnard’s Star is typical.

“It may turn out that most red dwarfs are hostile to life,” said co-author Tommi Koskinen of the University of Arizona in Tucson. “In that case the conclusion might be that planets around more massive stars, like our own Sun, might be the optimal location to search for inhabited worlds with the next generation of telescopes.”

Back
Top Bottom