• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

A truck drove into a line of ICE protesters outside a detention facility in Rhode Island

Another terrorist emboldened by Trump.
Terrorism normally refers to attacking targets of convenience for the sake of the political effect on third parties, not to attacking the specific individuals who are personally causing you a problem. I think the term you're looking for is "road rage".
Do you have any information that it was road rage that caused the driver to run into pedestrians?

Terrorism normally refers to attacking targets of convenience for the sake of the political effect on third parties, not to attacking the specific individuals who are personally causing you a problem. I think the term you're looking for is "road rage".
Do you have any information that it was road rage that caused the driver to run into pedestrians?

He stopped. Why? Why would a premeditating terrorist set out to terrorize suddenly just stop? But why he started up after stopping, (oh) that’s another matter that goes to show that people set out to find trouble sometimes find it. No one has a problem with protests (even so-called peaceful one’s), but even (euphemistically speaking, that is) inconveniences by people that otherwise peacefully protest piss drivers the fuck off.

What cause they have—absolutely immaterial. They could be protesting a movement to bring back child slavery and it wouldn’t make a shit difference. To answer your question (again), it’s why he started back up after stopping. Call it process of elimination or just an examination of the events, but even a little inductive reasoning need not guarantee a conclusion. It’s reasonable on the face of it—not just a mere possibility among a line of others.

I expect he expected them to jump out of the way and let him through. That's not the way the world works, though!

He stopped. Why? Why would a premeditating terrorist set out to terrorize suddenly just stop? But why he started up after stopping, (oh) that’s another matter that goes to show that people set out to find trouble sometimes find it. No one has a problem with protests (even so-called peaceful one’s), but even (euphemistically speaking, that is) inconveniences by people that otherwise peacefully protest piss drivers the fuck off.

What cause they have—absolutely immaterial. They could be protesting a movement to bring back child slavery and it wouldn’t make a shit difference. To answer your question (again), it’s why he started back up after stopping. Call it process of elimination or just an examination of the events, but even a little inductive reasoning need not guarantee a conclusion. It’s reasonable on the face of it—not just a mere possibility among a line of others.
First, you appear to be using deductive reasoning. More importantly, what does any of that have to do with information that road rage motivated this attacker?

In other words, when something is no-shit-Sherlock obvious but lacks an error-free guarantee, then what would otherwise be obvious is relegated to being as likely as anything else.

In other words, when something is no-shit-Sherlock obvious but lacks an error-free guarantee, then what would otherwise be obvious is relegated to being as likely as anything else.
If it were no-shit-Sherlock obvious, there'd have been a clear explanation instead of your word salad. Or are you saying you are incapable of explaining something that is no-shit-Sherlock obvious?

Really, it is possible it was road rage. It is possible it was simply anger at ICE protesters. Or he was hallucinating they were aliens. However, Bomb #20 offered up a particular answer - road rage, not a possibility.

The voices in his head of course.

To relish the moment of course. Right wing extremists are really a sick bunch.

Okay, then why that line? Did he pick a line of people where the absolute most carnage could be made, or did it happen to be somewhere they ought not be—like a roadway where traffic is being brought to a halt? People don’t like to be blocked in. Wanna see violence? Set up registers in grociery stores making it impossible to get out of line and leave. I saw a truck the other day drive over a two-foot embankment at one of those retarded Taco Bell drive thru’s.

Okay, then why that line?
They were blocking his way. Whether he was angry because he couldn't get to work and it was road rage or whether it was because he despised why they were protesting which would imply unpremeditated domestic terrorism is unknown. In either case, driving into people was, and it is completely unnecessary to have to say this, immoral.

Wanna see violence? Set up registers in grociery stores making it impossible to get out of line and leave. I saw a truck the other day drive over a two-foot embankment at one of those retarded Taco Bell drive thru’s.
First world tantrums.

The voices in his head of course.
I once made a snarky remark almost exactly like that one. I got infracted for it.

Do you have any information that it was terrorism and emboldenment by Trump that caused the driver to run into pedestrians?

Do you have any information that AirPoh has any information that it was terrorism and emboldenment by Trump that caused the driver to run into pedestrians?

I once made a snarky remark almost exactly like that one. I got infracted for it.

Do you have any information that it was terrorism and emboldenment by Trump that caused the driver to run into pedestrians?

Do you have any information that AirPoh has any information that it was terrorism and emboldenment by Trump that caused the driver to run into pedestrians?
No. I asked a simple question of you because I was under the hopeful impression that you might have actually had more information, because, at the time, there was no information about the driver's motivation.

When I saw the video footage of the incident (that appears to have alluded many contributors here in this thread), my reaction was that if I was there, I would likely have removed the attacker from his vehicle at gunpoint and placed him under citizens arrest for assault. And when he resisted, he would have been either shot or badly beaten into submission.
The video clearly shows a premeditated attack on peaceful protestors... not "road rage" or any other euphemistically forgiving categorization of his physical attack with a deadly weapon on peaceful persons.
Lurching a truck in the direction of pedestrians to get them to move out of your way is in no way (at all) any different than pointing an AR at them and racking the slide (chambering a bullet so it is ready to fire)

Then report it and don't whine about it.

We definitely have a poisoned well these days, where events like this draw nearly immediate judgment on cause / motive. Patience is dead and partisan judgments carry the weight of law for some. In fact, for some, the actual motive might never matter to them. We, as a people, need to slow the heck down.

When I saw the video footage of the incident (that appears to have alluded many contributors here in this thread), my reaction was that if I was there, I would likely have removed the attacker from his vehicle at gunpoint and placed him under citizens arrest for assault. And when he resisted, he would have been either shot or badly beaten into submission.
The video clearly shows a premeditated attack on peaceful protestors... not "road rage" or any other euphemistically forgiving categorization of his physical attack with a deadly weapon on peaceful persons.
Premeditation would imply he got into his truck with the intention of running over protesters. "Road rage" implies in the heat of the moment. His attack could have been politically motivated, without being premeditated.

Premeditation would imply he got into his truck with the intention of running over protesters. "Road rage" implies in the heat of the moment. His attack could have been politically motivated, without being premeditated.

not that it really matters, but it stopped being potential "road rage" when
a) he left the road to intentionally injure the protestors on the sidewalk (who were in the way of the entrance to the parking area, but not on a public road)
b) he paused for a few moments before deciding to continue to threaten them with deadly force
c) he clearly saw the pedestrian protestors and the person recording him, and thoughtfully (meditatively - before taking additional action.. i.e. pre-meditated) decided to take the additional action of lurching the vehicle forward into them.
d) there is no evidence he was somehow unaware of the protestor's presence outside his place of business prior to entering his vehicle to commute there. Such a presence could not have been any kind of reasonable surprise.

On what planet is premeditation incompatible with rage? And on what planet is "road rage" a "euphemistically forgiving categorization"? Throw the book at him.

Lurching a truck in the direction of pedestrians to get them to move out of your way is in no way (at all) any different than pointing an AR at them and racking the slide (chambering a bullet so it is ready to fire)
Of course.

not that it really matters, but it stopped being potential "road rage" when
a) he left the road to intentionally injure the protestors on the sidewalk (who were in the way of the entrance to the parking area, but not on a public road)
b) he paused for a few moments before deciding to continue to threaten them with deadly force
c) he clearly saw the pedestrian protestors and the person recording him, and thoughtfully (meditatively - before taking additional action.. i.e. pre-meditated) decided to take the additional action of lurching the vehicle forward into them.
That can still be heat of the moment, though it isn't literally a "moment". Premeditation implies planning, an intent to commit a crime. Rage implies sudden acts of anger. "Road rage" isn't a manner of self-defense.
d) there is no evidence he was somehow unaware of the protestor's presence outside his place of business prior to entering his vehicle to commute there.
Wha? Are you suggesting that there can be evidence of him not knowing something? Certainly, if the act was premeditated and he knew about these people there while driving to work, he'd have just plowed right through them.

On what planet is premeditation incompatible with rage?
It sounds like you are implying that the euphemism "Road Rage" embodies all "rage". It doesn't.
And on what planet is "road rage" a "euphemistically forgiving categorization"? Throw the book at him.
I know, right!!??! Earth, for one. I'm not saying, "oh well, maybe it was just road rage, is all...." I am RESPONDING to it from others here. It sounded to me like they are saying that "road Rage" is more "forgivable" than some other forms of rage... like the rage one feels when people point out how unethical and wrong their views are... implying they are immoral.

Of course.

I'll hold you to that position :)... on other threads more directly related to the use of guns / cars and which of them are more in need of regulation / restriction of ownership.

I know, right!!??! Earth, for one. I'm not saying, "oh well, maybe it was just road rage, is all...." I am RESPONDING to it from others here. It sounded to me like they are saying that "road Rage" is more "forgivable" than some other forms of rage... like the rage one feels when people point out how unethical and wrong their views are... implying they are immoral.
Wow. Talk about a swing and a miss.

Back
Top Bottom