• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Aboriginal Civil Disobedience

This thread is about the RCC being responsible for the murder of hundreds (of known cases) of children.

Let me ask, as I don't claim to understand foreign cultures in the 19th century.

Which is the more accurate description of the events?

A) The Canadian people, represented by their democratically elected government, decided to "civilize" indigenous kids. The Canadian people chartered and funded and oversaw these genocidal schools. Some Catholic clergy agreed to operate the facilities.

B) Some Catholic clergy snuck onto "indigenous lands", then kidnapped, abused, and murdered children.

One of those two scenarios is much closer to the historical truth than the other. I believe it's A).

If I believed in arson as a way to get even, which I don't, I'd suggest burning down some government buildings in Victoria or Ottawa. Maybe even the towns in which the churches were burned.

Why burn Catholic churches when the government was in charge of the situation?
Tom

laughing dog said:
Those "schools" were run in the name of the RCC. No one is arguing that the RCC or its officials should be jailed or even fined. But if the RCC wishes to maintain some (if any) of its moral authority, it needs to admit to the wrongdoing in its name and under it aegis, and apologize.
Well, given the number of people irrationally blaming 'it', maybe that would be a rational means-to-end method, but not a proper apology.
Your conclusion is not at all derived from that premise.
Leaving aside the possible rationality of an insincere apology to appease so many people who are being irrational and who blame the innocent, "it" should not admit to the wrongdoing, because the people who would be admitting to the wrongdoing did not do anything wrong!! (in this case). Other people did. An apology involves a recognition of guilt, and a promise not to do it again. Francis is not guilty of this.
Yes, apology does involve recognition of guilt. In this case, it is the RCC. It is not irrational to hold the guilty responsible. The Pope is the leader of the RCC. It is appropriate for the leader of an institution that preaches about morality and aspires to uphold morality to acknowledge the wrong doing done under its name and to apologize for it in the name of the RCC.

IMO, it is irrational and immoral to argue otherwise.

What you see in the "souls of man" is not there. You are imagining things. The real issue of disagreement the blaming of innocent people, and the actions taken against innocent people.

Is that what you think it is? That in itself is curious because people have explained their point of disagreement, and that is NOT my point of disagreement.

The disagreement is whether you can elevate people to positions of leadership, and support their continued elevation, while being unconnected to their crimes. It is about whether to can hang out regularly in a Nazi bar, filled with nazi sympathysers, and still claim to not be one yourself. It is about whether you can give money to the coffers of those who commit heinous crimes, and claim to be innocent. It is about whether you can learn of the heinous crimes supported by your money, your time, your membership, and then say, “it wasn’t me.” It is about whether you can work to support a structure that gives power to these criminals and then say their power does not depend on you.

The disagreement is about WHETHER they are innocent people.
You seem to be claiming that point is settled. It is not.

The kidnapping and murder of children is a heinous crime, but no one defends it here; no disagreement is involved.

Indeed there is disagreement. About how closely you can socialize and conspire with the doers of heinous crime, and still avoid all culpability, legally and morally.

Martin Luther King Jr. said:
For evil to succeed, all it needs is for good men to do nothing.

Martin Luther King Jr. said:
“First, I must confess that over the last few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season."

Shallow understanding from people of goodwill is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will. Lukewarm acceptance is much more bewildering than outright rejection."

The crimes of organizations, whether it is a mob, a corporation, a religion, a “sun down town,” or the Catholic church, the ongoing crimes of these organizations depend upon the power of organization to be repeated decade after decade.

The thousands of rape cases against priests, who used the social and legal power of the church to avoid detection and to moe to a new place and victimize new people, required that power to get away with it. That power came from the parishioners. That ability to to continue was built by the voluntary contributions of money and membership that made the church big enough to be used for evil. Many of those leaders are still in place, and the people who give them legitimacy are the parishioners.

The crimes of the residential schools relied upon the name, history and power of the catholic church. When the indigenous people complained, the everyday parishioners stood silent. Or even defended their institution - the institution that protected the heinous criminals. People who murdered children.. This news is not new. They have been telling us for decades. Decades. And each member of that religion has continued to let their leaders do it. They have not called for the actions to find the bodies of the dead. They are culpable for that. They never called for the closing of the schools run in their name. They are guilty of that. They have not even acknowledged the crimes. They are guilty of that.

You continue to argue that giving them money does not contribute to the crime. You continue to argue that being a member, and allowing them to say, “we have a billion members to give us power” does not contribute ot the cover up.

Ask yourself WHY are these crimes still uncovered? WHO is responsible for the wall of silence? They are guilty.

Every word you write is an argument that this should be shrugged off because you don’t think anyone should be made to look for more recent murders. No one should be able to force the church to check they back yards for bodies. “Hey, you have to give me an actual murderer before anyone is culpable. And without that, we sweep it under the rug… still.

I keep reading what you write and while you say, “someone did something heinous,” you follow it up by saying, but they are probably dead and since no one else is responsible, you people are wrong to force the Catholic Church to be treated as a suspect.

A landlord owns a thousand proprties, the first two have bodies in them. But we can’t claim the superintendant should be arrested because…. They succeeded in distancing themselves. “Nice tribe you have there, it would be a shame if something happened to it.” But, who, me? I didn’t do anything worong.

It’s really really disturbing how little you have cared to discuss what should be done about the thousands of murdered children who are still missing, and the RCC who refuses to look for them. And you say, “Yeah, I agree they shouldn’t have to look. I have all these little explanations for why they are not culpable, if you hold it just so and shine a blacklight on it from a 20 degree angle at sunset.”

I find your energy in making sure no one is examined to be very disturbing.

Thanos: (snap) "I cleared the universe of Catholics a century before the events occured."
Me: "Oh, I see. If the Catholic church didn't exist, its facilities would not have been used to commit the atrocity right?"
Thanos: "It's inevitable."
Me: "Presuming that means I'm correct; would I be in error to conclude that those keeping the Catholic Church in operation over the course of many years indirectly assisted in said atrocities?"
Thanos: "Perfectly balanced, as all things should be."

Thanos: (snap) "I cleared the universe of Catholics a century before the events occured."
Me: "Oh, I see. If the Catholic church didn't exist, its facilities would not have been used to commit the atrocity right?"
Me: "Presuming that means I'm correct; would I be in error to conclude that those keeping the Catholic Church in operation over the course of many years indirectly assisted in said atrocities?"

Sorry if I'm an old fart.

What does "Thanos" mean?
Is that some fictional character resembling God?
Tom

Sorry if I'm an old fart.

What does "Thanos" mean?
Is that some fictional character resembling God?
Tom

It's a fictional character from the Marvel Universe. Not knowing Thano's wouldn't make you an old fort, on the other hand mistaking Critical Race Theory for Cathode-ray tube, does. :D

It's a fictional character from the Marvel Universe. Not knowing Thano's wouldn't make you an old fort, on the other hand mistaking Critical Race Theory for Cathode-ray tube, does. :D

LOL

This thread is about the RCC being responsible for the murder of hundreds (of known cases) of children.

Let me ask, as I don't claim to understand foreign cultures in the 19th century.

A) The Canadian people, represented by their democratically elected government, decided to "civilize" indigenous kids. The Canadian people chartered and funded and oversaw these genocidal schools. Some Catholic clergy agreed to operate the facilities.

B) Some Catholic clergy snuck onto "indigenous lands", then kidnapped, abused, and murdered children.

One of those two scenarios is much closer to the historical truth than the other. I believe it's A).

If I believed in arson as a way to get even, which I don't, I'd suggest burning down some government buildings in Victoria or Ottawa. Maybe even the towns in which the churches were burned.

Tom

I'm with you on the not believing in arson thing. To answer your question, it's both A & B (minus the sneaking party, as the children were forced to attend the school like children are currently forced to attend school in the US). The real question you should be asking is why did they decide to burn down the churches and not the government buildings. Again I do not agree with arson, but I believe the answer to my own question is the bodies were found on Catholic property.

Tom

If you’re actually interested in these residential schools, you could try doing a google search or just read this link:

https://www.anishinabek.ca/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/An-Overview-of-the-IRS-System-Booklet.pdf

And this one: https://indigenouspeoplesatlasofcanada.ca/article/history-of-residential-schools/

. The Canadian government pursued this policy of cultural genocide because it wished to divest itself of its legal and financial obligations to Aboriginal people and gain control over their land and resources. If every Aboriginal person had been ‘absorbed into the body politic,’ there would be no reserves, no Treaties, and no Aboriginal rights.

And this one: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Indian_residential_school_system

If you’re actually interested in these residential schools, you could try doing a google search or just read this link:

https://www.anishinabek.ca/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/An-Overview-of-the-IRS-System-Booklet.pdf

And this one: https://indigenouspeoplesatlasofcanada.ca/article/history-of-residential-schools/

. The Canadian government pursued this policy of cultural genocide because it wished to divest itself of its legal and financial obligations to Aboriginal people and gain control over their land and resources. If every Aboriginal person had been ‘absorbed into the body politic,’ there would be no reserves, no Treaties, and no Aboriginal rights.

And this one: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Indian_residential_school_system

I'm really not much interested in the ugliness of foreign places or old cultures. History is full of such horrors.

I'm more concerned about what's going on in the modern world. And what kind of future that is going to result in.
Tom

I'm really not much interested in the ugliness of foreign places or old cultures. History is full of such horrors.

I'm more concerned about what's going on in the modern world. And what kind of future that is going to result in.
Tom

Good luck trying to peep into the future without using historical data. I hope you don't invest in the stock markets yourself friend.

Tom

Good luck trying to peep into the future without using historical data. I hope you don't invest in the stock markets yourself friend.

I'm trying to use historical data.

Like the schools were government schools.
Tom

Tom

Tom

That's what POST#289 was.

Tom
It really helps to know where one has been in order to speculate about the where one is going.

For some reason, I can't help but think about Mr. Miyagi right now.

Tom

Tom

This ^^ ^^ seems to contradict this post you made just a little while ago:

Tom

So which is it, Tom? Are you interested in 'foreign places (Canada????) or old cultures? Or are you interested in data. Because you cannot have data divorced from the sources of the data, or without recognizing what the data represents, the lives lost and how they were lost. I understand that it is really, really painful. It's painful for me to recognize some of the less than savory parts of my family history that includes people I know/knew and love/loved.

I don't know what to tell you, Tom. History IS full of such horrors as an invading culture attempting to wipe out the existing culture of the indigenous peoples. That, and the damage done, the damage that is still rippling through Native peoples and cultures and frankly, through white cultures is why those churches were burned.

At least the Canadian government has made some recognition of its wrongs and has offered some apologies and even made some attempts at restitution. So should all of the churches so involved in the atrocities that are known to have been standard residential school life. Right now, we're talking about the RCC, which has finally agreed to plan a meeting for the end of the year. A LONG way away from issuing an apology for the ill treatment received by its students in the Indian residential schools.

That's troubling for a lot of reasons, not the least of which is that the Catholic Church has long had, as an article of faith, that one must confess one's sins, ask for forgiveness and to do a penance/make amends as best as possible. This is what it asks of its faithful. Why cannot it ask it of itself?

Is the RCC afraid pf admitting its flaws? Its sins? Is it afraid of losing followers if it is seen to be less than perfect?

Or is it more concerned about losing money?

FULL DISCLOSURE
I've stopped following Metaphor down every ideological rabbit hole he links to as well.
Tom

That wasn't Metaphor's post with links, Tom. It was mine.

Get it?
Tom

Nope.

Since when is Wikipedia an 'ideological rabbit hole?" Or Canadian Geographic?

Or is your point that you can't tell a reliable source from an ideologically based rabbit hole?

Back
Top Bottom