• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Aboriginal Civil Disobedience

What, does the circumstance that many of the local Metis converted to the oppressors' religion make their descendants hereditary race traitors who don't qualify to have an equal say over who has permission to have a building on the tribal lands of First Nations people?

That's what this thread is mostly about. Hating Catholics.

If child mortality rates in the 19th century doesn't work, switch to grave markers. If grave markers don't work, switch to parental notifications.

If your goal is to hate Catholic people you'll find a way.
Tom
Wow. No I do not hate Catholics nor do I hate the Catholic Church.

But cool deflection.

Do you hate brown people? Or just First Nations/Native Americans? Why does it upset you so much that a group of peoples who have been gravely wronged strike back by…..burning down empty structures sitting on their land?

What, does the circumstance that many of the local Metis converted to the oppressors' religion make their descendants hereditary race traitors who don't qualify to have an equal say over who has permission to have a building on the tribal lands of First Nations people?

That's what this thread is mostly about. Hating Catholics.

If child mortality rates in the 19th century doesn't work, switch to grave markers. If grave markers don't work, switch to parental notifications.

If your goal is to hate Catholic people you'll find a way.
Tom

I don't hate all Catholics. I just hate the ones that do horrific shit.

Do you think the parishioners who attended those churches do horrific shit?
Tom

I don't hate all Catholics. I just hate the ones that do horrific shit.

Do you think the parishioners who attended those churches do horrific shit?
Tom

Have you been reading this thread? I'll answer your question and mine in one word. No

Do you think it possible that some First Nation people have adopted that most pagan of Christian denominations, Catholicism?

Because you didn't really answer both questions.

If the people who went to church in those buildings were both Catholic and Native, then what you're arguing is that Natives don't have freedom of religion. They must adhere to your ideological beliefs, or have their churches burned down.
Tom

Have you been reading this thread? I'll answer your question and mine in one word. No

Do you think it possible that some First Nation people have adopted that most pagan of Christian denominations, Catholicism?

If the people who went to church in those buildings were both Catholic and Native, then what you're arguing is that Natives don't have freedom of religion. They must adhere to your ideological beliefs, or have their churches burned down.
Tom

1. Yes, Gospel did answer both questions.
2. False dichotomy AND deflection.

If I were to build a structure on your property, would you have the right to burn it down (assuming you had appropriate fire permits)?

Tom

Look Tucker J, Haniitty, you have to ask the question first before declaring I didn't answer mmkay. Now, forgive me cause I'm having a hard time trying to decode what you're on about. I think you're (1) saying that the current members of the church are indigenous, local, and foreign Catholics (to my knowledge that is the case), and (2) you're asking if I believe they do horrific shit? If so, yes I answered your question and my answer is no. The other question (mine) was whether you were reading this thread and my answer to that is no as well. Because if you were reading it you wouldn't ask me if I think the current church members do horrific shit.

Quappelle-indian-school-sask.jpg

This is a photograph of the Qu'appele Indian Industrial school. The Natives camped out side the school in the foreground hoping to get a glimpse of their children.

If I were to build a structure on your property, would you have the right to burn it down

Who is "I" and"your" in this sentence?
If some Catholics, with Native American heritage, are using a building as a place of worship they have the right to their property. Violent ideologues don't have any right to burn it down.
Tom

If I were to build a structure on your property, would you have the right to burn it down

If some Catholics, with Native American heritage, are using a building as a place of worship they have the right to their property. Violent ideologues don't have any right to burn it down.
Tom

Ahh, they don't have the right to burn it down no matter the nationality of its users. I think you're just upset that I'm not angry about it being burned down. It's hard for me to be angry with the people who burned it down because I sympathize with their reason. I also sympathize with the people affected by the destruction who aren't at fault.

What is so hard to swallow about that?

Normally, I would be very much against burning down buildings, especially to make a point but...

WOW. Never in a million years would I have guessed you had something in common with anti-abortionists.
Technically, the anti-abortionists (the Christians running the institutions) were the ones responsible for the deaths and abuse.

That's not a technicality.

Tom

Ahh, they don't have the right to burn it down no matter the nationality of its users. I think you're just upset that I'm not angry about it being burned down. It's hard for me to be angry with the people who burned it down because I sympathize with their reason. I also sympathize with the people affected by the destruction who aren't at fault.

The churches were on FIrst Nations land. Perhaps they DID have the right to burn down the churches. I don't know much about Canadian law. But here in the US, if someone built a church or a dog house or put up a sign on my land and I didn't want it there, I could remove it or destroy it or, assuming I had appropriate permits, burn it down.

The churches were on FIrst Nations land. Perhaps they DID have the right to burn down the churches. I don't know much about Canadian law. But here in the US, if someone built a church or a dog house or put up a sign on my land and I didn't want it there, I could remove it or destroy it or, assuming I had appropriate permits, burn it down.

I agree with that but I feel like a point was just abducted. :alien:

Apparently, the Pope is now moved to agree to receive representatives of First Nations and other tribal leaders in December.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/30/world/canada/pope-francis-residential-schools-apology.html

It's a long piece but interesting enough to give it a read. I have a NYT subscription so I can read it but for those who don't have one, I used to simply use a private browser to get around paywalls. If people have problems, please let me know and I'll see if I can help.

It's hard for me to be angry with the people who burned it down because I sympathize with their reason.

So it's hard for you be angry with the people who burned down the churches of Native American people because you sympathize with people who hate them?

That's what you're saying here.
Tom

It's hard for me to be angry with the people who burned it down because I sympathize with their reason.

So it's hard for you be angry with the people who burned down the churches of Native American people because you sympathize with people who hate them?

Tom

No, it's not.

Tom

No, it's not.

It's not?

Who are the people who used the buildings?

They were on aboriginal land. What makes you think that the buildings were being used regularly by other folks?
Tom

Back
Top Bottom