• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Affluenza alert: Rich Ferrari-driving businessman gets work release after 7th DUI

George Oilwell

Basic Beliefs
Shameless Lefty
Now, instead of facing time in jail, Goodman was sentenced to a year of work release. The protestors contend that his sentencing indicates that the court system treats the rich differently than it does the poor when it comes to DUI offenses.

“And the judge has said at some point that he’s an important businessman in the community,” local resident Sam Miller said. “It wouldn’t be fair for him [and] his employees would suffer if he went to real jail. And my question is — what about the people that might suffer if he kills somebody?”
Affluenza alert: Rich Ferrari-driving businessman gets work release after 7th DUI

If he was poor, and or black there is no way the judge would have been so lenient.

Wow. The State of Minnesota put my sister through the ringer for her second DUI, and as they should have.

Equal protection under the law my ass.

Eh, a lot of unknowns here. The quote that the guy received a lenient sentence because he is a business man does not come from a court transcript; just some local resident dude named Sam Miller. Who's he in all of this? But Washington, lot most states, probably, has mandatory minimum sentencing for DUI. See here: http://www.courts.wa.gov/newsinfo/content/duigrid/duiGrid_20130928.pdf If this guy has priors, how far back did they go? If so far back that this time is considered a first offense, this is much ado about nothing.

Eh, a lot of unknowns here. The quote that the guy received a lenient sentence because he is a business man does not come from a court transcript; just some local resident dude named Sam Miller. Who's he in all of this? But Washington, lot most states, probably, has mandatory minimum sentencing for DUI. See here: http://www.courts.wa.gov/newsinfo/content/duigrid/duiGrid_20130928.pdf If this guy has priors, how far back did they go? If so far back that this time is considered a first offense, this is much ado about nothing.
Sorry, 7 DUIs indicates a real problem and danger to the local citizens regardless of the time elapsed from the previous convictions.

"— what about the people that might suffer if he kills somebody?”

Don't let it be you, because whoever it is will be somehow painted as having deserved it.

Justice has always been for sale. Honestly, I'm shocked people are honestly surprised by this. Prison isn't exactly full of rich people.

Back
Top Bottom