• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Afghan "train, advise and assist" 1984 style

Well, it is now pretty much official more US soldiers are going to be heading to Afghanistan as SecDef Mattis has been surging for a new orgasm. It is probably only a question of is it 3,000ish or 5,000ish...
http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/13/politics/pentagon-afghanistan-troop-levels/index.html
"At noon yesterday, President Trump delegated to me the authority to manage troop numbers in Afghanistan," Mattis told the Senate Appropriations Committee during a hearing on the Pentagon's budget request.
"The delegation of this authority, consistent with the authority President Trump granted me two months ago for Iraq and Syria, does not at this time change the troop numbers for Afghanistan," Mattis added.
"This assures the department can facilitate our missions and nimbly align our commitment to the situation on the ground," he said of the new authority.

Meanwhile 3 more US soldiers dead from a green on blue attack; 3ish (nobody really cares about how many) Afghani police killed accidentally by US air support; and a few more dead civilians...oops. Besides what is another annual $5 to $10 billion being dumped into that swamp matter...

From 28 April 2017:
The 2016 ignored campaign issue is now quietly seeing some mission creep. And 2 more US soldiers died as the Taliban spring offensive has now begun.

300 Marines were announced to be heading out to help stop the full collapse of the infamous Helmand Province to the Taliban:
http://www.military.com/daily-news/...o-southern-afghanistan-taliban-see-gains.html

Now 1,500 Army soldiers are going to also be heading out for maybe just another rotation, depending on just the meaning of 'largely':
http://www.newsweek.com/us-army-send-troops-afghanistan-summer-2017-591313
uccino said the soldiers, who were due to head out in approximately five weeks, would largely be replacing personnel of the 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 101st Airborne Division, which deployed around 1,400 troops to Afghanistan last year, and other units.
Well, evidently the word 'largely' must be related to the word 'is'. Not that I'm particularly bothered that they didn't let the word out as the US evidently wanted to also ramp up for the spring offensive, quietly to boot. In the long term playing hush hush on troop levels is pretty silly, but on the scale of El Cheato's BS, tis pretty minor. So El Cheato may be roughly doubling the troop count to something around 16,000 with his Lite Surge II. Maybe they can make Pepe their hoorah mascot. I'm sure it will magically do something far better than the grand successes of the 30,000 soldier surge. I'm sure El Cheato can do a better job arm twisting Pakistan, when we need them even more for transporting 8,000 more soldiers and supplies back-n-forth...sure Donny.

http://taskandpurpose.com/afghanistan-troop-levels-pentagon/
Less than 24 hours after Trump’s Afghanistan speech, the Wall Street Journal reported that the DoD has maintained some 12,000 troops in the country for months — around 3,500 more than the Pentagon has acknowledged in the past.

Alas, now we are up to 11 US soldiers dead this year in The War that Never Ends. There are probably 3 times that in serious permanent injuries that aren't important enough to discuss, along with un-cared about thousands of dead Afghans. A minor further detail, another probably an additional $10-15 billion flushed into the swamp each year on top of the current $45-55 billion.

These situations are dicey and I fall more into the category of, you broke it... now it is your responsibility. The media likes to to say Afghanistan is our longest conflict, but such a statement is such an asterisk. US troops have been in Germany and Japan for how long?! The Korean War is still technically alive, and our troops are still there.

The George W Bush Administration mistook the ease of displacing the Taliban as the ease of eliminating the Taliban, and ulitmately looked towards Iraq to continue bringing the message of Justice. Whether this was the Point of No Return, we'll never know, but the loss of focus in Afghanistan was our fault, not the Afghans.

Here are a couple important maps.

Population Density, ie, where the people live... the people whose lives are significantly impacted by our actions.
Afghan_Pop.jpg

Afghanistan under who's control?

aug2017-control-Artboard_1.jpg

Dark orange is Taliban control, light orange is Taliban presence, red is whatever the fuck radicals that want to call themselves ISIS.

We've been here before. The US left the proxy war in Afghanistan, ultimately to become the very cradle that would soothe the ailing al Qaeda when it was booted from Africa. Then they would strike the US on 9/11, which has kind of given the US a major chip on the shoulder.

When you look at Iraq and the retaking of Mosul, and the general defeat of ISIS in that small portion of the world, it teaches us that it is possible to help train the nations we fucked up, how to solve the problems we largely created. Obviously Iraq was and is several lightyears ahead of where Afghanistan is development wise (even prior to 9/11). But honestly, to say it costs to much, that the human toll (I'm sorry, the US soldier toll) is too high to fix our fuck up... is bullshit. To say that we've been there too long, while we've had troops in Germany and Japan for 80 years is supreme bullshit. This is more about how some Americans don't think that the locals are worth it. It is obvious, without the US, a major shitstorm will follow, and it'll cost a lot more people their lives, and a lot of women (that dared to step into the 21st century from the 19th) will suffer greatly. That decision was made back in the 80s as well, and... that bit the US in the ass real hard nearing on 16 years ago.

The US made a choice in 2001. We must not give up. Yeah, it is hard. Yeah, victory will likely never be what we wanted in a Hollywood sense, but the US has an obligation. To turn back on it would be a disgrace.

These situations are dicey and I fall more into the category of, you broke it... now it is your responsibility. The media likes to to say Afghanistan is our longest conflict, but such a statement is such an asterisk. US troops have been in Germany and Japan for how long?! The Korean War is still technically alive, and our troops are still there.
Factually, SK and Germany are quite irrelevant to the Af-Pack situation. We aren’t at combat nor are our solders coming home with missing limb and PTSD due to deployments there. When was the last US soldier killed by hostile fire in SK? And how many in the last 16 years?

The George W Bush Administration mistook the ease of displacing the Taliban as the ease of eliminating the Taliban, and ulitmately looked towards Iraq to continue bringing the message of Justice. Whether this was the Point of No Return, we'll never know, but the loss of focus in Afghanistan was our fault, not the Afghans.
The Shrub never had focus to lose in Afghanistan. Destroying shit is the easy part, even a moron should have figured that out.

<snipped good maps>

We've been here before. The US left the proxy war in Afghanistan, ultimately to become the very cradle that would soothe the ailing al Qaeda when it was booted from Africa. Then they would strike the US on 9/11, which has kind of given the US a major chip on the shoulder.

When you look at Iraq and the retaking of Mosul, and the general defeat of ISIS in that small portion of the world, it teaches us that it is possible to help train the nations we fucked up, how to solve the problems we largely created. Obviously Iraq was and is several lightyears ahead of where Afghanistan is development wise (even prior to 9/11).
Are you talking about the Iraq that is now pretty much a rump state, fighting to regain the western front from ISIS, that wouldn’t have happened without significant Iranian help? Yeah, we did fuck up good there, as we and our Sunni allies helped create the ISIS Frankenstein monster that we now are trying to ‘fix’. We didn’t solve shit there…as well is being a derail from the issues around Af-Pak.

But honestly, to say it costs to much, that the human toll (I'm sorry, the US soldier toll) is too high to fix our fuck up... is bullshit.
My point is not so much that the cost is too high, as there is no solution we can impose upon Af-Pak, not 5 years ago, not this year, nor in 10 years within the constraints of what the general public would tolerate for ‘helping’ Afghanistan.

To say that we've been there too long, while we've had troops in Germany and Japan for 80 years is supreme bullshit.
Well there certainly is some BS, but again it has nothing to do with our conflict in Af-Pak.

This is more about how some Americans don't think that the locals are worth it.
I’m sure some think that way, but that is not my point nor my POV.

It is obvious, without the US, a major shitstorm will follow, and it'll cost a lot more people their lives, and a lot of women (that dared to step into the 21st century from the 19th) will suffer greatly. That decision was made back in the 80s as well, and... that bit the US in the ass real hard nearing on 16 years ago.

The US made a choice in 2001. We must not give up. Yeah, it is hard. Yeah, victory will likely never be what we wanted in a Hollywood sense, but the US has an obligation. To turn back on it would be a disgrace.
So when the US finally bugged out of Vietnam, a shitstorm followed an lots of people suffered. However, we were never going to be able to ‘fix it’. After a long time they emerged and are doing tolerably ok. If we had never aide the French with their pet dictator, Vietnam would have fallen, a shitstorm would have hit 15 years earlier, and they would probably have emerged from it much sooner without the western elongated war. The only plausible window of opportunity died within the Shrub administration. Pres. Obama, dealing with the financial crisis, could have never done what was needed to give civilizing a chance, even if it was still possible 8 years ago.

The US cannot ‘fix’ Afghanistan in any period of time, without a massive occupation force (and far fewer contractors). Even with Pres. Obama’s 30,000 soldier surge to 100,000, all we were able to do was to temporarily stabilize the majority of the country. The American public would not tolerate garrisoning roughly 150,000 soldiers in Afghanistan for the decade it would probably require to stabilize the place at this stage of the play. One thing that would absolutely be required, would be to partially create a DMZ along the Pakistan border in those very high mountains. We can’t make Pakistan do shit, but we could seal up the border at a high cost. And that assume that Pakistan wouldn’t get so pissed off that it tells us to fuck off and stay out of their ports and airspace. Then how do we get stuff in/out of Afghanistan? Beg for favors from Russia again; kiss and make up with Iran; bribe Turkmenistan, Azerbaijan, and Georgia to let us fly over from Europe and hope Russia doesn’t coopt one of them? Current reality: Pakistan has been getting more chummy with China, so they need the US less; Iran and Russia probably have started lightly aiding the Taliban, so if we tried to up the ante they might as well.

The game of the last few years is a pathetic and sick joke, Lite Surge II is no different. Both are a disgrace. Doing more of the same is a strange version of ‘not giving up’. It is not a disgrace to admit the truth that we don’t have the stomach to do what would be necessary to civilize Afghanistan in the face of the interests of the other countries bordering the area. El Cheato isn’t going to do the right thing. So then after 20 years of doing the same shit, do you think the next President could convince the American public to a massive and indefinite surge?

I'm more thinking we need to recalibrate what an acceptable outcome is in Afghanistan. "Victory" isn't going to be it. We can't fix Afghanistan, there is just not enough infrastructure in place for it to work on its own. If the US left Iraq in '06, like some here suggested, do you think it would have gotten better on its own? And yes, "better" doesn't mean "great", but it does mean improved.

There is no easy solution, in fact, there is no solution, only options. But I think abandoning Afghanistan is a disgraceful option. The best choice is the minimal number of troops in Afghanistan to prevent the Taliban and radical groups using the ISIS flag from running amok. We aren't going to retake all of Afghanistan, but I believe we need to aim to sustain areas where most of the people live.

I'm more thinking we need to recalibrate what an acceptable outcome is in Afghanistan. "Victory" isn't going to be it. We can't fix Afghanistan, there is just not enough infrastructure in place for it to work on its own. If the US left Iraq in '06, like some here suggested, do you think it would have gotten better on its own? And yes, "better" doesn't mean "great", but it does mean improved.

There is no easy solution, in fact, there is no solution, only options. But I think abandoning Afghanistan is a disgraceful option. The best choice is the minimal number of troops in Afghanistan to prevent the Taliban and radical groups using the ISIS flag from running amok. We aren't going to retake all of Afghanistan, but I believe we need to aim to sustain areas where most of the people live.

You realize that whatever "solution" ends up happening is almost certainly going to involve cooperation *with the Taliban*, leaving Afghanistan pretty much in the same place as 2001.

And by the way, it would be a pretty minor disgrace in a very long list of disgraceful behaviors. The opportunity to not be a disgrace has long since passed.

Also, with regards to your point about Iraq:

When you look at Iraq and the retaking of Mosul, and the general defeat of ISIS in that small portion of the world, it teaches us that it is possible to help train the nations we fucked up, how to solve the problems we largely created.

Yeah.... not really. If you think the problems in Iraq are anywhere near "solved" I think you are in for a disappointment. The Sunni are in for some shit. Indeed, this is already happening, but because it is "our side" that is committing the atrocities, you don't really hear about it. So if by "solved" you mean "helped Iran solidify it's grip on the Shia areas of Mesopotamia", then yeah, it's "solved."

The real problem in Iraq is the sectarian strife. There is pretty much no going back, and we are dealing with a population that is about 60% under 25-years old, so people who have only known war and destruction, with plently of blood on both sides. And there is no way to fix it - the solution to this was Baathism, i.e. Pan-Arab nationalism, be we made sure to destroy that.

I found Pres. Obama's wind down of the Iraqi occupation reasonable enough. But when we left at Iraq's government insistence, it was obvious that there was already a simmering Sunni issue. You will need to mine your data very carefully to come up with 'improved' in Iraq, but go ahead and work on building a case:
https://www.iraqbodycount.org/database/
Either way, Iraq is still a long way from regaining any form of cohesive national organization, even ignoring the Kurdish sector gaining even more autonomy (which is ok with me). However, Iran and Turkey won't take kindly to a rising Kurdish state. Even though ISIS is fading, that doesn't mean the skirmishes and Sunni unrest in western Iraq are going away. And SA and its Sunni piglets probably won't stop their machinations. But El Cheato will probably be able to declare victory within the year and pull out our forces.

Well, those minimal troops have already been part to a slow 2 year Taliban gaining territory and control of population. The central government is again under strain from many sides as people get more frustrated. The Afghan military is taking huge loses that they probably can't sustain over several more years. We ain't 'sustaining' it now...we are in a slow controlled bleed.
http://dailycaller.com/2017/05/08/t...ation-as-trump-considers-sending-more-troops/
The Taliban exerts significant control over nearly one-third of the Afghan population, a new United Nations report reviewed by The Wall Street Journal reveals.

The report also found the terrorist movement increased the amount of territory under its control from 30 percent to 40 percent of the country. The group has flourished since the end of the U.S. combat mission in 2014 now controlling more territory than at any time since the U.S. invasion since 2001.

And I don't find the mantra of 'we need to make sure another 911 doesn't come from breeding grounds in Afghanistan' to be very compelling. History rhymes far more than it duplicates. Why aren't we occupying Yemen, Somalia, et.al.? More broadly, most of our military efforts in the greater ME is a Yuge banner for Muslims to choose to hate America.

Without security, no investment is possible. So how can their infrastructure improve?

What we usually do, like in '02, is find a strongman to deal with, which doesn't work out well.

I agree that from the perspective of our global military presence, Afghanistan is minor. Not that we deserve the security we do get out of it.

Personally, I think that is a pipe dream. First our military would have a hissy fit. Secondly, any private merc group would never get rights to all the intel, nor the planes/bombs/missiles they would need. And thirdly, Afghanistan might not agree to such BS.

Sounds like a nightmare. Supposedly Kushner and Bannon were pushing it.
Yeah, a nightmare...Nightmare before Kabul? Directed by Tim Burton and Rob Zombie...

Personally, I think that is a pipe dream. First our military would have a hissy fit. Secondly, any private merc group would never get rights to all the intel, nor the planes/bombs/missiles they would need. And thirdly, Afghanistan might not agree to such BS.

See Bush II in Iraq, burned bodies hanging from a bridge, and Abu Ghraib prison. Private mercenaries threw a huge monkey wrench into that war.

See Bush II in Iraq, burned bodies hanging from a bridge, and Abu Ghraib prison. Private mercenaries threw a huge monkey wrench into that war.
Sure there were lots problems with having contractor-mercs, but they are still very much involved. It just doesn't get the headlines unless someone throws a puppy off a cliff. Butchered Afghan Muslim children aren't nearly so news worthy. A minor detail: If I remember correctly, the Abu Ghraib prison fiasco was largely within military ranks.

The below is from May 2016. Do you think El Cheato has reduced the contractor-merc count? It is just another way to make the occupation/deaths more palatable for the Merican public. Oh look a Kardashian...I'm sorry what were you droning on about...
http://foreignpolicy.com/2016/05/18...obamas-military-mercenaries-iraq-afghanistan/
Obama has authorized the continuation or re-emergence of two of the most contractor-dependent wars (or “overseas contingency operations” in Pentagon-speak) in U.S. history. As noted previously, there are roughly three contractors (28,626) for every U.S. troops (9,800) in Afghanistan, far above the contractor per uniformed military personnel average of America’s previous wars. In Iraq today, 7,773 contractors support U.S. government operations — and 4,087 U.S. troops.
<snip>
Between Jan. 1, 2009, and March 31, 2016, 1,540 contractors were killed in Iraq and Afghanistan (176 in Iraq and 1,364 in Afghanistan). During that period, 1,301 U.S. troops were killed in Afghanistan and Iraq (289 in Iraq and 1,012 in Afghanistan). Last year was even more skewed toward contractors than the preceding six years; 58 contractors died in Afghanistan or Iraq, while less than half as many U.S. troops did (27) fighting in either country, including Syria.

The first thing you learn when studying the role contractors play in U.S. military operations is there’s no easy way to do so.

This newer Prince-Bannon notion is a much larger scale of merc involvement.

A minor detail: If I remember correctly, the Abu Ghraib prison fiasco was largely within military ranks.

The scandal has also brought to light the growing and largely unregulated role of private contractors in the interrogation of detainees.

According to lawyers for some of the soldiers, they claimed to be acting in part under the instruction of mercenary interrogators hired by the Pentagon.

A military report into the Abu Ghraib case - parts of which were made available to the Guardian - makes it clear that private contractors were supervising interrogations in the prison, which was notorious for torture and executions under Saddam Hussein.

One civilian contractor was accused of raping a young male prisoner but has not been charged because military law has no jurisdiction over him.

Hired guns from a wide array of private security firms are playing a central role in the US-led occupation of Iraq.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2004/apr/30/television.internationalnews

ETA:
Employees of private military company CACI and Titan Corp. were involved in the Iraq Abu Ghraib prison scandal in 2003, and 2004. The U.S. Army "found that contractors were involved in 36 percent of the [Abu Ghraib] proven incidents and identified 6 employees as individually culpable",[24] although none have faced prosecution unlike US military personnel.[24]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_military_company

Oky doky, I didn't remember the minor, but horrible, detail correctly...

That's okay. I didn't realize how deep the mercs were in the Abu Ghraib scandal until I listened to Randi Rhodes explain it the other day. Apparently according to her, the mercs came into the prison claiming they were actual CIA officers. That's how they got so deep into the interrogation program.

That's okay. I didn't realize how deep the mercs were in the Abu Ghraib scandal until I listened to Randi Rhodes explain it the other day. Apparently according to her, the mercs came into the prison claiming they were actual CIA officers. That's how they got so deep into the interrogation program.

Well, it's good that the guards at the prison were so efficient and on top of things. Lucky for them, no Al Qaeda guys showed up claiming they were there to transport the prisoners to another super secret jail.

Phoenix 2.0 – CIA’s Vietnam Terror Unleashed Upon Afghanistan

Hey, we are now only 2 months away from being 3 years into the US’s non-combat role in Afghanistan…

Wow, the neocons went further back into failed methods and dug up some nasty shit from what we didn’t learn in Vietnam. Good thing El Cheato isn’t going to be just another neocon pawn perpetuating the US failed policy of war. Of course since the CIA doesn't really have that many officers in their Special Activities Division, they will need private contractors. What could possibly go wrong with secretive private mercs unleashed upon Afghanistan?

https://www.globalresearch.ca/phoenix-2-0-cias-vietnam-terror-unleashed-upon-afghanistan/5614942
Last week the new head of the CIA Mike Pompeo publicly threatened to make the CIA a “much more vicious agency”. His first step towards that is to
unleash CIA sponsored killer gangs onto the people of Afghanistan:

The C.I.A. is expanding its covert operations in Afghanistan, sending small teams of highly experienced officers and contractors alongside Afghan forces to hunt and kill Taliban militants across the country …

The C.I.A.’s expanded role will augment missions carried out by military units, meaning more of the United States’ combat role in Afghanistan will be hidden from public view.

This is not going to be a counter-insurgency campaign, even when some will assert that. A counter-insurgency campaign requires political, security, economic, and informational components. It can only be successful in support of a legitimate authority.

The current Afghan government has little legitimacy. It was bribed together by the U.S. embassy after wide and open election fraud threatened to devolve into total chaos. In August CIA director Pompeo met the Afghan president Ashraf Ghani and likely discussed the new plan. But the now announced campaign has neither a political nor an economic component. A campaign solely centered on “security” will end up as a random torture and killing expedition without the necessary context and with no positive results.

article said:
The C.I.A. is expanding its covert operations in Afghanistan, sending small teams of highly experienced officers and contractors alongside Afghan forces to hunt and kill Taliban militants across the country, according to two senior American officials, the latest sign of the agency’s increasingly integral role in President Trump’s counterterrorism strategy.
Jebus, not this shit again. Look, we have lost Afghanistan in general, that was seemingly put in stone by the W Admin when they abandoned Afghanistan. The only viable goal should be to hold the cities and provide services to help people further away to have sustainable employment options that doesn't lead them to aligning with the Taliban out of desperation (we just need to worry about aligning our of fear of reprisal). We are not going to root out the Taliban with a bunch of poorly paid special op / overpaid contractors.

Back
Top Bottom