• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Afghan "train, advise and assist" 1984 style

Don't you wish you had not and they did?

The problems in Afghanistan do not stem from our intervention. When your system fell apart and you pulled out the insurgents we were backing became the government of Afghanistan and for a little while things were improving. However, there were some Islamist types who didn't approve of the moderateness of the government that arose and took up arms against it with the backing of the Pakistani ISI. Those are the ones that we went in to administer an ass-whooping to in response to 9/11.

The side we backed earlier had been reduced to what was known as the Northern Alliance by the time we went in--and they were our allies in the war.
None of that would have happened if you had not decided to meddle in Afghanistan.

The problems in Afghanistan do not stem from our intervention. When your system fell apart and you pulled out the insurgents we were backing became the government of Afghanistan and for a little while things were improving. However, there were some Islamist types who didn't approve of the moderateness of the government that arose and took up arms against it with the backing of the Pakistani ISI. Those are the ones that we went in to administer an ass-whooping to in response to 9/11.

The side we backed earlier had been reduced to what was known as the Northern Alliance by the time we went in--and they were our allies in the war.
None of that would have happened if you had not decided to meddle in Afghanistan.

As the 2nd US soldier (yes ignoring the thousands of Afghans dead for every foreign one) has died this year, in our "concluded combat operations", I thought an update would be useful with generals seeing nails needing hammering. The FY17 cost is coming in at $55 billion. And the generals think they need a few thousand more pieces of fodder to toy with. And El Cheato has pretty much ignored our longest war/occupation to date…so after asking what the new president might do back in early December 2016, we still have no clue as to the new Administration’s direction here.

But the Generals know what they want. WTF, do they teach insanity at West Point? Afghanistan slips further into the abyss with the government retaining ever less control of the districts. The General have no end game, just more of the same...
https://theintercept.com/2017/03/15...-war-a-mess-his-generals-want-to-escalate-it/
Gen. John Nicholson, the top U.S. commander in Afghanistan, appeared before the Senate Armed Services Committee to ask for a “few thousand” more U.S. troops. Last week, his boss, Gen. Joseph Votel, head of U.S. Central Command, echoed Nicholson’s request, telling senators that a new “strategy” for Afghanistan had to “involve additional forces.” And this week, Republican Sens. Lindsey Graham and John McCain, who never met a Muslim-majority nation they did not want to bomb, invade, or occupy, used a Washington Post op-ed to call for — surprise, surprise — “additional U.S. and coalition forces” in Afghanistan, including “special operations forces and close air support.”

“It is imperative that we see our mission through to success,” they declaimed.

What was that definition of insanity again?
<snip>
During his Senate testimony, Nicholson was asked by McCain whether the U.S. was winning or losing in Afghanistan. “I believe we are in a stalemate,” replied the general.
<snip>
Defeating the Taliban? The insurgents have been on the offensive over the past year or so and now hold more Afghan territory than in any year since 2001. As Politico reported, “The Afghan government controlled 57 percent of the country’s districts in November, … which is a 6 percent loss since August and a 15 percent drop compared with November 2015.”

Does any of that sound like a draw to you? Nicholson and Votel might be of the view that neither side has the upper hand (hence “stalemate”) yet as Henry Kissinger once remarked, “The conventional army loses if it does not win. The guerrilla wins if he does not lose.” (Yes, I hate agreeing with Kissinger, too.)

So more than a year later, and roughly doubling the solder count, and roughly a tripling of air strikes, the ground game is roughly unchanged.
https://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/interactive/2016/08/afghanistan-controls-160823083528213.html
According to a recent report by the Special Inspector General for Afghanistan Reconstruction (SIGAR), as of January 31, 2018, 229 districts were under Afghan government control which is about 56.3 percent of total Afghan districts.

There were 59 districts, approximately 14.5 percent under rebel control.

The remaining 119 districts about 29.2 percent are contested - controlled by neither the Afghan government nor the rebellion.

At least the US body count is remaining in the single digits. But the Afghan body count is way up due to high levels of areal bombing. The cost has climbed again of course with most recent numbers coming in at $58 billion, but it wouldn't surprise me if it is actually higher as they are trying to hide more and more about this never ending war.

Ref for price tag: https://www.thebalance.com/cost-of-afghanistan-war-timeline-economic-impact-4122493

You meddled there first with clear intention to draw soviets in.

You meddled there first with clear intention to draw soviets in.
I think I'll just quote myself from when you two started throwing poop last time...

Meanwhile, getting back to the 21st century....<HINT: the - your dick has more STD sores than mine does, is getting old; Besides there is a General World History section...>

So, now we are at the 4th anniversary of Pres. Obama's “train, advise and assist” mission.

How is the Lite Surge Part II doing after more than a year of fun? Pretty much the same, though the slow bleed of territorial control being lost of the Afghan puppets has been paused for now by those extra 10 (a year) or so billion added to the massive pile of burned expenditures.

https://warontherocks.com/2018/12/f...ar-in-afghanistan-for-congress-how-did-we-do/
One illustration of this is the trend in Afghan government control of its territory, which has declined from 66 percent in May 2016 to 56 percent in July of this year. As the figure below shows, the Taliban now control rural areas across all regions of the country and are using those to increasingly contest areas closer to major population centers.

I think there are now 18 dead US soldiers and probably over a hundred wounded. The Afghan death count makes this sound like nothing.
https://www.upi.com/US-airstrike-ki...istan-upping-2018-total-to-649/8311543582670/
UNAMA said in its report 55 percent of the civilian casualties this week were children. It also said there were nearly 650 civilian casualties between January and November -- the highest yearly airstrike toll to date since the United Nations started keeping records in 2009.

You realize they went in before we intervened?
No, I don't realize that because it is simply not true.

We didn't like the invasion and helped the rebels kick them out.
Nope again, you liked it very much.

Repeating Kremlin propaganda doesn't make it so.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet–Afghan_War

Note that this is Wikipedia, strongly biased to the left. What that page doesn't say is that the Afghan communist party was actually a Soviet puppet. That was the de-facto seizure of Afghanistan by Russia to which we responded by aiding those who were trying to kick them back out.

Note that this is Wikipedia, strongly biased to the left. What that page doesn't say is that the Afghan communist party was actually a Soviet puppet. That was the de-facto seizure of Afghanistan by Russia to which we responded by aiding those who were trying to kick them back out.
Children....

I think I'll just quote myself from when you two started throwing poop last time...

Meanwhile, getting back to the 21st century....<HINT: the - your dick has more STD sores than mine does, is getting old; Besides there is a General World History section...>

I am repeating Zbigniew Brzezinski, so fuck you. And I am telling you "fuck you" because it's not a first time you pretend not knowing it. So fuck you again.

Children....
I think it's worthwhile to stand up to lies perpetrated by neocon trolls.

Congrats on winning the Most Unintentionally Ironic Post of the Week award.

Congrats on winning the Most Retarded Post of the Week award.
Fact is, the current shit in Afghanistan is a result of US actions. Had they decided not to provoke soviets Afghanistan today would have been completely different place. But neocons wanted proxy war with USSR and they got one for 10 years. Now US has 17 years war of their own.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom