• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

After-Birth Abortion: Is Infanticide Wrong?

I have started a thread in Moral Principles if anybody would like to discuss the philosophical aspects of this question apart from the political aspects.

Maybe it is because I am a lawyer or maybe it is because I am not American (where things are uber partisan), but I don't see a need for the distinction. If you find something like infanticide to be morally wrong, why would you be politically for it? Is this a party partisanship thing? I'm not opposed to a mod moving this thread to that section, but having two threads seems rather pointless to me.

I have started a thread in Moral Principles if anybody would like to discuss the philosophical aspects of this question apart from the political aspects.

Maybe it is because I am a lawyer or maybe it is because I am not American (where things are uber partisan), but I don't see a need for the distinction. If you find something like infanticide to be morally wrong, why would you be politically for it? Is this a party partisanship thing? I'm not opposed to a mod moving this thread to that section, but having two threads seems rather pointless to me.

Often, the consequences of banning something are worse than the consequences of what you're trying to ban. Many pro-choice people feel this way. They personally don't like abortion and want to minimize it, but know that making it illegal will just make it more dangerous, and with something as universal as getting pregnant accidentally, deterrence isn't really part of the equation anymore. Joe Biden is a good example of someone who holds this view. Also, it could be that some moral views are held by such a small minority of the population and run counter to so many deeply held intuitions that, even if they would have beneficial effects were they implemented on a large scale, they will never get to that point because the majority will not accept them. Thus, it's better to keep them out of the legal sphere until society catches up. There were certainly people in the 1600's who knew that women weren't just waif-like servants for men to keep around for pleasure and housework. There were atheists in ancient Egypt when pharaohs claimed to be actual gods. They just didn't see much reason to take their beliefs to a wider society that would just immediately reject them.

But that's a lot of hand-waving to paper over the fact that politics just tires me out sometimes. I like having ideas that are solid and decently justified as an end in itself, even if I don't get to tell other people what to do.

Once you establish that newborns are not conscious or self aware (assuming that is true) it becomes difficult for many people to justify and explain to themselves why they care so much to protect the newborn from harm, and why they insist that killing the newborn is murder and that we should jail (or execute) such killers, taking away their freedom (or lives).

Most people want to protect a newborn from harm for selfish reasons. For value that they assign to it, not for any inherent value the thing itself has. And murder is a crime against society. You can't just run around murdering things without disrupting society.

This is especially uncomfortable for pro-choicers, as it forces them to see in themselves the same thing that maybe just maybe drives pro-lifers to seek to protect the unborn from abortion. It challenges the narrative of pro-lifers as misogynists who only want to control women's bodies. So it was actually perfectly on topic in the abortion thread and very much appropriate to a political forum.

Suddenly we see the same arguments here from pro-choicers that we normally see from pro-lifers: arguments about it being human life, arguments about destiny and the life the being could potentially have and the good it could potentially do, and the empathic and emotional damage it does us to see or think of a defenceless human being killed.

Yes, but those are decently correct arguments made from a perspective of morality. It doesn't eliminate any competing arguments from personal hardship or freedom of choice. I think most people assume that a baby that made it's way out of the birth canal was wanted. The difficult decisions were weighed and the conclusion was to keep the baby. I think that's where the empathy arguments start.

In starting this thread I was hoping we would get a little more insight than that though. I was hoping to maybe discover some good reasons why we do care and should care (maybe about both). Or to reveal a human failing if that is what this is, so strong that it leads some to want to control women's bodies or take away people's freedom or lives. Defend that baby! Why? Most of us even instinctively feel a need to protect a baby even stronger than we feel a need to defend a grown man.

But it isn't exactly binary is it? It is perfectly acceptable to be dissatisfied with any outcome when the choices are abort a fetus or ruin a person's life.
Perhaps we should also consider the killing of people in a vegetative state. Should it be OK to kill people in a deep coma? Should that be considered murder? Does it matter if the person has the potential to come out of the coma and be a conscious self aware and thinking human being again? Again, how is this so different from the newborn or the fetus?
I know it isn't 'your' language, but I doubt you would find it acceptable for pro-lifers to continue to use emotionally charged language incorrectly, so you might also try to refrain from doing so. "Murder" is a crime against society. People are unhooked from life-support all the time and no one is charged with a crime. Just because it isn't illegal doesn't mean the outcome isn't depressing.

aa

Indeed it is, but cruelty is limited to the infliction of undue physical or emotional distress. I don't know if it's illegal to painlessly kill an animal that isn't on the protected species list, but if it is, it's probably to limit the potential risk to humans who lack the proper training to subdue and euthanize an animal. Either way, not really germane to the issue, since nobody is advocating anything that would cause pain to a newborn.

I think by cruelty, it's considering unjustified death as part of that. You can't just decide, I don't want to take care of my pet anymore and hit it on the head with a shovel, instantly killing it. Instead, you bring them to the humane society. They don't instantly kill them there even though they have "the proper training to subdue and euthanize an animal." They wait for plenty of opportunity for other people to get them and when resources dictate they've got to be killed, i.e. they maximize their life span with other considerations such as their pain, finance, and their well-being.

PyramidHead said:
2. infants might not have this abstract concept 100% we call "consciousness," but along the way from third trimester fetus to 5 month old infant they are gaining consciousness, including consciousness of pain (3rd trimester), conscious of poop in their diapers, conscious of being hungry, as well as conscious of mom and her voice in the 3rd trimester, and possible of mimicry when newly born.
These are all indicative of a healthy, functional mammalian nervous system. The question posed by the OP is whether having a working mammalian nervous system is enough to be granted full personhood, which in practice is obviously not the case since the vast majority of mammals are not afforded the same protection as humans. This can be for good reasons that relate to what is known about the preferences and proclivities of the mammals in question, or bad reasons that just draw a box around homo sapiens and declare anything outside it to be fair game unless we're feeling irrationally charitable.

Well, first, consciousness is a phase being developed over decades, starting with being conscious of certain things, later including consciousness of self which isn't a single point in time, continuing on to self-reflection, and operationally being self-reflective, aware, and conscious which never really 100% occurs. Second, not exactly, as you wrote, these are NOT just mammalian nervous system since the recognition of language (even the SPECIFIC language) of the mother in the third trimester is not prevalent among mammals. Likewise, mimicry is not something present in all mammals and some kinds of mimicry indicate a certain kind of sentience.

PyramidHead said:
3. The brain is not fully developed until the human is 25 years old.

Regarding #3, if you ask a teenager why they did something, you'll often get an "I don't know." That's not really self-aware, so it's okay to kill them?
Only if a 'fully developed' brain is a necessary condition for being considered a person it is wrong to kill. Nobody is suggesting this as far as I know.

People aren't operationally fully conscious even theoretically until full brain development, and even then it's not 100% of the time. So in a sense, you are arguing for potentiality of 100% consciousness and self-awareness. Additionally, during early adolescence, it is well-known that emotions and instincts take over reason. There is not an operational self-awareness of "why" in early adolescence. My counter-argument to your (and others) claims of arbitrariness of the cutoff of birth, is that you're also being arbitrary here since the self-awareness is still not fully there in younger humans.

In sum, it's all degrees, all the way, and the cutoff being discussed is not merely a mammalian cutoff.

All very true, but remember that we only need concern ourselves with the types of self-awareness that make someone vulnerable to the suffering and deprivation of death that makes it wrong to inflict. You don't need much beyond a concept of time and an idea about what you might want to do tomorrow to get there. Absent that, I don't see how causing death is depriving someone of anything they care about.

Jolly Penguin said:
And of those who did state their wishes prior to entering the vegetative state, if they are not going to come out of it, should we do what is written for them? Do they as people still exist? We once had a lively (pardon the pun) debate on this in law school: why should we follow the instructions of a will; the instructions of a non-person who doesn't exist to now intend what the living person then intended?The only reason we could come up with was spiritual/religious; that the person somehow still exists to have rights and intentions. So as a materialist atheist, I don't see why a will should be honoured, and I am unsure about a living will.

I'm sorry, I simply can't see that this discussion is complete without questioning your motives. What gives you the right to take what is not yours? You wish to take the power from these people and those that they chose for the purposes of making their decisions and claim it for yourself. This colossal arrogance is so egregious that you would imply that you can make moral decisions better than a doctor who is familiar with the case. I absolutely question your motives, as well as your moral fitness to make any such decisions. My mother chose me to make these decisions for her precisely because she trusted my rationality over that of the other candidates. I would never hand over this trust that has been placed in me, unless I had reason to question my own fitness to make rational decisions. I never would hand over this trust to the likes of you. You ask why should the wishes of the dead be respected? I answer, I trust the dead to dispose of what was theirs more than I trust the living who wish to usurp the dead's property and legal power for their own purposes.

As for people who haven't made the necessary arrangements, so what? Once again, you are taking outlying cases and using them to cast doubt on the majority of cases where the status quo works perfectly well. There will be outlying cases in any circumstance. It is unsound to use them as a wedge to destroy the majority. This is a hallmark of extreme agitation, and you have been using it constantly. You pretend this fringe pro-infanticide group represents pro-choicers. You pretend that there are lots of late, elective abortions when there are not. You pretend there are lots of people who haven't made their end of life wishes known. And on, and on. All to paint a picture of a broken, chaotic system that needs a strong, authoritarian hand to bring it back to order and morality.

I would absolutely allow abortion/infanticide of infants up to 2 years old. An arbitrary boundary for sure, but so what, human life is not that valuable all by itself. But if such a thing was allowed, it would have to be rigorously regulated, and only allowed by certified doctors to ensure painless and quick death, under supervision, and after legal verification that this is indeed what the parents want and that there is a proven medical reason. If all of these qualifications are not met, then it would be regular manslaughter or murder.

I would absolutely allow abortion/infanticide of infants up to 2 years old. An arbitrary boundary for sure, but so what, human life is not that valuable all by itself. But if such a thing was allowed, it would have to be rigorously regulated, and only allowed by certified doctors to ensure painless and quick death, under supervision, and after legal verification that this is indeed what the parents want and that there is a proven medical reason. If all of these qualifications are not met, then it would be regular manslaughter or murder.

I say raise the limit to 6-7 years old. The threat of death, if properly wielded, could keep some of those kids from becoming jailbait later in life!

Yes, but those are decently correct arguments made from a perspective of morality. It doesn't eliminate any competing arguments from personal hardship or freedom of choice.

I agree. It should be weighed against that, and different people have different thoughts on how that weighing should go. What shouldn't happen is the complete disregard for the empathy for the unborn if we would have that same empathy for the newborn, or the drumbeat that such concern can't exist (as we saw in the other thread).

I think most people assume that a baby that made it's way out of the birth canal was wanted. The difficult decisions were weighed and the conclusion was to keep the baby. I think that's where the empathy arguments start.

I don't see why that should matter. Somebody who is wanted is more important and more deserving of protection than somebody who is not wanted? If the parents die, does the newborn lose this wanted status and become expendable again?

But it isn't exactly binary is it? It is perfectly acceptable to be dissatisfied with any outcome when the choices are abort a fetus or ruin a person's life.

Indeed.

I know it isn't 'your' language, but I doubt you would find it acceptable for pro-lifers to continue to use emotionally charged language incorrectly, so you might also try to refrain from doing so. "Murder" is a crime against society.

Murder is culpable homicide, meaning killing that we consider wrong enough to punish. There is nothing wrong with asking if we consider something to be murder. If we don't, then we shouldn't punish people for the homicide.

People are unhooked from life-support all the time and no one is charged with a crime. Just because it isn't illegal doesn't mean the outcome isn't depressing.

Agreed.

I'm sorry, I simply can't see that this discussion is complete without questioning your motives.

I can't change the fact that you insist on your adhom. It doesn't make anything I have said any less valid or intersting.

What gives you the right to take what is not yours? You wish to take the power from these people and those that they chose for the purposes of making their decisions and claim it for yourself.

Do you mean the person in the come that will never come out? The dead person who wrote a will? The question there is whether or not they are still to be considered a person. If so, on what basis? If not, how can they be said to have any intent or wish or power?

This colossal arrogance is so egregious that you would imply that you can make moral decisions better than a doctor who is familiar with the case.

The doctor has the expertise to tell us the medical situation. That is her expertise. She has no special expertise in moral judgment and there is no reason to think that her moral reasoning is any better than yours or mine once we understand the facts.

I absolutely question your motives, as well as your moral fitness to make any such decisions.

Oh I see that. I don't particularly care what you think of me or my motives nor can I change your need to judge me. It doesn't have any bearing on what I say though. All I can do is go on with thinking about these things and sharing ideas, asking questions and listening to the thoughts of others here, while trying to ignore your constant attempts to insult me.

I trust the dead to dispose of what was theirs more than I trust the living who wish to usurp the dead's property and legal power for their own purposes.

You speak of the dead as if they are people with thoughts and intentions interests and purposes. Are you making a faith based religious argument here?

As for people who haven't made the necessary arrangements, so what? Once again, you are taking outlying cases and using them to cast doubt on the majority of cases where the status quo works perfectly well.

No, I'm really not. People without powers of attorney for personal care are not at all rare. They are quite common. Nor am I casting doubt on anything. I am asking questions so we can get to the roots of our moral decision making.

There will be outlying cases in any circumstance. It is unsound to use them as a wedge to destroy the majority. This is a hallmark of extreme agitation, and you have been using it constantly.

I really haven't. You are demanding I hold a position and have a motive I don't. Maybe go back and read what I have actually written above without projecting these imagined motives onto me. The constant adhom you present is only serving as a distraction from what could be an interesting conversation between us.

Even so, I find it funny that I used the same reasoning in the other thread to defend aborting a fetus--lack of preferences, lack of a sense of self, lack of a concept of time, equivalence to adult mammals from other species--and received several reputation points for it. But when the baby is outside of the womb, none of those arguments seem to hold water anymore, and the pro-choicers join the pro-lifers in making comparisons to Nazi Germany. It's easy to see what change has taken place, but it hasn't taken place in the baby: it's because everybody just went from thinking of a swollen belly with a slimy fetus in it to something with a face and blinking eyes, and the amygdala took over the steering wheel from the frontal lobe.

Most pro-choicers are also against abortion after so many months in the womb, such as 6, 7, 8 and 9 months. Most pro-choicers also discuss women's rights to their bodies and privacy of such mothers who need not be the caretakers of the infants or house them once they're born. Many (I don't know if it's most) also talk about how abortions ought not be a frequent thing (the "legal, safe, and rare" argument). I will add that the first two points I have outlined were significant factors in Roe v Wade: the potentiality of independence of the fetus vs a woman's right to privacy. So, I don't think one can claim that pro-choicers have such limited considerations as you've outlined.

Jimmy Higgins just said "Comparing a fetus to born child is just ridiculous". Note the absence of any qualifications about stage of development. This was the extent of his "argument" attacking the OP for even raising the idea.

So, clearly some pro-choicers do have extremely simplistic dichotomous notions of "newborns" versus "fetuses" and their relative moral standing. In fact, the majority of negative reactions to the OP have been the kind of mindless, emotionally reflexive responses devoid of argument that stem from such simplistic and unexamined ethical presumptions.

Don2 said:
In addition to my previous post, some other facts:
1. It is illegal in the US to be cruel to animals, even if not human;

And yet is not illegal in the US, nor considered cruel or immoral by most people to kill animals for countless reasons, virtually none of which are neccessary for human survival. Plus, their are countless acts that are legal despite being objectively identical to what is illegal"cruelty". The difference all comes down to arbitrary application of the egoism and self-interests of the populace, without any regard for any ethical principles. If enough people feel a bit too squeamish about something and don't see sufficient benefits of the act to themselves, they vote to declare it "cruel" and thus illegal (a tautology).

2. infants might not have this abstract concept 100% we call "consciousness," but along the way from third trimester fetus to 5 month old infant they are gaining consciousness, including consciousness of pain (3rd trimester), conscious of poop in their diapers, conscious of being hungry, as well as conscious of mom and her voice in the 3rd trimester, and possible of mimicry when newly born.

If you limit "consciousness" to the same type of thing that most organisms in the animal kingdom have, then sure. And fetuses much earlier than 28 weeks may also experience pain. The inference that earlier fetuses don't feel pain is not sound science. It is based upon the faulty assumption that the fetus can only feel pain via the identical circuitry that infants do. Since their circuitry is constantly re configuring and plenty of animals with non-human circuitry also experience pain, this is an unsound assumption. IOW, the fetus could experience pain in another way and while it may be subjectively different from what a 30 week fetus experiences, so is the pain of other animals that as you pointed out, we sometimes consider it unethical to cause.

This should be all moot, because neither the ethical or legality of killing should rest on pain experience. Pain free methods of killing do vritually nothing to impact the ethics or legality killing a human in any other context and shouldn't matter here. The fact that the human will not exist and live (something that nearly all fetuses will develop an innate desire to do at point after birth) is infinitely more meaningful than what breif pain the fetus might experience during the procedure. Besides, they experience pain during the pregnancy, during birth, and after birth. So why isn't that a justification to end their pain with an abortion. Sadly, some pro-choicers have bought into the idea that pain is relevant, but only because they wrongly think the science happens to say that pain doesn't exist till the third trimester. So, if they make pain experience a big determinants of the ethics, they can pretend their is 28 weeks where abortions are a completely ethics free decision.

Also, the neural circuitry that is neccessary for consciousness is not sufficient, and before that circuitry is in place, the 2nd trimester fetus has the neccessary biology for developing that circuitry and will do so if not killed in the process. So it is all a continuum going back to conception, with the ethical implications ever increasing. If the 25th week is ethically wrong, then the 20th week is only less wrong, but not amoral. Also, it isn't the weeks that matter but the actual development of that exact fetus, and weeks are only an estimate of what is true on average, plus the number of weeks since conception is also an estimate than can be off by 2-3 weeks even with modern tech.
Again, for pragmatic reasons, we may want to set the threshold of what is legal at a number of weeks, ignoring the variation around those generalizations. But ethically that variation is critical and aborting a late 2nd trimester fetus can be less unethical than aborting a 3rd trimester fetus, in terms of the consciousness considerations you are referring to.

The point is that from an ethical standpoint, and principled criteria of moral evaluation makes it is a messy uncertain continuum with no magical cutoff that demarcates a categorically ethical act from a categorically unethcial one, and that continuum extends beyond the womb to newborns.

3. The brain is not fully developed until the human is 25 years old.

Regarding #3, if you ask a teenager why they did something, you'll often get an "I don't know." That's not really self-aware, so it's okay to kill them?

You're the one using already developed consciousness as the determining ethical factor, and arguing for magical cutoffs that make something that is "okay" suddenly "not okay" seconds later. Most of the arguments defending the OP as having a valid point are merely saying that "okay" and "not okay" is a false dichotomy. Because the factors going into any principled moral evaluation are on a fuzzy, variable and context-dependent continuum, so is the variable degree of "okayness", and simple "estimated weeks since conception" and whether it is in or outside the mother's womb are important factors that maybe all the law should consider, but they are insufficient for determining the ethics of any specific act of killing a developing human organism.

It isn't okay to kill a teenager, but it also isn't completely okay (just more okay) to kill a 24 week fetus, which is only slight more okay than killing a 35 week old fetus, which is only a bit more okay than killing a newborn. And how okay any of these are is context dependent and only imperfectly tied to age, and dependent of whether one is actively killing the organism versus merely not acting to prevent it from dying because it cannot sustain its own life. Note that sometimes teenagers cannot sustain their own life functions, and that should impact the moral evaluation of the situation. Also, our ethical evaluations need to accommodate the atypical situations, such as what is it ethical to do when a newborn is less like a human cognitively or even physically than a pigeon crossed with an eggplant. Simplistic notions that depend entirely on "weeks" or pre-post birth allow us to deal with those situations and not absurdly and destructively treat the ethical requirement to sustain such life as the same as for a typical newborn.

I think by cruelty, it's considering unjustified death as part of that. You can't just decide, I don't want to take care of my pet anymore and hit it on the head with a shovel, instantly killing it. Instead, you bring them to the humane society. They don't instantly kill them there even though they have "the proper training to subdue and euthanize an animal." They wait for plenty of opportunity for other people to get them and when resources dictate they've got to be killed, i.e. they maximize their life span with other considerations such as their pain, finance, and their well-being.

But that has anything to do with a principle of whether the killing was "unjustified". It is legislation based upon haphazard egoistic emotionalism. You can just instantly kill many kinds of animals. The fact that a permit is required is not about cruelty to to animals killed but about human-centric population management. And 99% of the animals we kill are for needless products whose only "justification" is we enjoy the unnecessary benefits of using those products more than we care about those animals being killed.

You can also kill all kinds of pets, so long as they are not the cute fuzzy kind that enough people decide can't be killed. "Oh, but we can eat pigs, so that why its okay." No, that is a tautology of emotionalism. We don't need to eat pigs, and the only reason we are allowed to eat them and not cats is pure emotionalism (though some states allow it, their is a brainless effort to criminalize it). The greater taboos on which animals we can kill are not based on being "justified" because we eat them, but rather both killing and eating taboos are based on pure emotional sentiment having nothing to do with the objective properties of the animals like consciousness or intelligence, etc.. The eating of cats in Italy is perfectly sensible and no more immoral than eating chicken. BTW, I love cats and have 2 whose lives I value more than 99% of the human population and would defend by any means neccessary.

People should be able to and in most places can put down their cats and dogs, so long as they either eat them or to end a terminal illness.

Bottom line is that the notion that killing animals is cruelty unless it is "justified" is an empty tautology, because the determination of what is "justified" has little more basis than "we have an arbitrary emotional reaction to that killing, so we are calling it "unjustified" so we can make it illegal and call you names for doing it."

In sum, it's all degrees, all the way, and the cutoff being discussed is not merely a mammalian cutoff.

Well then we agree on that. But that means there is nothing all unreasonable or immoral about considering that infanticide is just a bit further down the fuzzy uncertain and not-quite-linear continuum, which is ultimately the main point of the OP.
And the same goes for a 20 week fetus versus a 30 week fetus.

I would point out though that the fact that non-human animals don't develop the capacity to abide by our moral code is a major fact in why we don't and shouldn't apply the same moral code or legal rights to them that we do to humans. There is a qualitative difference in that regard between humans and non-humans that is far greater than any between a human fetus of even one week and a fully mature adult.

In fact, when some humans demonstrate they lack this typical human trait for moral thought and restraining their actions with our moral code, we retract some of their human rights, beyond any punishment for actual actions already performed. This ranges from revoking their rights to parent, own a gun, or hold certain jobs, to even being able to be a part of society generally (such as forced institutionalization either prior to or beyond what committing a particular crime would warrant).

There's a difference between what I am doing and an adhom. An adhom would be to dismiss your arguments because you are a jerk. In short, dismissing an argument because of a perceived inadequacy of the arguer. I have never dismissed any of your arguments for that reason.

I am saying that your arguments do matter, because they reveal that you are a jerk. You have it backwards.

To elaborate; you are absolutely arguing for an authoritarian system, where a person's legal arrangements are invalidated arbitrarily. In this instance, because they died. Now, you claim that you are just as good as the doctor to make a decision about a comatose person, provided you have all the facts. I'll let that flawed argument pass for now. I submit that the person in question, previously of sound mind, at that time, possessed knowledge, and the right to make these decisions that neither you, nor the doctor has. I don't see how their subsequent comatoseness (catatonia?) somehow invalidates this. Nor do I believe that the arrangements a person made before dying can somehow be invalidated, simply because they died. Their decisions don't become wrong just because they died. It is simply silly of you to pretend that you become smarter and more moral than someone, simply because they died. Let me tell you, Einstein has been in the grave for 61 years, and you still aren't smarter than him, and never will be. You can't take his stuff, it belongs to the people he left it to. This has no dependence on some kind of mystical notion of life after death. I simply think the decisions he made 65 years ago before dying are better than the ones you can make now. Likewise, I feel all people are, in general, more fit to make decisions about their own affairs than other, unacquainted persons. The fact that they died subsequently is irrelevant. Just as E=mc2 is still correct, despite Einstein's dying since then, so too are the decisions of people they make about their own affairs still correct, even though they died. There is no need to think that any supernatural agency is required for this obvious truth.

Your philosophy, as revealed by all your arguments, is relentlessly paternalistic and self serving. You omit obvious conclusions and pretend to be innocent of them. For example, you say wills should not be honored, and then are surprised when I conclude that you mean to seize the property of the deceased. You would take away power from family to make decisions for their loved ones, and pretend that you 'care' more about these people than I do, while I would leave their decisions in the hands of those who ought to care about them most. You speak about the general lack of living wills as somehow justifying a massive intervention (by the state presumably) into the lives of those who are dying and their relatives, when in fact it is legally not problematic that most people don't have such wills, because of the legal concept of 'next of kin' who is always empowered by default. Yes there are those who have no one, and yes there are those who's next of kin are selfish assholes, but I trust that the majority of people will come to the right decision, for the same reason I trust in democracy: its not that people won't make bad decisions, they do often. It just is generally better to have each person make their own decisions, rather than entrust it to some remote person, especially one who shows the willingness to disregard the needs of people different from himself (for example, women with unwanted pregnancies) to suit his own personal ideological goals, such as yourself.

I do not dismiss your arguments because I don't care for you. I take your arguments seriously, and recoil in horror from their logical conclusions.

You can also kill all kinds of pets, so long as they are not the cute fuzzy kind that enough people decide can't be killed. "Oh, but we can eat pigs, so that why its okay." No, that is a tautology of emotionalism. We don't need to eat pigs, and the only reason we are allowed to eat them and not cats is pure emotionalism (though some states allow it, their is a brainless effort to criminalize it). The greater taboos on which animals we can kill are not based on being "justified" because we eat them, but rather both killing and eating taboos are based on pure emotional sentiment having nothing to do with the objective properties of the animals like consciousness or intelligence, etc.. The eating of cats in Italy is perfectly sensible and no more immoral than eating chicken. BTW, I love cats and have 2 whose lives I value more than 99% of the human population and would defend by any means neccessary.

Quite true. It is social programming that makes us ok with killing pigs but upset at killing dogs. In Indonesia killing dogs is no different than killing pigs and you can see dog carcasses hung up in butcher shops.

So perhaps the bigger question isn't so much DO we and why DO we feel this empathy, but should we and why should we? I recently listened to a podcast by Sam Harris where he tries to be scientific about what morality we should have. I found that interesting. He tried to base it on things like "maximizing happiness for all" and avoiding pain etc. Should our moral values be based simply on our social programming and the happenstance of when our empathy neurons happen to fire (firing more for family members than neighbors, more for neighbours than strangers, more for fuzzy cute animals than ugly scaly animals, more for people in front of us than people we can't see, etc) or is there an actual basis we should be striving to build future ethics upon?

Well then we agree on that. But that means there is nothing all unreasonable or immoral about considering that infanticide is just a bit further down the fuzzy uncertain and not-quite-linear continuum, which is ultimately the main point of the OP.
And the same goes for a 20 week fetus versus a 30 week fetus.

Indeed.

I would point out though that the fact that non-human animals don't develop the capacity to abide by our moral code is a major fact in why we don't and shouldn't apply the same moral code or legal rights to them that we do to humans. There is a qualitative difference in that regard between humans and non-humans that is far greater than any between a human fetus of even one week and a fully mature adult.

I'm not so sure about that. Dogs, dolphins, bonobos, many other social animals seem capable of empathy and of a sense of fairness. Is a week old fetus capable of that? If not, I think I may have to side with the non-human.

Sarpedon said:
Now, you claim that you are just as good as the doctor to make a decision about a comatose person, provided you have all the facts. I'll let that flawed argument pass for now.

How is a doctor morally superior to a non-doctor? Given the same facts, and a clear explanation by the doctor of the implications of those facts, why should the doctor's judgment be preferred? You call it a flawed argument but point to no flaw. Should I take up your methods and start making claims about your motives?

I submit that the person in question, previously of sound mind, at that time, possessed knowledge, and the right to make these decisions that neither you, nor the doctor has. I don't see how their subsequent comatoseness (catatonia?) somehow invalidates this. Nor do I believe that the arrangements a person made before dying can somehow be invalidated, simply because they died. Their decisions don't become wrong just because they died.

I submit that it depends on if they are coming back. In that case they have interests to protect. It is much easier with the dead. The dead have no interests. The dead are not people. They are things. Unless you are making a spiritual argument that some part of you survives death, how can you say otherwise?

You can't take his stuff, it belongs to the people he left it to.

Why? If he wanted them to have it, he could have given it to them while he was alive and capable of having such intent. Objects, including corpses, don't intend anything.

I simply think the decisions he made 65 years ago before dying are better than the ones you can make now. Likewise, I feel all people are, in general, more fit to make decisions about their own affairs than other, unacquainted persons. The fact that they died subsequently is irrelevant.

The fact that they are dead doesn't mean that they were not intelligent when they made these decisions. That is true. But usually these decisions rest on their wants and interests, which do not exist after they die.

I defer to something Einstein wrote about relativity while he was alive (or maybe not; we've learned a lot since then so other experts may be preferable now) but I don't see much reason to still care about what he may have wanted based on his own personal preferences.

For example, you say wills should not be honored, and then are surprised when I conclude that you mean to seize the property of the deceased.

Where did you conclude this and where did I act surprised?

If you hadn't played that out exclusively in your head, we could have examined what to do with the property if not give it out according to the written will. One option, but not the only option, yes, is to have the state take the property and distribute it to those in need or pay for needed social services, etc.

And could a case not be made that taking the assets after somebody dies is preferable to taxing them while they are? In the former case nothing that the person earned is being taken from them.

You speak about the general lack of living wills as somehow justifying a massive intervention (by the state presumably) into the lives of those who are dying and their relatives

Not of the dying. Of the dead. And not necessarily the state seizing anything. That is just one idea to consider, that you yourself raised. There are other options we could consider.

Yes, one would be having family members decide what to do with the dead former-person's assets, but we'd have to form a good secular argument for that if you want it to make rational sense. I have heard a few such arguments and maybe you have too, or maybe this a good opportunity for you to think it through. We can start a thread to discuss it if you like.

when in fact it is legally not problematic that most people don't have such wills, because of the legal concept of 'next of kin' who is always empowered by default.

For a will, sort of (you'd get caught up in probate). For a power of attorney for personal care, no actually. The demands of the next of kin don't always carry the day, which is one reason why people are advised to have a power of attorney for personal care (and for property) even if the next of kin is clear and obvious.

Here is where your doctor and your family that you were advocating for above can and do come into conflict. Correct me if I misunderstood, but you seemed to be saying that the doctor has some sort of superior sense of morality better than that of a non-doctor. If so, should the doctor's moral judgment trump the wishes of the next of kin?

It just is generally better to have each person make their own decisions, rather than entrust it to some remote person

A dead person isn't making any decisions. A dead person has no interests. In other cases, if the person is capable and of sound mind, they should make their own decisions, I agree, about what should be entirely in their control. However if interests of other people come into play, those interests may be paramount (ie, your right to swing your fist ends at my face, etc).

I do not dismiss your arguments because I don't care for you. I take your arguments seriously, and recoil in horror from their logical conclusions.

Your emotional reaction is noted. But we need to get beyond that if you want to participate in a rational and productive discussion.

Perhaps this is just too emotional an issue for you, but could you try to explore and discuss the questions I have asked with logic and reason and show how you are reaching conclusions to instead of playing things out in your head, engaging strawmen, adhoms, insults and allegations of personal agendas?

If so, we may be able to have an interesting conversation with you. If not, we'll have to go on without you. I have taken the time to write long, polite and thoughtful responses to you thus far, but if you are just going to react to everything I write by attaching some imaginary personal agenda to me and lashing out, this becomes pointless.

Last edited:
I fail to see why emotional reactions necessarily preclude rational objections. You are disdainful of emotions, yet you expect me to believe that you 'care' about the people you claim to be championing.

My point is a good decision is a good decision, regardless who makes it. You say the dead make no decisions. That is what I call a trivial truth. The fact is that the decisions made by people now dead continue to affect events, and it is utterly foolish to pretend otherwise. Understanding this requires no belief in supernatural agency. It does, however, require one to adopt a wider worldview than allowed by obsessing over whatever your -ism of the week.

You ask why a doctor's moral judgement is better than yours? Simple, a doctor has a professional obligation to act in the best interest of the patient. That is an oath he or she takes. You, random internet commentator, has no professional code of ethics, or obligations. You also have no AMA looking over your shoulder. Literally no one would prefer you to their own doctor. Yet you claim that you are just as good. When people talk to me about health issues, I always ask, 'have you seen a doctor?' I don't imagine that I am better to comment on either medical practice, or medical ethics.

My position is purely pragmatic and eminently rational. I trust people to make their own decisions, and trust families to make decisions regarding their loved ones, and trust professionals more than non-professionals and random internet commentators and ideological crusaders. I have seen too much of the world to trust people who want to radically transform society, upending norms that have been arrived at by consensus for the sake of their utopian ideals. This is the position of democracy. The fact that you focused on nitpicking my general statements on law and so forth, while entirely ignoring my main theme, which is one of freedom and self autonomy. Authoritarian utopias always fail. And every authoritarian utopia begins with people usurping the power and autonomy of others, believing they can do better. Thus you would intrude upon families, women's bodies, the doctor/patient relationship, and so on.

I think the world would be a better place if people were to mind their own business.

I fail to see why emotional reactions necessarily preclude rational objections. You are disdainful of emotions, yet you expect me to believe that you 'care' about the people you claim to be championing.

I am not against emotion. Nor does emotion necessarily preclude rational thought (another fine straw man you build there). I merely have come to suspect that yours is clouding your reasoning. I get that impression due to your frequent personal attacks and accusations that you have engaged in.

My point is a good decision is a good decision, regardless who makes it. You say the dead make no decisions. That is what I call a trivial truth. The fact is that the decisions made by people now dead continue to affect events, and it is utterly foolish to pretend otherwise.

Who is pretending otherwise? You missed the point completely and you painted yet another straw man for yourself. I agreed with you that Einstein's theories and acquired knowledge that now fill books and the meatspace of modern experts far surpass my own expertise on relativity. I also stated that since he's now dead, he now has no interests so I see no reason to follow any wishes he had while alive. Those wishes expired with him.

You ask why a doctor's moral judgement is better than yours? Simple, a doctor has a professional obligation to act in the best interest of the patient. That is an oath he or she takes.

Ok, so a doctor's moral judgment should be trusted more than mine or yours or a random strangers in a given case, but that doesn't make them more apt at moral reasoning. And if we can come up with the best ideas, then we can implement them accordingly, and we can hold ourselves to whatever oaths or standards we decide on as a society. You seem to imagine me sitting there in the doctor's office making decrees on a case by case basis, when actually all I have been doing is asking questions to gather ideas and maybe bring us to better moral understanding and decisions for policy as a society.

I have seen too much of the world to trust people who want to radically transform society, upending norms that have been arrived at by consensus for the sake of their utopian ideals.

Do I have a gun at your head? No. Am I forcing a law on you without your opportunity to vote on it? No. I am directly and explicitly asking your opinion and seeking to engage in exploration and discussion. And you are responding by creating straw men and phantom agendas to attach to me. I am starting to think you may be wearing a tin foil hat at this point.

The fact that you focused on nitpicking my general statements on law and so forth, while entirely ignoring my main theme, which is one of freedom and self autonomy. Authoritarian utopias always fail. And every authoritarian utopia begins with people usurping the power and autonomy of others, believing they can do better. Thus you would intrude upon families, women's bodies, the doctor/patient relationship, and so on.

Yes, I can see that you have a theme, and an that you are coming at this from an ideological point of view, and that you imagine me as the authoritarian enemy. Only I'm not.

Thus you would intrude upon families, women's bodies, the doctor/patient relationship, and so on.

I could just as easily claim that you would intrude on the life of the unborn (by killing him/her/it), and upon all of society by giving what could be fairly distributed to all to one or two rich children. But that would be unfair, in the same way that you have been unfair.

But what you really mean is that I weigh the unborn's life against the woman's desire to choose and don't see the woman's desire to choose as necessarily paramount.

And what you really mean is that I don't presume that a child merely by birth right has any ethical claim to the property of their parents, whereas you apparently do.

And what you really mean is that I support redistribution of the assets of the dead, over taxing the living. Both are impositions against them. Nobody wants to pay taxes.

But you don't speak to any of that because it doesn't fit your narrative. It is you who has ignored points I have made, not the other way around.

I think most people assume that a baby that made it's way out of the birth canal was wanted. The difficult decisions were weighed and the conclusion was to keep the baby. I think that's where the empathy arguments start.

I don't see why that should matter. Somebody who is wanted is more important and more deserving of protection than somebody who is not wanted? If the parents die, does the newborn lose this wanted status and become expendable again?

What I said, precisely, was that is the assumption that people make once they start the argument from empathy. I never said the assumption was necessarily correct, but it does stand to reason since the parents had the opportunity to abort the fetus early on rather than take the pregnancy to term.

If the parents die, or they actually only took the pregnancy to term for the sole purpose of sacrificing the baby to Baal, then my empathy with the parents turns to sympathy for the baby. A subtle difference, but sympathy involves only the perception and understanding of the distress or need of another life form. The feeling is still valid even if the lifeform itself cannot feel the same thing. The distress and need of the baby is also a real thing, even if it cannot 'prefer' to have those things based on it's own level of consciousness.

Murder is culpable homicide, meaning killing that we consider wrong enough to punish. There is nothing wrong with asking if we consider something to be murder. If we don't, then we shouldn't punish people for the homicide.

Yes, but the last part of my quote completes the thought. Unhooking people from life support is not murder. Neither is abortion. In fact it would be easy to outline a specific set of circumstances where infanticide of a newborn wouldn't be murder. On the contrary, everyone is innocent of murder only unless they are tried and convicted of such beyond all reasonable doubt. To wit, that is the only standard required to consider something murder.

Maybe using less charged language, one might ask how objectionable it is (ought to be) to kill a newborn with no known family and no one willing to care for it? This happened for 2000 years in China, btw.

aa

But what you really mean is that I weigh the unborn's life against the woman's desire to choose and don't see the woman's desire to choose as necessarily paramount.

And what you really mean is that I don't presume that a child merely by birth right has any ethical claim to the property of their parents, whereas you apparently do.

You appear to be contending that a fetus has a moral claim over their mother's body and biological processes, the most fundamental thing that the mother owns, whilst saying that whatever child/person that fetus may grow up to be lacks such a moral claim to their parents' property and that neither should be contingent upon the known wishes of the parents in question (i.e. The fetus has a moral claim whether the mother likes it or not and the child lacks a moral claim whether the parents like it or not).

Am I correct in understanding this?

Back
Top Bottom