• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Alzheimer's breakthrough

I sent this to my wife to give to one of her friends. Her friend has already lost one brother to AD and another is well into it. Everytime my wife's friend forgets something it makes her think "Is it now starting with me?" and it scares her to death.
Tell her to keep her mouth clean and keep her face well cleaned and free of acne sores, and avoid nose picking. Possibly advise against makeup? Chemical stress on the brain apparently makes it more likely to set in, and there is a lot of chemical proximity between the mouth, nose, face (especially near the eyes), and the brain.

This would explain AD links to behavioral elements like nosepicking and tooth brushing.

If she is particularly fearful of onset, she needs to regularly start thinking about things she does not want to lose, and start doing it immediately. Anything she wants to keep needs to be exercised. That's well known to put it off in some respects.

My wild guess expectation is that repair proteins somehow "prefer" to interact with more heavily used cells in a statistical sense, by some mechanism of cells surface expression of commonly used neurons, or some sort of binding affinity.

There is an evolutionary pressure to not repair what is not used.

I sent this to my wife to give to one of her friends. Her friend has already lost one brother to AD and another is well into it. Everytime my wife's friend forgets something it makes her think "Is it now starting with me?" and it scares her to death.
Tell her to keep her mouth clean and keep her face well cleaned and free of acne sores, and avoid nose picking. Possibly advise against makeup? Chemical stress on the brain apparently makes it more likely to set in, and there is a lot of chemical proximity between the mouth, nose, face (especially near the eyes), and the brain.

This would explain AD links to behavioral elements like nosepicking and tooth brushing.

If she is particularly fearful of onset, she needs to regularly start thinking about things she does not want to lose, and start doing it immediately. Anything she wants to keep needs to be exercised. That's well known to put it off in some respects.

My wild guess expectation is that repair proteins somehow "prefer" to interact with more heavily used cells in a statistical sense, by some mechanism of cells surface expression of commonly used neurons, or some sort of binding affinity.

There is an evolutionary pressure to not repair what is not used.
There exists a very significant blood- brain barrier against most infections.

Flavonols, a large class of compounds found in most fruits and vegetables, may be associated with a reduced risk for Alzheimer's disease. Flavonols are known to have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects, and animal studies have suggested they may improve memory and learning.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flavonols

Back in the90s mansteam medicn was saying th best way to keep brain helthy is doet and exercise.

A new study looking at supplments is making the news. Not that it is news to many, aal the cams of imprved brain unction and cgnition are essentailly bogus.

There is a steady strem of 'reports' in the news on this or that you should eat for one thing or another. My doctios say eating a balanced diet is all you need.

Back in the 90s neural plasticity. No matter how old you are the brain is not static. It needs exercise just like muscles. Learning soething new or a new task can stimulate brain growth.

Crossword puzzles, card games, learning a language.

"Neural plasticity" redirects here. For journal, see Neural Plasticity (journal). For the 2014 Cold Specks album, see Neuroplasticity (album).

Neuroplasticity, also known as neural plasticity, or brain plasticity, is the ability of neural networks in the brain to change through growth and reorganization. It is when the brain is rewired to function in some way that differs from how it previously functioned.[1] These changes range from individual neuron pathways making new connections, to systematic adjustments like cortical remapping. Examples of neuroplasticity include circuit and network changes that result from learning a new ability, environmental influences, practice, and psychological stress.[2][3][4][5][6][7]

Neuroplasticity was once thought by neuroscientists to manifest only during childhood,[8][9] but research in the latter half of the 20th century showed that many aspects of the brain can be altered (or are "plastic") even through adulthood.[10][11] However, the developing brain exhibits a higher degree of plasticity than the adult brain.[12] Activity-dependent plasticity can have significant implications for healthy development, learning, memory, and recovery from brain damage.[13][14][15]

Until recently, had never had close encounters with people dementia. Did not know they lose short term memory. It's like he was sleeping/dreaming, not able to remember what was just said. Trying to reason and explain anything was utterly pointless. Weird.

Back
Top Bottom