• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Am I the only one who finds the term "my daily driver" annoying?

Underseer

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheism, resistentialism
It's like some form of techno-elitism. "Hey, I have more than one smartphone/laptop, so I need a special word to describe the one I use for regular tasks on a regular basis."

I was just watching a YouTube video in which someone applied the term to a gaming laptop.

It's like some form of techno-elitism. "Hey, I have more than one smartphone/laptop, so I need a special word to describe the one I use for regular tasks on a regular basis."

I was just watching a YouTube video in which someone applied the term to a gaming laptop.

No. Of course what some people like will differ. Some people have to use Windows 10 at work, but are not fond of it. Some people will use a favorite Linux distro on a good machine. One finds what works well for them, and that is what they use and prefer. Daily driver is descriptive. It means what one uses even if it may not be the latest and greatest. What one finds does the job you want to do, and gets used. Of course it is often a matter of choice and taste. I don't let it bother me.

I'm used to hearing it as a term for use as to which ROM one could be running on their phone. For people that are enthusiasts of such things, it kind of makes sense. Your daily driver ROM would usually be the most reliable, error-free one you run most of the time. I think in that usage it makes more sense.

What I am wondering is how on Earth you manage to get through a day, surrounded by these heartbreaking demoralizing tragedies.

It's worse than that - it's a rather pathetic attempt to co-opt the elitism of people who are wealthy enough to have a large number of cars, by people who only have the resources to have large numbers of computing devices.

When you consider that many people with large numbers of computing devices have so many because they are expected by their employer to carry work-specific machines, it's even more pathetic - they are trying to claim that their being beholden to the boss 24x7 is somehow an enviable state of affairs, analogous to that of a hyper-wealthy person who owns a bunch of expensive automobiles.

Sad, sad, sad.

Something similar happens with people who travel a lot for work - they like to imply that jetting around the world is somehow a superior lifestyle, but the reality is that that is only true if you are going for a vacation. Traveling for work is just like ordinary work, but with a longer and more arduous commute. If you take your family and laze around the pool, visit exciting attractions, drink beer and have fun, then travel is great. If you go alone, sit in boring meeting rooms with strangers, and are required to log all your receipts, it's sucky. I don't envy the latter travel opportunities one bit.

What I am wondering is how on Earth you manage to get through a day, surrounded by these heartbreaking demoralizing tragedies.

I don't follow. What are you trying to say?

I don't follow. What are you trying to say?

The short answer is yes, you are the only one with a problem,.

Intersting, I have never heard that applied to tech. I hear it all the time in my auto-enthusiast world, though, so it wouldn’t phase any of us.

To be true, not all people who own a large number of cars are extraordinarily wealthy. My husband and I own 6 cars and two motorcycles (and a tractor) and while we are definitely in the “wealthy in quotes” category, we are not elites. The combined age of our six cars is 115 years, with two of them worth no more than $500 (The two motorcycles add another 57 years)

Many of my friends make 1/2 or 1/4 what my husband and I make and have even more cars.

The “daily driver” (aka the “grocery getter”) in my world does not connote wealthy elite.

Intersting, I have never heard that applied to tech. I hear it all the time in my auto-enthusiast world, though, so it wouldn’t phase any of us.

To be true, not all people who own a large number of cars are extraordinarily wealthy. My husband and I own 6 cars and two motorcycles (and a tractor) and while we are definitely in the “wealthy in quotes” category, we are not elites. The combined age of our six cars is 115 years, with two of them worth no more than $500 (The two motorcycles add another 57 years)

Many of my friends make 1/2 or 1/4 what my husband and I make and have even more cars.

The “daily driver” (aka the “grocery getter”) in my world does not connote wealthy elite.
I just hate people who call it "my electronic computing device."

Back
Top Bottom