• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Amelia Earhart's 10E Electra possibly found?

T.G.G. Moogly

Traditional Atheist
Basic Beliefs
egalitarian
This story is some weeks old. Looking at the sonar images I am not convinced they found a Lockheed 10E Electra. Their image, if it is indeed an aircraft, looks more like something smaller with more windswept aerodynamic wings. If you google up images of Earhart's plane it just doesn't match the sonar images, particularly the angle and size of the front wings. Granted this is an image from 16,000 feet underwater and there will be distortions but maybe a submersible with cameras can check it out.

My preferred theory is Gardner Island as castaways. Time will tell I suppose.

Everything we know about the potential discovery Amelia Earhart’s long-lost plane

This story is some weeks old. Looking at the sonar images I am not convinced they found a Lockheed 10E Electra. Their image, if it is indeed an aircraft, looks more like something smaller with more windswept aerodynamic wings. If you google up images of Earhart's plane it just doesn't match the sonar images, particularly the angle and size of the front wings. Granted this is an image from 16,000 feet underwater and there will be distortions but maybe a submersible with cameras can check it out.

My preferred theory is Gardner Island as castaways. Time will tell I suppose.

Everything we know about the potential discovery Amelia Earhart’s long-lost plane
My preferred theory is "coconut crabs".

I can't help thinking that sheering, as the plane hit the water, might explain any change in the rake of the wings.

I can't help thinking that sheering, as the plane hit the water, might explain any change in the rake of the wings.
If she performed a water landing, ala Sully, the wings would not be affected. If she took a nose dive from high enough that could happen I suppose. to some degree, But the change in angle is very large. I would think wings would break off if they were bent that far from impact.

Back
Top Bottom