• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

American presidential politics. A play thing for billionaires.

untermensche

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
magic mood ring
How does a third rate moron like Marco Rubio become a presidential candidate?

He has billionaires, not the people, supporting him. Billionaire Norman Braman. Billionaire Paul Singer. Billionaire Sheldon Adelson. And some others.

How does an insane religious fundamentalist like Ted Cruz become a presidential candidate?

He has billionaires, not the people, supporting him. Billionaire Robert Mercer. Billionaires Farris and Dan Wilks. And some others.

And of course who are they running against, billionaire Donald Trump.

And who is looking at an independent run for president? Billionaire Michael Bloomberg.

And who is supporting Hillary Clinton? Billionaire Warren Buffett.

No billionaires for Bernie though.

What a democracy.

No billionaires for Bernie though.

Patience, untermensche.

Billionaire environmental activist Tom Steyer said he is not ready to endorse Hillary Clinton, and he would be open to supporting her main rival, Bernie Sanders, if he becomes the Democratic nominee for president.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-steyer-idUSMTZSAPEC1K9038AB#

sanders-supporters-snow.jpg

Bernie is not there only because of billionaires like Cruz and Rubio or Walker when he was there.

Bernie is not there only because of billionaires like Cruz and Rubio or Walker when he was there.

Billionaires supported Rubio's state house run? Didn't think billionaires gave a crap about that. That's slumming. Should leave those races to the thousandaires.

Billionaires supported Rubio's state house run? Didn't think billionaires gave a crap about that. That's slumming. Should leave those races to the thousandaires.

Try to stay focused.

This is about a run for president.

Yeah, I mean, we need to go back to the time when the President was just a regular guy. Not someone with money or power or access to the corridors of power. Like that one guy...you know...President...um...

Yeah, I mean, we need to go back to the time when the President was just a regular guy. Not someone with money or power or access to the corridors of power. Like that one guy...you know...President...um...

Yes, this is the way the nation was set up.

So the rich could control the government.

I am saying it is not democracy.

So you're saying that a person who has themselves become wealthy or was an offspring of a wealthy person should be automatically disqualified from holding public office?

Dr. Franknfurter, who discovers a cure for breast cancer...sells it to a drug company for a billion dollars and launches a new career as a philanthropist and eventually gets it in his head "hey, I could be President" should be shut out of the process in your mind because he has too much money.

Is that what you're saying? Because that seems to be what you're saying.

So you're saying that a person who has themselves become wealthy or was an offspring of a wealthy person should be automatically disqualified from holding public office?

Dr. Franknfurter, who discovers a cure for breast cancer...sells it to a drug company for a billion dollars and launches a new career as a philanthropist and eventually gets it in his head "hey, I could be President" should be shut out of the process in your mind because he has too much money.

Requiring a billionaire to support you to run for president shuts a lot of people out.

Requiring a billionaire to support you to run for president shuts a lot of people out.

I'm with you on the whole idea that the admission price for the Presidential contest has been put out of the reach of just about everyone due to our campaign finance laws, but you didn't answer my question.

Does one being a billionaire (or otherwise wealthy) disqualify them from holding public office?

Because you seem to be saying "those with a personal fortune need not apply."

I'm with you on the whole idea that the admission price for the Presidential contest has been put out of the reach of just about everyone due to our campaign finance laws, but you didn't answer my question.

Does one being a billionaire (or otherwise wealthy) disqualify them from holding public office?

I would like a system where a billionaire or somebody who has sold their soul to billionaires had no greater chance of running for president than anyone else.

I would like a system where a billionaire or somebody who has sold their soul to billionaires had no greater chance of running for president than anyone else.

Okay...so how would we measure that, exactly?

I mean, measuring the net worth of a billionaire seems pretty straightforward, but about that "soul" part...

I mean, measuring the net worth of a billionaire seems pretty straightforward, but about that "soul" part...

When the billionaire is the only reason you are running for president you generally end up representing the billionaire and not the people who voted for you.

When the billionaire is the only reason you are running for president you generally end up representing the billionaire and not the people who voted for you.

Okay, so in your ideal society, people with a net worth north of a billion would be banned from running for or supporting someone running for public office. Money = disqualification from participation in the political process.

Is that what you're saying?

Okay, so in your ideal society, people with a net worth north of a billion would be banned from running for or supporting someone running for public office. Money = disqualification from participation in the political process.

You've said this absurdity many times now.

We have a system where money dominates.

That is not democracy. It is oligarchy with elections for the people who will represent the oligarchs.

You've said this absurdity many times now.

Yes, because you've refused to answer a very simple question.

In a functioning democracy, a person's net worth should neither disqualify them for elected office, nor guarantee them elected office. You seem to be making the case that a person's net worth should absolutely disqualify them. I keep asking because you keep dodging.

Yes or not, unter...should wealthy people be banned from holding elective office?

I await your non answer.

Back
Top Bottom