• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Android Google Assistant issue

DrZoidberg

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
I'm just wondering if I'm unique. I've got an Android Samsung s8. With a couple of days in between I get this text popping up:

"Your Google assistant is ready to help you get things done
turn on?"

Obviously I click no, because it's total bullshit. They still haven't been able to get it to work. The problem is that each time it pops up it blocks everything, so I have to deal with it. Which is dangerous when I'm driving. If I'm listening to podcasts with my hands full, I'm fucked until I get my hands unloaded. After clicking no, it'll pop up again within the next couple of minutes. And do this for about 20 minutes. Then it goes away for a few days. And then comes back. Also, when it's in this "phase" it might start audiobooks, or whatever randomly. I also have an Android S9, and that phone doesn't seem to have this. So I'm at a loss wtf is going on with my s8. I did have similar issues with the s7, but not as bad.

I'm reaching the point where I'm considering switching to iPhone. Because this ain't working.

I've tried googling other people with similar problems, and there's not as much grief about this as would be expected. While it's doing this "google assitant" bullshit, the phone is in practice useless. I need a dependable phone, and this one just ain't right now.

BTW, true story, when ever I've tried using my Google assistant to call people it's never managed to call the right person. It's called other people. But not the person I want it to call.

Maybe it hears swedish voices?
Anyway, does it understand swedish well? Maybe it sucks at swedish names?

Maybe it hears swedish voices?
Anyway, does it understand swedish well? Maybe it sucks at swedish names?

I don't want it at all. I don't want it to listen for anything ever. I want it to stop nagging me to use it.

Look in settings under notifications and see if you can turn it off.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S8, and I’ve never experienced the problem you encountered with Google Assistant, so I’m afraid I can’t help you. I’ve also never used that app. I’m wondering if it could be a modification made by your particular carrier. My carrier (AT&T) has several apps on my phone that I never use.

The only time I use vocal commands with my phone is in my car. Don’t have many problems there.

Before you buy an iPhone, you might check some other Androids, like LG, which I’ve had good luck with. I don’t imagine you’d want a Google phone though.

Mine has worked wonderfully for a year now, the only issue I ever have with it is when I'm driving and issue a command and it gets stuck because the phone is trying to transfer off wifi to the cellular network. Be that as it may, Samsung has Bixby, so maybe finding Google Assistant has sudden problems is somewhat expected. :p

Maybe when you get a spare few minutes, just try to accept it and activate once it pops up. Once it's activated you don't have to use it, and it doesn't use much in the way of resources. The setting for assistant are in the Google App itself if you want to look at all your options. Often going to the section marked "feed" or "your feed" and making sure that is turned off will stop it from nagging you. Since you have Bixby, perhaps activating that and then not using it may help too.

Good luck.

https://support.google.com/assistant/answer/7394306?hl=en

I would have been surprised if Google was dumb enough not to just let you turn it off. Or is the problem that you've turned it off and it keeps prompting you to turn it on?

Yup. On this phone I've never turned it on. It just keeps prompting. Really tiresome.

The good old 'user engagement' of bright-eyed business analysts sitting in a room wondering how they can make the user experience more wonderful.

This is is becoming all too common, companies breaking the fourth-wall in order to force you to use their products. I even saw it seep into Goodreads a few days ago, which I thought was the last good and holy place on the internet.

I'm just wondering if I'm unique. I've got an Android Samsung s8. With a couple of days in between I get this text popping up:

turn on?"

Obviously I click no, because it's total bullshit. They still haven't been able to get it to work. The problem is that each time it pops up it blocks everything, so I have to deal with it. Which is dangerous when I'm driving. If I'm listening to podcasts with my hands full, I'm fucked until I get my hands unloaded. After clicking no, it'll pop up again within the next couple of minutes. And do this for about 20 minutes. Then it goes away for a few days. And then comes back. Also, when it's in this "phase" it might start audiobooks, or whatever randomly. I also have an Android S9, and that phone doesn't seem to have this. So I'm at a loss wtf is going on with my s8. I did have similar issues with the s7, but not as bad.

I'm reaching the point where I'm considering switching to iPhone. Because this ain't working.

I've tried googling other people with similar problems, and there's not as much grief about this as would be expected. While it's doing this "google assitant" bullshit, the phone is in practice useless. I need a dependable phone, and this one just ain't right now.

BTW, true story, when ever I've tried using my Google assistant to call people it's never managed to call the right person. It's called other people. But not the person I want it to call.

You're annoyed that you can't turn off Google Assistant, but you think Apple will let you turn off Siri?

Have you ever used an Apple product before?

I'm not sure you understand how they do things.

turn on?"

You're annoyed that you can't turn off Google Assistant, but you think Apple will let you turn off Siri?

Hm... aw... fuck. I hate this shit so much. At least I know how to programme my phone. I can create an app that blocks it. But that has the potential of causing all kinds of mayhem down the line. Not the route I'd like to go

It's getting worse and worse. Now I can't listen to podcasts without it interrupting once a minute to ask if I want to turn Google assistant on.

I did try turning it on and off to see if that would help. But just seems to have made it worse. Plus that it opens up the screen allowing my pocket to push buttons. Also... can't be good for my battery

turn on?"

I have an iPhone, and to turn off Siri (one of the first things I did when I got the phone), was an incredibly complex and difficult process of going to Settings>Siri, and putting the button in the 'off' position. I have not seen or heard anything about Siri since, until I went into settings just now to take this evidential screen capture:

IMG_3225.PNG

turn on?"

I have an iPhone, and to turn off Siri (one of the first things I did when I got the phone), was an incredibly complex and difficult process of going to Settings>Siri, and putting the button in the 'off' position. I have not seen or heard anything about Siri since, until I went into settings just now to take this evidential screen capture:

View attachment 16143

Thanks for the info.

You haven't needed to turn it back off since? Not even after OS updates?

View attachment 16143

Thanks for the info.

You haven't needed to turn it back off since? Not even after OS updates?

Nope.

It's too bad that Google has to deal with so many different devices, it creates situations like this and it really can screw the customer experience. On my LG it's as simple as going to Google>Setting>Notifications>Your feed and turn it off. Then I see nothing at all. (I keep it on though because it's become damn handy.)

I prefer android myself for the customization and other options, especially since I often root the device to expand it's capabilities, but I prefer a more vanilla brand of Android, so other device features don't get in the way and cause situations like DrZoidberg is having.

Perhaps going to the Google app>App settings>Clear all data might help, it will roll back the Google app to it's initial factory condition and then reinstall updates, that will also clear the cache. After you clear data, restart the phone go to the play store and perform an update and see if that helps. If not, HERE is a Google Groups page with a very similar issue to yours. Sucks when something that should be so simple, well, isn't.

Problem solved. I had a piece of lint stuck in the microphone port. Apparently this triggered the Google assistant to go into overdrive. I just removed the lint and all was good.

Back
Top Bottom