• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Anonymous: "We are the law now."

While I generally support what they're doing with the KKK/police in the Furgeson thing, this sentiment seems a bit extreme, doesn't it?

"The law" is something that anonymous appears ridiculously ill-prepared to be. This is unreal shit.

Although in fairness, the right wing side of this equation has threatened to hunt people down and murder them in the finest anti-PC tradition. That doesn't make Anonymous' declaration any less nonsensical, but at least I can kind of understand how this would prompt an overreaction.

They are a bunch of cowards that turn the second the FBI shows up.

Ya, fucking pansy-assed untrained and unarmed civilians who don't stand and fight against heavily armed police officers who have the weight of the most powerful government in history backing them up.

What a bunch of pussies. I hate those guys. :mad:

They are a bunch of cowards that turn the second the FBI shows up.

Ya, fucking pansy-assed untrained and unarmed civilians who don't stand and fight against heavily armed police officers who have the weight of the most powerful government in history backing them up.

There are not heroes. A lot of these morons hang out on 4Chan and use "justice" as an excuse to hack shit.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...us-LulzSec-arrested-leader-Sabu-turns-in.html

There are not heroes. A lot of these morons hang out on 4Chan and use "justice" as an excuse to hack shit.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...us-LulzSec-arrested-leader-Sabu-turns-in.html

That seems irrelevant to the point. For those members not in this sub-group you're mentioning and who are actually concerned about justice, how would not being cowardly in the face of the FBI be in any way beneficial to their goals?

I have no attachment to Anon other than finding them one of the more fascinating and revealing phenomena of the information age.

We're talking about a hive mind with technical skills. We're all part of a hive mind, or more accurately, hive minds, plural. Anon is interesting because while they cross lines, laws and social expectations, the Anon collective seems to lean toward using technology and anonymity for justice and fighting abuse of power. That doesn't change the fact that many Anons are the same guys who hack into the computers of celebrities and others where exposure of private information has no social value at all, only harm. As individuals, we are not naturally resistant to power or perception of power. Yet the Anon hive mind tends to steer toward fighting and exposing abuses of power and away from "cockroach" activities, i.e., viciously attacking someone just because they can.

They're no different from the rest of us. Anon is unique and awful and wonderful. For me, worth watching.

I'd hardly call them skilled. 99% of their attacks are DDoS. You can set up a botnet with point and click software. The problem is, if they launch a DDoS attack they are using the computer of someone who never agreed to participate. They are a cyber lynch mob.

I don't support or oppose Anon. I agree that EFF is a valuable effort worth supporting.

Honestly, I find Anonymous fascinating because it appears to be an attempt to deliberately organize in the manner of a Stand Alone Complex, with results that are predictably far less impressive than what was portrayed in Ghost in the Shell. Instead of spontaneously organizing into a well-oiled machine with the outward appearance of leadership, being leaderless has resulted in them running in every direction at once and producing actions that are mostly stupid, pointless, or even counter-productive to their goals.

It's practically a textbook example of what's wrong with anarchy as a means of organizing society. I get a laugh when they do the headless chicken routine (which would be most of the time), jeer when they do something incredibly counter-productive, and genuinely cheer when they accidentally do something good/right.

Honestly, I find Anonymous fascinating because it appears to be an attempt to deliberately organize in the manner of a Stand Alone Complex, with results that are predictably far less impressive than what was portrayed in Ghost in the Shell. Instead of spontaneously organizing into a well-oiled machine with the outward appearance of leadership, being leaderless has resulted in them running in every direction at once and producing actions that are mostly stupid, pointless, or even counter-productive to their goals.

It's practically a textbook example of what's wrong with anarchy as a means of organizing society. I get a laugh when they do the headless chicken routine (which would be most of the time), jeer when they do something incredibly counter-productive, and genuinely cheer when they accidentally do something good/right.

Anonymous does have leaders however temporary and minor. Lulsect had a leader, for example. When he got caught he ratted out his fellow Anons. (To be fair the state used his daughter against him. Of course he should have took the time to think about what he was going to do and the consequences of his actions if he got caught before he did it.)

The problem is that they are structureless. I read an interesting article detailing how structureless organizations unintentionally creature an informal hierarchy which leads to problems suck as elitism.

The article focuses on feminist organizations but can easily apply to non-feminist groups as well. I will dig it up when I can. Or if I remember.

Another problem is that Anonymous does not have clear and precise goals. They just run around in a mask of a theocratic terrorist.

As for the claim that they are the law now I can only reply with a LOL.

Hey, anyone who stands up to, and fucks with the KKK is OK in my book.

What do you think about the ACLU defending them?

I'm sorry, the ACLU defending who? The KKK? I suppose I'd actually be OK with it. Hateful speech may not be nice, but it is protected here. That said, if they're going to defend the KKK being able to make threats, then I'm not down with that.

Back
Top Bottom