• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Another police shooting in the St. Louis area

I don't know about you, but it doesn't take me six minutes to eat a sandwich.

Vonderrit Myers (right) with three sandwiches in his lap and his friend posing with what looks like cough syrup ...
Bz03RufCcAEn-Rp.png

Derec, I would like to thank you for feeling the need to pile on stuff that is irrelevant to the incident that involved a guy getting killed. It is just so constructive of you. Very few are claiming that this guy was an angel.

Derec,

Is it very important to you that when black men are shot to death that everyone know they deserved it, they asked for it, and that they were very bad people who did very bad things all throughout their lives?

Derec, I would like to thank you for feeling the need to pile on stuff that is irrelevant to the incident that involved a guy getting killed. It is just so constructive of you.
I think him having three guns in the photo is very relevant when people (such as RavenSky) dispute that he had a gun.
Very few are claiming that this guy was an angel.
I guess you missed all the new St. Louis protests over this "angel" getting shot. Also see RavenSky even disputing he had a gun in the first place.

Derec,

Is it very important to you that when black men are shot to death that everyone know they deserved it, they asked for it, and that they were very bad people who did very bad things all throughout their lives?

I think having information about such is important. If it turned out that Myers was indeed a good kid (like the family claimed) it would change the probability calculus here. But all the evidence points to him being a thug.

Derec, I would like to thank you for feeling the need to pile on stuff that is irrelevant to the incident that involved a guy getting killed. It is just so constructive of you. Very few are claiming that this guy was an angel.
I think him having three guns in the photo is very relevant when people (such as RavenSky) dispute that he had a gun.

The shopkeeper disputes whether he had a gun. I posted what the shopkeeper said.

But more to the point of your photo, how does having guns on his lap at some unknown time prior to his death for purposes of a very stupid photo support the police claim that he had (& shot) a gun that day? Or refute the shopkeeper's contention that Myers did not have a gun on that day in the minutes before he was killed?

Answer: it doesn't. This is just your typical tactic of trying to make the dead black male look as bad as you can possibly make him in order to justify his death.

Unless the photo was taken minutes before the shooting, it means nothing as to the incident at hand.
Very few are claiming that this guy was an angel.
I guess you missed all the new St. Louis protests over this "angel" getting shot.
I have already addressed that. I'm talking about here. You seem almost giddy that he is dead.
Also see RavenSky even disputing he had a gun in the first place.
I did not see what RavenSky said that he couldn't have had a gun.

I (a 53-year old privileged white woman) must be a thug then, too. When I was at a party when I was around 18, several of the upper middle class white males were posing with guns and knives while I took their photos. They (& I) were just as young and stupid as Myers and his friend in the photo you posted. The mere presence of such a photo does not make Myers (or me and my friends) "thugs"

P.S. The young men I partied with grew up to be lawyers and executives instead of dead. I wonder how much of that was due to the neighborhood we lived in and the color of our skin. Actually, I don't wonder. I know.

Derec,

I think having information about such is important. If it turned out that Myers was indeed a good kid (like the family claimed) it would change the probability calculus here. But all the evidence points to him being a thug.
It doesn't matter if he was a thug. Being a thug doesn't make him automatically guilty of firing a gun at an officer. How many thugs out there? How many have shot at a cop?

All that matters is whether he fired three shots at the officer.

I (a 53-year old privileged white woman) must be a thug then, too. When I was at a party when I was around 18, several of the upper middle class white males were posing with guns and knives while I took their photos. They (& I) were just as young and stupid as Myers and his friend in the photo you posted. The mere presence of such a photo does not make Myers (or me and my friends) "thugs"

P.S. The young men I partied with grew up to be lawyers and executives instead of dead. I wonder how much of that was due to the neighborhood we lived in and the color of our skin. Actually, I don't wonder. I know.

I too have photos of me posing with weapons. I am sitting on an artillery piece making a devil sign. I was suspended for mouthing off in high school (or was it tardiness?) and didn't make the dean's list for three consecutive semesters in college. I also have been known to wear a hoody and have taken recreational drugs. In other words, I am a monster.

I too have photos of me posing with weapons. I am sitting on an artillery piece making a devil sign. I was suspended for mouthing off in high school (or was it tardiness?) and didn't make the dean's list for three consecutive semesters in college. I also have been known to wear a hoody and have taken recreational drugs. In other words, I am a monster.

Oh crap, I totally forgot my hoodie! Yep, I'm clearly a thug. :p

We have his folks claiming he was an angel.

Besides, I find the rest of that picture more damning than the guns.

1) He's showing off one of the components of a recreational drug.

2) Look at the hand signs. I don't know what it means but I doubt it's innocent.

We have his folks claiming he was an angel.
His folks aren't posting here.
Besides, I find the rest of that picture more damning than the guns.

1) He's showing off one of the components of a recreational drug.
Oh my fucking god! Drugs!

2) Look at the hand signs. I don't know what it means but I doubt it's innocent.
Probably telling the guy to steal second.

Personally, to me the most damning part is that his pants aren't even remotely pulled up. That nigga just asking to be killed!

You don't know what it means, but you assume it must be bad? Why? Because he's black?

Sometimes the crap you write really pisses me off.

The hand sign the guys are making means "call me". Unable to tell in a still photo, but if they wiggled their hand a little bit it's a Shaka, which basically means "Be cool" or a type of "hello" greeting.

You don't know what it means, but you assume it must be bad? Why? Because he's black?

Sometimes the crap you write really pisses me off.

The hand sign the guys are making means "call me". Unable to tell in a still photo, but if they wiggled their hand a little bit it's a Shaka, which basically means "Be cool" or a type of "hello" greeting.
Excuse me stewardess, but I speak jive.

I still say he was signalling for the runner to steal second.

It doesn't matter if he was a thug.
Of course it matters. It makes the police story much more believable than the family's denials. While past behavior doesn't perfectly predict future behavior, it's a pretty good predictor all things considered.
Being a thug doesn't make him automatically guilty of firing a gun at an officer.
Nobody is saying it does. But I do not think it's a coincidence either.
How many thugs out there?
Missing a verb there. I would say a lot.
How many have shot at a cop?
You are getting the conditional probability wrong. The question is not what the probability is of somebody being shot by a cop given that they are a thug (small). The question is, what is the probability of him having shot at the police a) given that he was shot by a cop, b) given that he was a thug, and c) given that police found a fired S&W 9mm at the scene as well as three bullets behind the officer.
I.e. do the facts as we know him (including the perp's past thuggish behavior) fit the police story or the family story better? What do you say Jimmy?
All that matters is whether he fired three shots at the officer.
Since that is disputed by the family and none of us were there we have to decide which side is more believable. And one of the factors that plays toward police story being more believable is Vonderrit having been a thug who was awaiting trial on a gun offense. Also, at the time he was arrested, he had outstanding warrants.
St. Louis Post Dispatch said:
The five in the Buick all scattered on foot, according to the police report. Police say Myers was seen pulling a handgun from his front and throwing it in a sewage drain. Police caught him nearby and recovered the gun, a loaded .380-caliber pistol. He told the officers he was running because he had three city bench warrants, police would learn

Oh, and one of the guns Vonderrit so proudly displayed on his lap matches the gun he fired at the cop.
Fox 2 St. Louis said:
Vonderrit Myers Jr. reportedly posted a picture on social media before someone dismantled the page. You can see three handguns in his lap, including a 9 millimeter Smith and Wesson semi-automatic.
Brian Millikan, the attorney for the officer who shot Myers said, ‘The one weapon with the silver slide on it has been positively identified by my client as the gun that was used in the shooting that night.’
The suspect’s family claimed publicly that Myers did not have a gun.
Millikan said, ‘We want people to know, not only did he have it but this is the actual weapon that he used that night.’
In the video the reporter also says that it was 20 minutes after Vonderrit left the store that the police officer first engaged him. So plenty of time to eat the red herring turkey sandwich, get a hoodie and arm himself (if he wasn't already).

I think any further apologetics for this man be it from the shopkeeper, the family shyster or anyone else is getting more pathetic by the day.

Oh, and I have a serious question about "urban" culture. Is this a thing among black youths these days? Like sagging or something?
1412913743099_Image_galleryImage_An_off_duty_police_office.JPG

Or was he just a really big Al Bundy fan?
images

Last edited:
Oh, and one of the guns Vonderrit so proudly displayed on his lap matches the gun he fired at the cop.
Fox 2 St. Louis said:
Vonderrit Myers Jr. reportedly posted a picture on social media before someone dismantled the page. You can see three handguns in his lap, including a 9 millimeter Smith and Wesson semi-automatic.
Brian Millikan, the attorney for the officer who shot Myers said, ‘The one weapon with the silver slide on it has been positively identified by my client as the gun that was used in the shooting that night.’
The suspect’s family claimed publicly that Myers did not have a gun.
Millikan said, ‘We want people to know, not only did he have it but this is the actual weapon that he used that night.’
In the video the reporter also says that it was 20 minutes after Vonderrit left the store that the police officer first engaged him.

I trust Fox about as much as you trust HuffPo, but it looks like you finally managed to find something that does seem to plausibly support the cop's version of events.

It's too bad you had to bury the only piece of useful information in a bunch of your typical racist-sounding character assassinations.

Back
Top Bottom