• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Any Jap Anime fans here? I've a desire for something substantive, but may have watched everything good?

DolphinDynasty

Basic Beliefs
humanistic situational ethicist
Soooo, I like cartoons, especially from abroad.

I've watched sooo many though, from all sorts of genre, and yet there are hundreds I'm sure I'm missing purely because I'm more for good storytelling, dialogue, character growth and thematics, which is getting harder and harder to find in recent time. I'd like to watch something recent too, but I think I've already seen everything of note done in the past 5 five years. Anybody else think its sad when there's no more, as yet, new entertainment to get a bit lost in?

If you go for older material you get to see a lot more hand drawn cel animation.

What have you seen that you would still like to see similar things to?

Have you seen Perfect Blue? Don't read anything about it, just watch it. Just know that the rights for it in live action were bought just to make a scene from it in another movie.

Last edited:
Hmmm... Gate, Rokka - Braves of the Six Flowers, Drifters, Akamai ga Kill are some of the recent ones I've watched.

I like RWBY, not for everyone, think people who love Final Fantasy

If you go for older material you get to see a lot more hand drawn cel animation.

What have you seen that you would still like to see similar things to?

Have you seen Perfect Blue? Don't read anything about it, just watch it. Just know that the rights for it in live action were bought just to make a scene from it in another movie.

I LOVE Perfect Blue and still own it on VHS (still have a player for it too).

As to the post earlier, I know China and Korea have their own cartoons and have made headway in making artfully engaging stories, just haven't seen much of it. I'm more for live action drama/dramedy from Korea and China.

I've recently seen Stein's Gate, Erased, Shingeki no Kyojin, and Natsume Yuujinchou, all of which had either delightful, or suspenseful elements as well as rather stunning visuals at times.

Only, as I'm an avid horror/suspense and fantasy fan but also prefer more of the eastern style in terms of the art, I have no idea what to start on next.

I do miss the old cell animation sometimes, but do see works that blend tech generated and cell hand drawn mediums together.
I'm not a fan of mecha, or so ridiculous as to defy any sense animes. And I can't often get into ones where characters personalities, morality and forms never alter or grow.

I kinda liked Mirai Nikki and Shikki as well as When They Cry even with the tropes often found in anime in abundance.

I wonder if there's a better way then just googling "anime similar to . . " cuz trying that lead to my watching all the above, yes, but the list is now turning back the same results, or ones from earlier decades that I already watched.

Ghost Hunt, Skip Beat, Another, Ghost Hound, Akira, 8 Man After, Robotech (surprisingly worth it for a mecha anime), and one of my favs, Robot Carnival for the depth and variability to theme and characters, I also loved.

But I can only watch them over again so many times.

Anybody know of something similar and relatively recent (past 15 years or so)? Not against older styles per se, but there's a bit more of a washed out look to me now that I've seen some more of the newer stuff.

I can think of one mecha anime for non-mecha fans. The Gundam story "War in the Pocket" might be interesting. It is just 6 episodes, has very little fighting, being more of a commentary on war.

One of my first, and favorite anime was Starblazers (space battleship Yamato). Saw it when I was 9. They remade the series a couple years ago. Character and ship designs are all the originals, but modern animation techniques make them look great. Still waiting for it to be released around here so I can watch them.

I can think of one mecha anime for non-mecha fans. The Gundam story "War in the Pocket" might be interesting. It is just 6 episodes, has very little fighting, being more of a commentary on war.

One of my first, and favorite anime was Starblazers (space battleship Yamato). Saw it when I was 9. They remade the series a couple years ago. Character and ship designs are all the originals, but modern animation techniques make them look great. Still waiting for it to be released around here so I can watch them.

I've seen the original Starblazers, and handfuls of Gundam Wing iterations, plus Tekkaman, and Voltron (the original being far better than the shitty Americanized remake).

Hmmm, I've reduced myself to attempting to finish watching Bleach, even though it has so many ridiculous fighting style deus ex machine type weirdness.

I wish Hayao Miazaki had done serialized anime as well as films.

One of my firsts was a black and white set of Mighty Mouse, and Atom Boy I think it was calle, which a distant relative had to play on a Beta Tape machine, which he owned two of for reasons he never made clear.

How familiar are you with slice of life anime?

I'm not a hardcore anime fan by any means, but every once in a while I really like slice of life anime that is meant for female audiences.

Princess Jellyfish
I never liked Pygmalion because there's something uncomfortably classist about it. The social stratification of British society makes me uncomfortable, and Pygmalion is dripping with class crap. In this reinterpretation of Pygmalion, instead of a lowborn woman, the main character is a NEET (no education, no job, no direction in life, no ambition), while the role of the professor is a young man who is a cross dresser with an expertise in fashion who decides to give the protagonist a makeover and falls for her.

Slice of life works best for me when the characters are very eccentric, and boy does this deliver.

I would recommend more, but I don't know that many.

Other girly anime that I liked: Bunny Drop, Angel Beats.

A recent slice of life one is "Snow White with the Red Hair". An over privileged prince wants the fairest woman in the land to be his mistress. His aids mention a young herbalist with bright red hair. However, she has a mind of her own, so leaves the country before being forced to do anything. Ends up befriending a young man who turns out to be the prince of the neighboring kingdom.

A recent slice of life one is "Snow White with the Red Hair". An over privileged prince wants the fairest woman in the land to be his mistress. His aids mention a young herbalist with bright red hair. However, she has a mind of her own, so leaves the country before being forced to do anything. Ends up befriending a young man who turns out to be the prince of the neighboring kingdom.

I heard of this one, but have been putting it off for fear it was just to close to the current Disney re-make parade. I shall have to try it now.

I didn't see you mention Death Note or Code Geass, both of which are cool. Ping pong is pretty entertaining if you like sports anime. it sounds like you have at least started Bleach, Naruto, and Dragonball. Others that I liked are Seven Deadly Sins, Noragami, Assasination Classroom, Akame ga kill, Attack on Titan (don't see the non-anime movie), Rurouni Kenshin (Samurai X), Case Closed, Ultimate Otaku Teacher. You mentioned Shiki and Ghost Hunt, the lady who wrote those had an earlier series that was good as well (Kingdom?), it was more fantasy, however. My personal favorite ongoing series is One Piece.

I didn't see you mention Death Note or Code Geass, both of which are cool. Ping pong is pretty entertaining if you like sports anime. it sounds like you have at least started Bleach, Naruto, and Dragonball. Others that I liked are Seven Deadly Sins, Noragami, Assasination Classroom, Akame ga kill, Attack on Titan (don't see the non-anime movie), Rurouni Kenshin (Samurai X), Case Closed, Ultimate Otaku Teacher. You mentioned Shiki and Ghost Hunt, the lady who wrote those had an earlier series that was good as well (Kingdom?), it was more fantasy, however. My personal favorite ongoing series is One Piece.

I loved the beginning of Bleach, Naruto, and Dragonball (not Z the original). I id finally get through most of the last hundred epis of Naruto, just to see the end, but hated that the creator had planned a different ending he was apparently pressured to change, because people are such shit at seeing males even a having great friendships, thinking it's al gonna go gay, or that fi it does that's also bad.

I tried Death Note and Code Geass, Record of Lodoss War, Assassination Classroom too. Assassination Classroom was a little too weird for me. I love Attack on Titan, saw both Rurouni Kenshin and Smurai X, preferring Samurai X for how much closer it was historically to the class structure and perception about samurai.

Saiyuki was also really, really good. And Fushigi Yuugi (Strange Play in English).

I detest the art style and more baldy put together tropes of One Piece, unfortunately, so I'll probably never watch it. I also tried Blue no Exorcists, but lost interest in the main character.

Have not tried Norogami or Seven Deadly Sins, but heard mixed stuff on them. Maybe I'll try them too. And I didn't know the mangaka who wrote Ghost Hunt had an earlier one, even if more fantasy than supernatural.

Thanks.

I loved the beginning of Bleach, Naruto, and Dragonball (not Z the original). I id finally get through most of the last hundred epis of Naruto, just to see the end, but hated that the creator had planned a different ending he was apparently pressured to change, because people are such shit at seeing males even a having great friendships, thinking it's al gonna go gay, or that fi it does that's also bad.

I tried Death Note and Code Geass, Record of Lodoss War, Assassination Classroom too. Assassination Classroom was a little too weird for me. I love Attack on Titan, saw both Rurouni Kenshin and Smurai X, preferring Samurai X for how much closer it was historically to the class structure and perception about samurai.

Saiyuki was also really, really good. And Fushigi Yuugi (Strange Play in English).

I detest the art style and more baldy put together tropes of One Piece, unfortunately, so I'll probably never watch it. I also tried Blue no Exorcists, but lost interest in the main character.

Have not tried Norogami or Seven Deadly Sins, but heard mixed stuff on them. Maybe I'll try them too. And I didn't know the mangaka who wrote Ghost Hunt had an earlier one, even if more fantasy than supernatural.

Thanks.

The problem with Shonen is that a lot of them arent planned out to the finish because the idea is to keep it going as long as humanly possible. So you get a show like Bleach which has a solid first (And arguably second) season but everything after is just mindless nonsense.

These days I don't usually bother with a show unless I know it has a definite ending.

Thanks.

The problem with Shonen is that a lot of them arent planned out to the finish because the idea is to keep it going as long as humanly possible. So you get a show like Bleach which has a solid first (And arguably second) season but everything after is just mindless nonsense.

These days I don't usually bother with a show unless I know it has a definite ending.

Yes! That's my usual fare for series long anime, not to watch unless I now if it is complete and/or the story has more substance than a group of separate but interconnected fights.

I'm more frustrate though, if they began producing it and then realize a year into first season work that they'll not have enough source material to present a huge gap, like with Attack on Titan.

The earlier series by the one who wrote Ghost Hunt and Shiki is The Twelve Kingdoms. Some others I thought of that I liked were Durarara!! (First season), Tokyo Ghoul, and Parasyte. I hadn't heard of Fushigi Yûgi -- I'll check it out.

The earlier series by the one who wrote Ghost Hunt and Shiki is The Twelve Kingdoms. Some others I thought of that I liked were Durarara!! (First season), Tokyo Ghoul, and Parasyte. I hadn't heard of Fushigi Yûgi -- I'll check it out.

I think Twelve Kingdoms and Fushigi Yuugi are similar so you might like it.

I tried Teraformars but not Parasyte, which has similar beasties to it. Another one to put on my list.

I can't be the only one here who watches the occasional girly anime. 'Fess up, guys.

What ones have you watched? I've watched some Sailor Moon, and Card Captor Sakura. Magica Madoka is a dark, bizarre twist on the 'magical pretty girls' genre.

Soooo, I like cartoons, especially from abroad.

I've watched sooo many though, from all sorts of genre, and yet there are hundreds I'm sure I'm missing purely because I'm more for good storytelling, dialogue, character growth and thematics, which is getting harder and harder to find in recent time. I'd like to watch something recent too, but I think I've already seen everything of note done in the past 5 five years. Anybody else think its sad when there's no more, as yet, new entertainment to get a bit lost in?

Do you like melting/bleeding stuff from transferred vhs? Lodoss War and styles like that had a "flaw" on vhs. I see it simulated on youtube from almost to many artists with pirated software and too much free time. In 2014 I liked Pertubator vids because they had an old Nintendo look blended with hints of what I'm going to call tetsuo prima, since Akira is probably the most popular example - when watched in dubbed vhs format. Dunno the effect's actual tag, according software and "artists". Nothing terribly new in the visual art sense but I find the effects sorta nostalgic and endearing when blended with synths and good old dystopian future whatnots. Homo-cybernetic sex bots with cool weapons. Cant go wrong there. Personally I'm all about dragons, melting swords and decent plots.. but I think the effect looks neat however it is used.

I can't be the only one here who watches the occasional girly anime. 'Fess up, guys.

What ones have you watched? I've watched some Sailor Moon, and Card Captor Sakura. Magica Madoka is a dark, bizarre twist on the 'magical pretty girls' genre.

Heh heh, in my younger years, um, yes. We'll go with that. ;P Sailor Moon, Card Captors, Kyo Kara Maou I Shoujo I think despite it all being pretty boys and harem style admiration.

Back
Top Bottom