• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Anybody bought/played Fallout 4 yet?

C_Mucius_Scaevola

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Well, anybody?

I won't be buying it myself for a while yet. I'll wait for a) when it comes up with a large discount in a Steam sale; and b) when it's been patched to sort out the inevitable bugs. Besides, I finally turned my attentions to Assassin's Creed: Black Flag (the best AC since Ezio, at least), so I'm kind of busy right now ...

But I'm interested to hear from anybody who's played it already (if you can spare the time) and find out how you think it compares to previous Fallout games ...

The recommended PC specs include a 4GB VRAM graphics card. I'll have to spend some dough to update from my GTX 680.

My pre-order copy is on the way, and I should have my grubby mitts on it tomorrow. I have already notified the family that PS4 privileges have been reserved only and entirely for me for at least 48 hours after I have removed the shrink wrap. There was much wailing and gnashing of teeth.

I customarily wait for the first round of patches to come out before I play a Bethesda game.

I love them, but they are buggy.

Yeah, a little. I started my male character on my XB1, escaped Vault 111 when the cryogenics failed, fought some radroaches, got a pistol, have met Dogmeat and Codsworth. Haven't started my female character on my PC yet. So far I like it. Seemed awkward fighting radroaches with just my fists and no V.A.T.S. You do get a pip-boy before leaving the vault, but not before your first fights.

Used a baseball bat in Fallout 3 during the quest Escape. Got the pistol from Amata after she'd killed Officer Mack.

Was fucked up to see Nora get shot in the face for not giving up Shaun right before the cryofreeze.

started playing as soon as it unlocked on steam. have been having hours of fun wandering around and building stuff.

I actually just got notification that Fallout 4 arrived in my mailbox a day early. Will be diving in as soon as I get home. I feel a bout of radiation sickness coming on, which is likely to keep me away from work for the next couple of days.

Ugh, I really wanted to get into Fallout 3, but two problems:

1. I have trouble enjoying single player CRPG without a party.
  2. I got distracted by a MMORPG and forgot to go back to it.

So I doubt I will even purchase Fallout 4, at least not until I get off my ass and play Fallout 3, but I am a huge fan of the franchise in general. I simply loved the first two games. For all that the first game marketed itself as "a traditional RPG, but in a sci-fi setting," that first game broke a lot of new ground that modern RPG fans probably take for granted.

Speaking of Fallout, Wisecrack (the same people who do Thug Notes) had an interesting analysis of the themes in Fallout, and their analysis focuses mostly on the third game:

I got it on PS4. So far, I'm underwhelmed. It's not that the game is bad, it's just so... safe? It's like Bethesda looked at their last few hit games and went "let's just do all that again and not really change anything." The formula is good, it works, it's immersive and all. But it feels kind of stale in 2015. Go to the marker, talk to the guy, get the quest, do the thing, and all of it is presented in the same style and tone as Fallout 3. It feels more like an expansion pack with some aesthetic updates than a sequel, while Fallout 3 was a dramatic leap forward from Fallout 2. I know I'm gonna enjoy the game, I just wished they took a few more risks... any, really.

Underseer, don't forget Fallout New Vegas if you haven't already played it. IMO it's a little better than Fallout 3. Both are good games IMO.

Underseer, don't forget Fallout New Vegas if you haven't already played it. IMO it's a little better than Fallout 3. Both are good games IMO.

I enjoyed New vegas, but really, I thought FO3 was much better. Maybe it was partly because that was the first game I played in the series and it was fresher to me in terms of overall concept, setting, lore, story, etc., but it had a much bigger impact on me whatever the reason. In all honesty, I thought NV was really just more of the same (not a bad thing in itself) transported from D.C. to Nevada.

I got a couple of hours in with FO4 last night. So far, it is very much like FO3, but for me this is not a bad thing. The graphics are updated a bit, with a more varied palette, but I have not seen anything astonishing just yet. I have heard there are some clipping (all versions) and framerate (consoles) issues, as well as the occasional crash (mostly PC), but have not yet experienced any problems on my PS4 version.

The new VATS system was the most jarring change for me. The first time I had to use it was when I was confronted with half a dozen radroaches in a narrow corridor, with a couple of them flying at me quickly. Using VATS no longer pauses the game, but instead simply slows it down. As I was struggling with targeting the correct roach, and the specific body part I wanted to target, the first couple of roaches got to me and did some damage. I finished the encounter in real time mode, and was cursing the VATS system. I am still coming to grips with it, and if I don't start targeting in VATS quickly enough, I still end up with enemies hitting me in melee before I can take them down. That said, I still use VATS when I have the AP for it, because I am terrible at FPS combat. I am hoping I adjust to the new system before it becomes too frustrating for me.

The next unexpected change was the removal of the skill system from SPECIAL. It is all attributes and perks now, but there are a metric shit ton of perks to choose from. It is almost overwhelming, but the perks you can choose are limited by your attributes. Every time you level up, you can choose to assign a point to an attribute, or a perk (perks have multiple levels now). I built my character with a high Intelligence, expecting to be able to use this to quickly pump up skills, so I was a bit disappointed to find that there were no skills. On the other hand, a high intelligence translates to bonus XP, so my choice should still pay off in the long run, allowing me to level up more quickly, and choose more perks.

Companions are much improved. First of all, they can't be killed. That was my problem with companions in FO3, my companions never lasted long, and I was often the reason why they died, having accidentally killed them myself. The most often heard muttered phrase from me when wandering the wasteland with a companion was "Silly bitch, that'll teach you to get in my way!" Beyond not being able to die, they are also more controllable. You can tell them exactly what to equip, and what to do.

Dialogue trees are also an improvement over FO3. You get a couple of direct responses, as well as options that are just general tone like "sarcastic", so you know a bit better how what you are going to say is going to come out. On the other hand, you only ever have 4 responses, and from what I have heard NPCs are not as sensitive to your dialogue as they were in New Vegas.

The new crafting system seems intriguing. In addition to building and upgrading weapons, armor, food, and drugs, you can now build entire settlements, and virtually everything you find in the wasteland is usable in crafting. I have not yet started crafting yet, but have found crafting stations in numerous locations already. I think it will become a big part of the game for me, as I am often a sucker for crafting, especially when the options are this varied.

All in all, I am loving the shit out of it, and do not regret picking it up early at all. I just hope I will still feel the same a month from now. The Fallout series has never disappointed me as far as wasting vast amounts of my time.

I enjoyed New vegas, but really, I thought FO3 was much better. Maybe it was partly because that was the first game I played in the series and it was fresher to me in terms of overall concept, setting, lore, story, etc., but it had a much bigger impact on me whatever the reason. In all honesty, I thought NV was really just more of the same (not a bad thing in itself) transported from D.C. to Nevada.

Fallout 3 is also the first one I played as well. I liked the game quite a bit, and without it I wouldn't have purchased Fallout New Vegas. I do have the earlier Fallout games, since Fallout Anthology was released earlier this year, but I haven't played them yet. I'm wondering what is in store for the DLCs and the mods for Fallout 4. I do think that Three Dog was a better DJ, by a whole lot, than Mr. New Vegas. I do wish Three Dog had the second part of "Butcher Pete", without the GNR enhanced mod from Nexus (which doesn't play the parts together).

Would have been nice to be able to reunite Christine Royce & Veronica Santangelo.

I got it on PS4. So far, I'm underwhelmed. It's not that the game is bad, it's just so... safe? It's like Bethesda looked at their last few hit games and went "let's just do all that again and not really change anything." The formula is good, it works, it's immersive and all. But it feels kind of stale in 2015. Go to the marker, talk to the guy, get the quest, do the thing, and all of it is presented in the same style and tone as Fallout 3. It feels more like an expansion pack with some aesthetic updates than a sequel, while Fallout 3 was a dramatic leap forward from Fallout 2. I know I'm gonna enjoy the game, I just wished they took a few more risks... any, really.

A large part of what made the original Fallout games unique had to do with game design and game mechanics, innovations which are now standard in many games. Unfortunately, Bethesda has a certain formula to their game mechanics that they do not stray from (strictly single player RPG with no party members), and I do not care for that playstyle.

Another thing that makes Fallout interesting are the themes (discussed in the video I posted), but to be honest, those themes have not changed much since the initial game. The only thing that seems to change is which specific sociopolitical conventions that the designers choose to mock, but the overall "human beings are dicks" theme combined with pitch black humor remains unchanged.

- - - Updated - - -

As I mentioned, I haven't really played the newer games. Has the New California Republic really expanded as far as Las Vegas? What about DC? I can't imagine that they expanded that much.

As I mentioned, I haven't really played the newer games. Has the New California Republic really expanded as far as Las Vegas? What about DC? I can't imagine that they expanded that much.

No, there's no NCR in D.C. (aka Capital Wasteland). In FNV, they're not in New Vegas as such, but they do have access to the Strip, and they hold pockets of territory in the region, notably Hoover Dam and McCarran Airport.

Fallout 3 was a massive disappointment for me mostly. New Vegas though? I enjoyed that one a ton. It roughly followed the Van Buren storyline that Black Isle had laid out prior to them closing their doors. Since Obsidian was populated mostly by ex-Black Isle developers, they kept the vision for New Vegas and it was a great one. It's worth checking out if you enjoyed the first two games like I did. You can probably pass on Fallout 3. I've always felt the Fallout series was ultimately a story about the West. DC and Boston are odd settings and hard for me to reconcile with the Fallout universe. I'll probably pickup 4 at some point, if it goes on sale during the steam winter sale and once the bugs are worked out. I feel like I'm going to enjoy it less than New Vegas already though.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom