• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Atheism

steve_bank

Diabetic retinopathy and poor eyesight. Typos ...
Basic Beliefs
secular-skeptic
I am sure there are many categories and definitions of atheism depending on the times and the authors.

Fr me I reject deities of any kind. It is not for me to prove a god does not exiist, it is for theists to prove their claim.

A . What’s a god?

This is very difficult to answer. However, a reasonable account is that to be a god one must satisfy the following:

· Have significant supernatural powers

· Not be classifiable as merely human, vegetable or mineral

· Have some kind of mental life

B. Theism vs. Atheism

Theism is the view that at least one god exists. Hence, polytheism is a form of theism.

More narrowly, in western philosophy:

1. Theism: acceptance of the traditional orthodox god of revelation who is especially concerned with us and intervenes in human affairs, a view held by most Christian philosophers

2. Deism: rejection of revelation and acceptance of a god who is a person but may or may not be especially concerned with us. Popular with some enlightenment scientists and philosophers

3. Pantheism: typically, nature is divine and not a person, a view held by Spinoza and Einstein. Note that pantheism does not qualify as theism according to the previous account of god.

Atheism is the rejection of theism; hence, an atheist is one without a belief in any god.

There are three types of atheists:

1. No-concept atheist: one who does not have the notion of god or has never thought about god’s existence.

2. Agnostic: one who neither believes nor disbelieves the existence of any god because one thinks that we don’t know whether there is at least one god or not

Note: one might be an agnostic on various grounds. For example, one might believe that there are no good reason to believe in any god, or that there are equally strong reasons for the existence and the non-existence of a god.

3. Positive atheist: one who believes that no god exists

Note: one may be a positive atheist because one thinks that we know that no god exists, or because one thinks that we have sufficient evidence for concluding that there is no god as the burden of evidence is on theist who, however, fails to provide sufficient ground for his position.

Note that these types of atheism are incompatible; for example, one may not be both an agnostic and a positive atheist

Broadly, sometimes an atheist is taken to be someone who denies the existence of some god. In this sense, one might be a positive atheist with respect to some god, e.g., Christ, a negative atheist with respect to some other god, e.g., Baal, and an agnostic with respect to another, e.g., Zeus. So, Roman polytheists considered Christians atheists because Christians denied the existence of all gods but theirs. In fact, as there are, or have been, thousands of gods a theist is likely to be an atheist, in this sense, with respect to most of them.

(Typo fixed by moderator for clarity)

Last edited by a moderator:

Atheism, in the broadest sense, is an absence of belief in the existence of deities. Less broadly, atheism is a rejection of the belief that any deities exist. In an even narrower sense, atheism is specifically the position that there are no deities. Atheism is contrasted with theism, which in its most general form is the belief that at least one deity exists.

Historically, evidence of atheistic viewpoints can be traced back to classical antiquity and early Indian religions. In the Western world, atheism declined as Christianity gained prominence. The 16th century and the Age of Enlightenment marked the resurgence of atheistic thought in Europe. The French Revolution witnessed the first significant political movement to advocate for the supremacy of human reason. Since conceptions of atheism vary, accurate estimations of current numbers of atheists are difficult. According to the estimates there is at least 500 million atheists in the world[1].

Arguments for atheism range from philosophical to social and historical approaches. Rationales for not believing in deities include the lack of evidence,[2][3] the problem of evil, the argument from inconsistent revelations, the rejection of concepts that cannot be falsified, and the argument from nonbelief.[2][4] Nonbelievers contend that atheism is a more parsimonious position than theism and that everyone is born without beliefs in deities;[5] therefore, they argue that the burden of proof lies not on the atheist to disprove the existence of gods but on the theist to provide a rationale for theism.[6] Although some atheists have adopted secular philosophies (e.g. secular humanism),[7][8] there is no ideology or code of conduct to which all atheists adhere.[9]
Definition

Atheism is commonly defined as the absence of belief that any deities exist. Implicit atheism is "the absence of theistic belief without a conscious rejection of it" and explicit atheism is the conscious rejection of belief. Positive atheism is the explicit affirmation that gods do not exist. Negative atheism includes all other forms of non-theism. According to this categorization, anyone who is not a theist is either a negative or a positive atheist.
Implicit vs. explicit
Main article: Implicit and explicit atheism
A diagram showing the relationship between the definitions of weak/strong and implicit/explicit atheism.
Explicit strong/positive/hard atheists (in purple on the right) assert that "at least one deity exists" is a false statement.
Explicit weak/negative/soft atheists (in blue on the right) reject or eschew belief that any deities exist without actually asserting that "at least one deity exists" is a false statement.
Implicit weak/negative atheists (in blue on the left), according to authors such as George H. Smith, would include people (such as young children and some agnostics) who do not believe in a deity but have not explicitly rejected such belief.
(Sizes in the diagram are not meant to indicate relative sizes within a population.)

Some of the ambiguity involved in defining atheism arises from the definitions of words like deity and god. The variety of wildly different conceptions of God and deities lead to differing ideas regarding atheism's applicability. The ancient Romans accused Christians of being atheists for not worshiping the pagan deities. Gradually, this view fell into disfavor as theism came to be understood as encompassing belief in any divinity.[10] With respect to the range of phenomena being rejected, atheism may counter anything from the existence of a deity, to the existence of any spiritual, supernatural, or transcendental concepts.[11] Definitions of atheism also vary in the degree of consideration a person must put to the idea of gods to be considered an atheist. Atheism is commonly defined as the absence of belief that any deities exist. This broad definition would include newborns and other people who have not been exposed to theistic ideas. As far back as 1772, Baron d'Holbach said that "All children are born Atheists; they have no idea of God."[12] Similarly, George H. Smith suggested that: "The man who is unacquainted with theism is an atheist because he does not believe in a god. This category would also include the child with the conceptual capacity to grasp the issues involved, but who is still unaware of those issues. The fact that this child does not believe in god qualifies him as an atheist."[13]

Implicit atheism is "the absence of theistic belief without a conscious rejection of it" and explicit atheism is the conscious rejection of belief. It is usual to define atheism in terms of an explicit stance against theism.[14][15][16]

For the purposes of his paper on "philosophical atheism", Ernest Nagel contested including the mere absence of theistic belief as a type of atheism.[17] Graham Oppy classifies as innocents those who never considered the question because they lack any understanding of what a god is, for example one-month-old babies.[18]
Positive vs. negative
Main article: Negative and positive atheism

Philosophers such as Antony Flew[19] and Michael Martin[10] have contrasted positive (strong/hard) atheism with negative (weak/soft) atheism. Positive atheism is the explicit affirmation that gods do not exist. Negative atheism includes all other forms of non-theism. According to this categorization, anyone who is not a theist is either a negative or a positive atheist.

Michale Martin, for example, asserts that agnosticism entails negative atheism.[20][21] Agnostic atheism encompasses both atheism and agnosticism.[22] However, many agnostics see their view as distinct from atheism[23][24][23] According to atheists' arguments, unproven religious propositions deserve as much disbelief as all other unproven propositions,[25]. Atheist criticism of agnosticism says that the unprovability of a god's existence does not imply an equal probability of either possibility.[26] Australian philosopher J.J.C. Smart argues that "sometimes a person who is really an atheist may describe herself, even passionately, as an agnostic because of unreasonable generalized philosophical skepticism which would preclude us from saying that we know anything whatever, except perhaps the truths of mathematics and formal logic."[27] Consequently, some atheist authors, such as Richard Dawkins, prefer distinguishing theist, agnostic, and atheist positions along a spectrum of theistic probability—the likelihood that each assigns to the statement "God exists".[28]

Before the 18th century, the existence of God was so accepted in the Western world that even the possibility of true atheism was questioned. This is called theistic innatism—the notion that all people believe in God from birth; within this view was the connotation that atheists are in denial.[29] Some atheists have challenged the need for the term "atheism". In his book Letter to a Christian Nation, Sam Harris wrote:

In fact, "atheism" is a term that should not even exist. No one ever needs to identify himself as a "non-astrologer" or a "non-alchemist". We do not have words for people who doubt that Elvis is still alive or that aliens have traversed the galaxy only to molest ranchers and their cattle. Atheism is nothing more than the noises reasonable people make in the presence of unjustified religious beliefs.[30]

I agree with the last paragraph.

Theists create th dichotomy and we can fall into a sort of trap that serves to reniforce theisim.

I don't care who knows I'm an atheist, but I never put it out there as a Look At Me. It's just common sense; I think it should be as natural as knowing that chocolate tastes good or dogs are wonderful. But, dammmmn, is it ever a loaded word in many social circles and many parts of the U.S. Most peope who know me beyond acquaintance level have figured out where I am -- often from the jokes I think are funny (or, more likely, from the anti-Christmas cards I send every December), which is maybe the nicest way of declaring oneself. I have no idea how many of them have a strong averse reaction to atheism, and it wouldn't matter if I did. I am way beyond going along with boilerplate religion to fit in. A few years ago I started a thread here on the topic 'How open are you about your atheism?' and one respondent -- who was maybe a college student or a 20-something professional, said he thought the question was unnecessary, as, in his circle, atheism was normal and even expected. That's the kind of community I'd like to be part of.

one respondent -- who was maybe a college student or a 20-something professional, said he thought the question was unnecessary, as, in his circle, atheism was normal and even expected. That's the kind of community I'd like to be part of.
That's pretty much the situation in almost all of the EU and UK; There are little rural enclaves where religiosity is expected, and a few recent additions to the EU (Poland, for example) have a general expectation of religiosity.

In Europe and Australasia, publicly discussing religion, and engaging in evangelical behaviour (such as inviting new acquaintances to church, or littering public spaces with religious pamphlets) are generally considered antisocial, rude and crass.

Nobody's unaware of the existence of religions. If they don't join, it's not because they don't know that's an option.

I agree with your respondent - I am (as my posting history shows) highly opinionated about my atheism, and I think that religion is incredibly stupid and that it does far more harm than good. But I live in an environment where nobody expects me (or anyone else) to be religious, so this isn't something I need to talk about - the subject very rarely comes up.

For me it was simple. Knowing the capacity of human imagination and gullibility religious experiences are all in the head.

There is no other evidence other than subjective feelings and interpreat ion of events.

To me there is nothing more to it.

You seem to have a misprint in your OP:
Fr me I reject deities of any kind. It is not for me to prove a god does not exiist, it is for atheists to prove their claim.
The word I have bolded should be theists.

(typo fixed by moderator)

Last edited by a moderator:
You seem to have a misprint in your OP:
Fr me I reject deities of any kind. It is not for me to prove a god does not exiist, it is for atheists to prove their claim.
The word I have bolded should be theists.
I see. Thank you very, very much. I shall endeavor to do better.

BTW, do you actually have anything to say about atheism? Humanism does not say anyting.

"Atheism" always ends up imitating "theism", from the best to the worst of it. We are all, at the end of the day, raised in the same common culture as our neighbors regardless of faction, and factional or philosophical experiences can only impact our worldview to a certain extent.

It is more like all human social groups tend to the same group behavior.

Sports, politics, unions, political parties. Peer social groups.

Given a general commonality of group behavior, atheism is not theism.

For me it was simple. Knowing the capacity of human imagination and gullibility religious experiences are all in the head.

There is no other evidence other than subjective feelings and interpreat ion of events.

To me there is nothing more to it.
Yes. This is why I nibble around the edges.

Curiosity gets the better of me so I ask if people believe in afterlives, what kind of afterlives, heavens and hells, ghosts, etc., try to get past the assumptions and prejudices. I am 100% convinced that even people who say they believe in a heavenly reward and a bible type god are only stating so because it feels good, it's how they fit in. It's my view that if they really believed they wouldn't be engaged in such mundane things as daily life brings. Either that or they just don't have very high expectations.

Think about it. I know there's a god, an afterlife where I will be infinitely happy, but I still take the time to have the oil changed in my car. Sorry, that doesn't make any sense to me. Do billionaires do their own laundry, wash and put away the dishes, shop for eggs?

Does atheist qualify as a religious belief?

I use the word atheist in posts because it is easier to do so.

My position is better defined as secular skeptic as in my profile. I can be as skeptical of some aspects of science as I do with religion, and of organized atheist ideologies as well. For example atheists who claim to be bale to scientifically or logically prove a god can not exist.

I am thinking now my use of the word atheist might be a bit disingenuous. I came to reject both atheism and theism over my time on the forum.

If you ask me about secular views I will say naturalism and freethought.

Naturalism, by dentition anything that exists is natural, there cane be no supernatural. Freethought, try to look at issues without looking through an ideology. In that context both atheism and theism are ideologies when looking at claims of the supernatural.

secular
denoting attitudes, activities, or other things that have no religious or spiritual basis.
"secular buildings"
skeptic
a person inclined to question or doubt accepted opinions.
"this argument failed to convince the skeptics"

From the atheism link.

In fact, "atheism" is a term that should not even exist. No one ever needs to identify himself as a "non-astrologer" or a "non-alchemist". We do not have words for people who doubt that Elvis is still alive or that aliens have traversed the galaxy only to molest ranchers and their cattle. Atheism is nothing more than the noises reasonable people make in the presence of unjustified religious beliefs.[30]

I use the word atheist in posts because it is easier to do so.

I am thinking now my use of the word atheist might be a bit disingenuous. I came to reject both atheism and theism over my time on the forum.
I don't think it's disingenuous so much as often misconstrued. Many people seem to misinterpret atheist as "hard, even antitheist, atheist".

Personally, that doesn't describe me. I've come to describe myself as non theist instead. That's due to my firm conviction that religions are fiction. What people generally mean by God is a character type in literature, mostly scriptures. That's not what I mean.
So I just substitute non theist or hard agnostic near always.
Tom

We missed it! Many Christians were claiming the rapture was due September 23. Nothing seems to have happen around my neighborhood.

We missed it! Many Christians were claiming the rapture was due September 23. Nothing seems to have happen around my neighborhood.
Clearly a sign. You need to go into one of the many translations of bibles and flesh that out.
Does atheist qualify as a religious belief?
If there are no trees in your back yard does that qualify as a dendrological belief? Do you think there are any dendrologists around willing to argue that there might be some magical, invisible trees in your back yard? Does dendrology have a word to describe people who don't hold that there are invisible trees in your back yard?

"Atheist" is certainly a religious word but it only comes about because there are people around claiming to have invisible, magical trees with super powers in their yards. It is pretty weird from a rational perspective given our present knowledge and is clearly an emotional legacy of our evolutionary past.

Back
Top Bottom