• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Atheist funereal poems

DrZoidberg

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
I'm looking for a poem to read at my sisters funeral on Saturday. It's not so much a thing about atheism as I want it to feel like it's from the heart. My entire extended family are atheists, including my sister. So it would feel weird to mention anything supernatural in it. Nobody in that room will think that my sister is in a better place.

Doesn't necessarily have to be about death. Can be a poem about remembrance. Or just a beautiful poem that's appropriate.

The poem by W. H. Auden that they use in 4 Weddings and a Funeral expresses grief and loss very well but is really more about the loss of a lover. You could select bits or modify it.

Stop all the clocks, cut off the telephone,
Prevent the dog from barking with a juicy bone,
Silence the pianos and with muffled drum
Bring out the coffin, let the mourners come.

Let aeroplanes circle moaning overhead
Scribbling on the sky the message He Is Dead,
Put crepe bows round the white necks of the public doves,
Let the traffic policemen wear black cotton gloves.

He was my North, my South, my East and West,
My working week and my Sunday rest,
My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;
I thought that love would last for ever: I was wrong.

The stars are not wanted now: put out every one;
Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun;
Pour away the ocean and sweep up the wood.
For nothing now can ever come to any good.

My own all time favourite poem might do the trick

Lodged

“The rain to the wind said,
You push and I'll pelt.'
They so smote the garden bed
That the flowers actually knelt,
And lay lodged--though not dead.
I know how the flowers felt.”

― Robert Frost

I'm really sorry to hear about your sister, DrZ. :huggs:

There are others here who have an extensive knowledge of literature (though it will probably mostly be English). Together we will find you something appropriate.

If you want it to be from the heart you might need to write out your own grief.

Well, I came upon your post too late, but this is a fragment of a poem by Henry Van Dyke that was read, I thought, to beautiful effect at the funeral of Lady Di, by one of her sisters.
Time is too slow for those who wait,
Too swift for those who fear,
Too long for those who grieve,
Too short for those who rejoice,
But for those who love, time is Eternal.

Thanks for all your help guys. But I didn't find a poem I thought suited. So I wrote this:

"A vibrant energy is now missing. A Jenny shaped hole in our universe. It will be lonely without you, without my big sister.

You live in our memories now. In my mind I conjure up your image, see you speak, hear your words. You are still with me when I write, when I’m writing this. I can hear you now telling me to shorten it. Get to the point. Cut the boring bits. You were always very good at giving me just the feedback I needed when I needed it.

We share this passion, you and me. We both love writing. We often shared what we’d written. When we could we would write together, side-by-side. Those were my favourite moments with you.

When you leaned back and cleared your throat I knew you were ready to share what you’d written. Some days you would tell me not to be critical, only tell you to say what I liked about it. Because some days you were too sensitive for criticism. Some days you are still sensitive, Jenny in my mind.

You were an amazing listener. Generous with your time and your soul. So giving, always present, absorbing whatever I shared as if it was the most important thing in the world. Sorry… still a good listener. Jenny in my mind.

I love you sister Jenny. I will forever be grateful for the time you gave me."

Today was the funeral and it was incredibly dignified and warm. The best possible farewell.

Thanks for all your help guys. But I didn't find a poem I thought suited. So I wrote this:

"A vibrant energy is now missing. A Jenny shaped hole in our universe. It will be lonely without you, without my big sister.

You live in our memories now. In my mind I conjure up your image, see you speak, hear your words. You are still with me when I write, when I’m writing this. I can hear you now telling me to shorten it. Get to the point. Cut the boring bits. You were always very good at giving me just the feedback I needed when I needed it.

We share this passion, you and me. We both love writing. We often shared what we’d written. When we could we would write together, side-by-side. Those were my favourite moments with you.

When you leaned back and cleared your throat I knew you were ready to share what you’d written. Some days you would tell me not to be critical, only tell you to say what I liked about it. Because some days you were too sensitive for criticism. Some days you are still sensitive, Jenny in my mind.

You were an amazing listener. Generous with your time and your soul. So giving, always present, absorbing whatever I shared as if it was the most important thing in the world. Sorry… still a good listener. Jenny in my mind.

I love you sister Jenny. I will forever be grateful for the time you gave me."

Today was the funeral and it was incredibly dignified and warm. The best possible farewell.

That was the best solution. You said what you needed to say.

I thought I'd add this. Found it while researching. Suggestions for an atheist funeral. I think it's great to use as a template. My sisters funeral was 100% atheist. It was held in a church. But led by a neighbour in the village. Just a nice person not close to the family, who could speak without continously crying.

http://ffrf.org/outreach/secular-funerals

I thought I'd add this. Found it while researching. Suggestions for an atheist funeral. I think it's great to use as a template. My sisters funeral was 100% atheist. It was held in a church. But led by a neighbour in the village. Just a nice person not close to the family, who could speak without continously crying.

http://ffrf.org/outreach/secular-funerals

That's a very real need sometimes and it lets the loved ones grieve without having to present.

Back
Top Bottom