• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Atheists Define "God," Once Again

... many atheists are unable to define what it is they disbelieve.
Bald-faced lie, after many atheists have defined for you what it is they disbelieve.

Atheists disbelieve ALL gods so you guys have a LOT of work to do. I only have one God to define. You have thousands to define. Better get cracking. Time is short.
This part's funny, because even though you say you only have one god to define, you still can't manage to do that.

Also, if you don't believe in ALL of the other gods, the same as atheists, you still have a lot of work to do as well, according to your own (dumb) argument. You're not very good at this whole thinking thing, are you?

(Explains why you make such a good catholic, I guess.)

Atheists disbelieve ALL gods so you guys have a LOT of work to do. I only have one God to define. You have thousands to define. Better get cracking. Time is short.

From my understanding Atheists have described all the various God's throughout human civilizations as one thing and that is non existent. That is not the same as having to describe multiple Gods. You, on the other hand have the burden of defining which God you believe in, because by your own actions here, you flaunt the limitations set down by Jesus, spoken directly to the apostles. Or does Matthew 10:14 have any meaning to you.

... many atheists are unable to define what it is they disbelieve.
Bald-faced lie, after many atheists have defined for you what it is they disbelieve.
Religions have come to condone purposeful lying in defense of their religion. In Islam it is called Taqiya. Christians call it "lying for Jesus".

From my understanding Atheists have described all the various God's throughout human civilizations as one thing and that is non existent. That is not the same as having to describe multiple Gods. You, on the other hand have the burden of defining which God you believe in, because by your own actions here, you flaunt the limitations set down by Jesus, spoken directly to the apostles. Or does Matthew 10:14 have any meaning to you.

Technically not 'non-existent', so much as 'fictional'. Fictional characters exist, but only in our imaginations and our stories.

Personally, I find superheroes much more entertaining than Gods; Both are fictional, but not only are Superhero stories less boring - they also describe characters who are far more moral.

Most superheroes will help out any ordinary person who is in distress or under attack from a supervillain - if you are falling from a tall building, and Superman happens along, he will save you - you need not first worship him, or tell him that he's the bestest, or show him that you have gone to a special building every week to literally sing his praises.

Gods are far more mercenary than superheroes - they demand something in return for even the empty promise of any help. They behave more like mobsters than like upstanding citizens, demanding respect they haven't earned, and threatening dire punishments to anyone who doesn't show them the deference and obeisance they demand.

Atheists disbelieve ALL gods so you guys have a LOT of work to do. I only have one God to define.

You are largely atheist because you have thousands of gods to disbelieve in, save all but one. So get crackin' little camper, tell us why you disbelieve in so many other gods.

Matthew 10:14 ?
Are you trying to derail a thread?
tsk tsk

Most superheroes will help out any ordinary person who is in distress or under attack from a supervillain - if you are falling from a tall building, and Superman happens along, he will save you - you need not first worship him, or tell him that he's the bestest, or show him that you have gone to a special building every week to literally sing his praises.

To be fair, though, Superman doesn't have as many demands on his time as God does. If God is busy fixing the results of high school football games so that the kids of the parents who pray the hardest receive a dose of performance enhancing prayer juice, that limits the amount of time he can spend saving people who are falling off of buildings.

It's just a question of priorities.

Doesn't God also deliver Christmas presents and organize tsunamis against wicked coastal towns? I mean, that's a life of service.

Doesn't God also deliver Christmas presents and organize tsunamis against wicked coastal towns? I mean, that's a life of service.

Not to mention that it would take at least a few hours every day to hear the confessions of Catholic priests who'd just raped another kid so that he can forgive them for the sin and have them reassigned to a third world orphanage where there's no oversight of their activities. Clark Kent's only outside work is to type up a couple hundred words to summarize what he did while flying around the city during the day, while God has thousands of full time jobs.

I thought it was Christopher Reeve.
It was; And it was George Reeves, with an 's'.

George Reeves was an American actor. He is best known for his role as Superman in the 1950s television program Adventures of Superman.

Apparently they are not related, the similarity of their surnames is purely coincidental. Both are American actors best known for their portrayals of Superman, though. Which is why it's important when you are told that someone believes in Superman, to find out exactly which Superman they believe in.

The same with God - is it Morgan Freeman, Graham Chapman, Whoopi Goldberg, Val Kilmer, Rob Zombie, Alanis Morrisette, or any of the dozens of other actors who have played that role? Or is our correspondent a fan of the characters from one of the dozens of books, and derisive of the various big and small screen adaptations? If so, which character, and from which book(s)?

Heretic!!!! George Burns is the only true god.

Back
Top Bottom