• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Atlanta officer stops knife-wielding man with only one shot

Look more carefully at the situation--the guy was not in a position to charge when he was hit. The officer had a little bit more time to evaluate things.

Note also that he instantly went down when hit--I rather suspect the shot was fatal anyway.

Look more carefully at the situation--the guy was not in a position to charge when he was hit. The officer had a little bit more time to evaluate things.

Note also that he instantly went down when hit--I rather suspect the shot was fatal anyway.
From the article :

Both the officer and suspect were taken to Grady Memorial Hospital and are in stable condition.
Read more at http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=55a_1409178263#RzY4Hwt1CE1A1455.99

Not so fatal, Loren.

I will be impressed when there is video showing police disarming someone without using a firearm, taser, smoke bomb, baton, weapon of any kind, etc.

That's a high standard to set. Even that woman in India got to use a sickle and a spade.

As the saying goes, if the only tool in your tool box is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

If we accept that sometimes police must use deadly force--and I think we all recognize that this is the reality, as deplorable as that is--I think we must put a lot more tools into the tool box, most of them absolutely not weapons.

I don't know about you but among my close family members, 8 have been victims of armed robbery, two of those in the same hostage situation that was resolved by multiple SWAT teams (and no deaths or injuries!) for a total of 4 separate incidents. In one case, one family member had shots fired at his head, in his own rural home, with his own gun.

Two different close family members, including one of my (adult) children found themselves with multiple police officers with firearms pointed in their faces. My kid had just been held up at work by an armed robber and had called the police and then the two employees locked themselves in the bathroom and told 911 they were in the bathroom so in the space of less than 15 minutes, my kids' life was threatened TWICE, once by the police. In my kids' estimation, there was much more to fear from the police than from the robber who seemed to not really want to shoot anybody. Unlike the police. In the other incident, a family member walked out of a shoe repair shop to find himself thrown up against the wall, with multiple officers' weapons drawn on him at very close proximity: it appears he somewhat resembled a suspect in the shooting of a police officer.

I grew up in a family of hunters. My grandfather, uncles and father were all marksmen who won many shooting competitions and kept the family's freezers well stocked with game. As a kid, I used to go out with them until I decided I just didn't like killing animals. Two of my cousins were snipers in Viet Nam. I grew up with a healthy respect for firearms. Respect for firearms was the norm.

Today, that respect seems to be replaced with paranoid delusions and hubris, and enormous amounts of fear.

Back
Top Bottom