• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Austria plans compulsory Covid vaccinations for all

I want better vaccines and that makes me antivax?
It does if you're refusing what is available and capable of reaching herd immunity for everyone's benefit, and continuing to spread C19 until a vaccine you deem "better" comes along.
Tom
Pretty sure he has stated previously that he is fully vaxxed - looking for additional routes for the rest of the population.
I guess my post sounded more personal than I intended.
I'm surrounded by antivaxxers. I get more than a little testy with vague "But what if it is..." B.S. That kind of nonsense.
Tom

I hear you on that. My county *just* topped 50% vaxxed.

So a conservative government in a country that embraced Nazis institutes a covid vaccination mandate. Why is this noteworthy?
If you don't find it noteworthy, why did you come into the thread and post a response? I think it's a disturbing, authoritarian development and is a degradation of the civil liberties of Austria's people, and is another worrying development in State violence in the name of Covid.

So a conservative government in a country that embraced Nazis institutes a covid vaccination mandate. Why is this noteworthy?
If you don't find it noteworthy, why did you come into the thread and post a response?
Probably for the same readon you felt the need to post it.
Metaphor said
I think it's a disturbing, authoritarian development and is a degradation of the civil liberties of Austria's people.

Given their historical lackadaisical attitude towards civil liberties, it is not surprising that they apparently disagree. More importantly, I didn’t know infecting others with a communicable fisease was a fundamental civil liberty that cannot be briached.

I hear you on that. My county *just* topped 50% vaxxed.
What can I say?
I live in Trumpistan, Indiana. I live in a low vaccination rate area of a low vaccination rate state. I get frustrated.

It's like the people who are sure that there's plenty of evidence for Jesus's Resurrection. But speciation through natural selection hasn't really reached their standards for evidence.
Tom

If you don't find it noteworthy, why did you come into the thread and post a response?
I posted it because it's a disturbing development. But you don't think it's a disturbing development. So the reasons cannot possibly be the same.

Metaphor
I think it's a disturbing, authoritarian development and is a degradation of the civil liberties of Austria's people.
Given their historical lackadaisical attitude towards civil liberties, it is not surprising that they apparently disagree. More importantly, I didn’t know infecting others with a communicable fisease was a fundamental civil liberty that cannot be briached.
I think you'll find that the individuals that comprised the Austrian government in the 1930s are dead - unless you think a country's character and spirit cannot move on after nearly a century?

The freedom to 'infect others with a communicable disease' is not a civil liberty. The freedom to not have your government force a medical procedure on her adult citizens is--or, at least, should be.

The freedom to 'infect others with a communicable disease' is not a civil liberty. The freedom to not have your government force a medical procedure
Here in the modern world more and more freedoms come into conflict with other freedoms. That's why governments have to decide which freedoms to prioritize. You can't have everything.

This is a huge part of the reason that I get so angry with irrational antivaxxers! They are who is infringing on our freedoms, and causing huge threats to even more freedoms. They are forcing governments to take control. And governments don't give up that power easily.

Antivaxxers are who are the threat to personal freedom. Not us sensible folks.
Tom

Here in the modern world more and more freedoms come into conflict with other freedoms. That's why governments have to decide which freedoms to prioritize. You can't have everything.

This is a huge part of the reason that I get so angry with irrational antivaxxers! They are who is infringing on our freedoms, and causing huge threats to even more freedoms. They are forcing governments to take control. And governments don't give up that power easily.

Antivaxxers are who are the threat to personal freedom. Not us sensible folks.
Tom
Governments who believe they have the right to force medical procedures on their populations--and the populace that supports it (if they do - I don't know if a majority of Austrians support it)--are the problem.

But honestly, I'm not surprised that members of this board are either indifferent to this illiberal development or actively support it. The final stop on this journey might be forcible injection of adults with the vaccine. One year ago, I'd have called that scenario unthinkable. Now, it is literally the only violation left to formulate.

Governments who believe they have the right to force medical procedures on their populations--and the populace that supports it--are the problem.

To what problem are you referring? The devastating impact C19 has on the economy? Social interactions? What problem are you referring to, exactly?

Do you think that arresting and prosecuting alcohol impaired drivers is a problem? If not, why not? It's an infringement on our freedoms and rights.
Tom

I posted it because it's a disturbing development. But you don't think it's a disturbing development. So the reasons cannot possibly be the same.
You felt the need to express your opinion on this action, as did I. So, once again, you are mistaken.
Metaphor
I think you'll find that the individuals that comprised the Austrian government in the 1930s are dead - unless you think a country's character and spirit cannot move on after nearly a century?

The freedom to 'infect others with a communicable disease' is not a civil liberty. The freedom to not have your government force a medical procedure on her adult citizens is--or, at least, should be.
In this situation, I suspect the Austrian government came to the conclusion that mandatory vaccination is a better outcome than upholding your view of a civil liberty.

It is entirely possible that the Austrian government has a better understanding of their situation and their citizenry's view of these matters and applied a rule of reason instead of a some kneejerk principle.

To what problem are you referring? The devastating impact C19 has on the economy? Social interactions? What problem are you referring to, exactly?
The problem of governments mandating medical procedures on their adult citizens.

Do you think that arresting and prosecuting alcohol impaired drivers is a problem? If not, why not? It's an infringement on our freedoms and rights.
Tom

What a strange idea - that preventing somebody from driving while drunk is equivalent to or analogous to forcing medical procedures on people.

You felt the need to express your opinion on this action, as did I. So, once again, you are mistaken.
No: you felt your need to express your opinion on my OP.
In this situation, I suspect the Austrian government came to the conclusion that mandatory vaccination is a better outcome than upholding your view of a civil liberty.
You don't say.
It is entirely possible that the Austrian government has a better understanding of their situation and their citizenry's view of these matters and applied a rule of reason instead of a some kneejerk principle.
It is entirely possible that the Austrian government (and governments all over the world) has been gripped by the same fever that swept the US after 9/11 and resulted in the Patriot Act. The Patriot Act, if my memory serves me correctly, was widely condemned by the left back then, for its valuing of safety over liberty.

"Principled" used to be laudatory. Now it's a pejorative. Times really have changed.

The problem of governments mandating medical procedures on their adult citizens.
What about the problems caused by letting people run amok, spreading disease? Damaging the economy, our social lives, our health care system...

What about that? Why is trashing my concerns "freedom", but requiring people to get a couple of damn shots is an infringement on their dumbass "freedom"?

They do have another option. Stay home. Don't leave your safe place.
Apparently, Austria doesn't trust their citizens to maintain order and be responsible with their freedom. Here in the USA things aren't any better.
Tom

No: you felt your need to express your opinion on my OP.
You are a terrible mind-reader. You are mistaken.
You don't say.
It is entirely possible that the Austrian government (and governments all over the world) has been gripped by the same fever that swept the US after 9/11 and resulted in the Patriot Act. The Patriot Act, if my memory serves me correctly, was widely condemned by the left back then, for its valuing of safety over liberty.
And you feel this "whataboutism" is relevant because .......?
"Principled" used to be laudatory. Now it's a pejorative. Times really have changed.
No one used the term "Principled" as a pejorative, so what do you think you are responding to?

What about the problems caused by letting people run amok, spreading disease? Damaging the economy, our social lives, our health care system...
What about them? You appear to be under the impression that unvaccinated=diseased. It does not.
What about that? Why is trashing my concerns "freedom", but requiring people to get a couple of damn shots is an infringement on their dumbass "freedom"?
I can see this conversation is not going to be productive if you think forcing a medical procedure on an adult is a 'dumbass' freedom.
They do have another option. Stay home. Don't leave your safe place.
Austrians don't have even that option. It's 'you are not even allowed to stay at home, you must get vaxxed'.
Apparently, Austria doesn't trust their citizens to maintain order and be responsible with their freedom. Here in the USA things aren't any better.
Tom
Even the article Guardian acknowledged that mandatory vaccinations was previously unthinkable. It seems not only is it now thinkable, if the responses on this board are anything to go by, it is unremarkable and even a good idea.

I didn't read your mind. I observed your actions.
I don't feel a whataboutism is relevant. I think that this wholesale embrace of government authoritarianism is a predictable response in times of crisis. Back then, it was about terrorism. This time, it's about COVID.
No one used the term "Principled" as a pejorative, so what do you think you are responding to?
I'm responding to you, when you called implementing a principle "kneejerk".

I didn't read your mind. I observed your actions.
The only way to know intent is to read minds. You came to the wrong conclusion.
I don't feel a whataboutism is relevant. I think that this wholesale embrace of government authoritarianism is a predictable response in times of crisis.
If you don't think a whataboutism is relevant, then why bring one up?
I'm responding to you, when you called implementing a principle "kneejerk".
Your response is based on a straw man driven by a combination of a lack of reading comprehension and reasoning. People of principle are perfectly capable of apply the principle of "the rule of reason:" to their ethics or principles thereby eschewing kneejerk defenses of a misplaced application of a principle.

Yet you made the claim we had the same intent in writing on this thread in post #30. Or are you retracting that claim?
I didn't.
Your response is based on a straw man driven by a combination of a lack of reading comprehension and reasoning. People of principle are perfectly capable of apply the principle of "the rule of reason:" to their ethics or principles thereby eschewing kneejerk defenses of a misplaced application of a principle.
I have never heard of "the rule of reason", and when I google it, I get information about US antitrust law. I don't think that's what you meant, so I assume this is language you have invented in this post, and you expected me to comprehend the meaning without explanation. I don't think that's fair.

Do you think it is reasonable for the Austrian government to fine (and possibly imprison) its citizens for not getting a Covid vaccine?

Yet you made the claim we had the same intent in writing on this thread in post #30. Or are you retracting that claim?
I didn't.
Of course you did - you brought up the Patriot Act and the left's response to it. Really, if you are not going to pay attention to your own content, why should anyone else?
I have never heard of "the rule of reason", and when I google it, I get information about US antitrust law. I don't think that's what you meant, so I assume this is language you have invented in this post, and you expected me to comprehend the meaning without explanation. I don't think that's fair.
I find it out that you feel expecting people to understand the English language is unfair. While the "rule of reason" has a specific application and history to US antitrust law, it is also a general principle that means rules or principles are subject to the use of reason depending on the facts of the situation.
Do you think it is reasonable for the Austrian government to fine (and possibly imprison) its citizens for not getting a Covid vaccine?
I think it is reasonable for any gov't to enforce a legal mandate in a reasonable and rational manner. I would expect the enforcement mechanism in this case is a forced vaccination.

Of course you did - you brought up the Patriot Act and the left's response to it. Really, if you are not going to pay attention to your own content, why should anyone else?
Yes, I brought up the Patriot Act. No, it wasn't a 'whataboutism'. It was to illustrate that people accept authoritarian actions because of their fear.
it is also a general principle that means rules or principles are subject to the use of reason depending on the facts of the situation.
I've never heard it used like that, or even heard the phrase at all before today. Indeed, my further google searches uncovers only its use as a test of antitrust law. So yes, I do feel it is unfair of you to expect me to understand a phrase that you either made up with a definition peculiar to you, or is not in common use in the US or anywhere else in the English-speaking world, and that you mock me for failing to understand.
I think it is reasonable for any gov't to enforce a legal mandate in a reasonable and rational manner. I would expect the enforcement mechanism in this case is a forced vaccination.
That does seem to me to be the next logical step: physically enforced vaccinations. I'm alarmed, however, that for some people, the ease with which this idea has gone from unthinkable to desirable.

Back
Top Bottom