• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Ben Carson: Archaeologists Are Wrong, The Pyramids Were Built To Store Grain

It just seems so unlikely to me that the same people who lost their shit when we had our first black president are going to elect the second black president next.

Not this fruitcake.

He is high in the polls today to be forgotten tomorrow.

But these Republicans, and Democrats too, run to make money, not because they have any ideas that are different.

I guess the idea of people burying their dead is somehow beyond Carson. Absolutely no archaeologist believes that the pyramids were grain elevators. Blame it on his belief in eternal life. We need grain, not resting places!

12227138_1055253034505159_7105151242493375708_n.jpg

Are you implying that Carson has high IQ? why?

One cannot be a brain surgeon be unintelligent. At least in that one narrow area. I should have articulated that more clearly.

Without telling a long story, I've been exposed at some length, more than than most, to doctors and the people around them. They're idolized and considered above reproach by the vast majority in the healthcare field. And from what I've observed (take that for what it's worth, which may not be much), this extends to the general population.

There is this idea that, "He's a doctor so he knows what he's talking about," which not only allows, but encourages physicians to, well, for lack of a better way to put it, believe their own bullshit.

Physicians are often arrogant assholes who don't need to make excuses for their behavior because everyone else will make excuses for them. And nowhere can this be illustrated more clearly than with Ben Carson. The guy's a fucking asshole. He may be a brain surgeon, but he is an insufferable, arrogant, egotistical prick who is allowed to be so simply because of his profession.

Put him in a working situation where he would have to co-exist with others as an equal and he'd be hated. Or, if he had the same personality he does now, but was an attorney, he would have never made it this far.

The point is that Ben Carson is being given an enormous pass simply because he's a doctor. And to be a doctor, one must possess a high intelligence in that area. What people don't understand is that intelligence is very general, amorphous thing. Therefore, the idea goes among many, that if one is smart enough to be a doctor, they must be smart in every other area too.

It's a logical and societal fallacy. Or in the case of Ben Carson, a gigantic Phallusy.

One cannot be a brain surgeon be unintelligent. At least in that one narrow area. I should have articulated that more clearly.

Without telling a long story, I've been exposed at some length, more than than most, to doctors and the people around them. They're idolized and considered above reproach by the vast majority in the healthcare field. And from what I've observed (take that for what it's worth, which may not be much), this extends to the general population.

There is this idea that, "He's a doctor so he knows what he's talking about," which not only allows, but encourages physicians to, well, for lack of a better way to put it, believe their own bullshit.
We teach them to be falsely confident in medical school and it was quite challenging when they would join our grant funding team to teach them that basic research has no guaranteed outcome and often came up a dead end. "How can research be done if we don't know the outcome?"

I, too, work among doctors. Some are genuinely intelligent about a lot of things, those who hold mutiple degrees.

Others are just doctor stupid. They only know doctor stuff. They're just as dumb or smart as the next person about things OTHER than their brand of medicine.

We give doctors a lot of respect because medical school is extremely difficult and it does take smarts to pass it and move onto residencies and fellowships.

However, even doctors have people who finish at the bottom of their class.

Case in point, I am involved in the planning of a series of conferences at my place of employment. When looking for a keynote speaker to address one of the conferences, I threw out some names. At least two of the doctors on the planning committee wrinkled their noses at one of them. When I asked what that was about, one replied, "He's not a very good doctor."

I think I would forego brain surgery with Dr. Carson. He seems a terrible boob to me. You can claim these guys are smart but maybe they aren't.

I think I would forego brain surgery with Dr. Carson. He seems a terrible boob to me. You can claim these guys are smart but maybe they aren't.

A person with just good intelligence that works very hard can get into medical school and even become a brain surgeon., which takes manual dexterity as well as the ability to work hard.

But this man clearly is highly ignorant.

He is lost in some religious delusion, a religious fundamentalist no different in that respect from the most insane Afghani Taliban member.

Ben Carson seems to me to be one of the most dangerous people one can encounter, a highly intelligent fool. Willfully ignorant and arrogantly intellectually uncurious.

With such a person, he can believe anything except facts. His success as a surgeon seems to indicate to many that he is intelligent, but his intelligence does not seem to extend outside of being a surgeon. He doesn't USE his intelligence.

Back
Top Bottom