• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Best music performances in a given genre

I have, long ago done some DJ work, back in Chicago during the 80's where the genre originated, mostly with Frankie Knuckles. I most definitely consider it an art, it requires good technical skill, great timing, and a deep understanding on music and rhythm. There is a lot that goes into it, and yes, quite a bit of it is mixing pre-made tracks. There's also lifting samples to use, combining different rhythms, special effects, and vocal tracks. Editing software may or may not be used. A DJ mix set is mostly done on the fly in front if an audience.

They give Academy awards for video editing. This is audio editing, except not (often) done over a long period of time but under pressure on stage. Some may not consider it music, but it is. It's creativity, eye hand coordination, a good ear, technical skill all rolled into one. I hate country/western, but I don't deny it's music. It's simply not to my taste. I also don't deny that a cover band playing a well known song is playing music. It may not be their own composition, but it's still playing music.

I know this guy. [YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gZleHokSos[/YOUTUBE]

If photography counts as art, then what that man is doing in that video counts as music.
I didnt say that this doesnt count as art.
I sincencerly do not see it as musical performance though.
(As most modern sampler/drummachine based music) they ste constructed, not performed.

And by that logic, photographers should not count as artists because they are not creating the images whole cloth like painters or sculptors do. They are therefore merely constructing/capturing images, but not making art.

As a child, I spent many years learning how to play the piano and bass clarinet. I honestly have no clue if I could do what DJs do, but I kind of rankle at conversations like this precisely because they sound like arguments people once had about photography.

? As I stated before: I do not say that this isnt art, just not the art of performing music.
This is the art to transform already existing music.
The essence of music is still to ”speak”, in real time,with an instrument. Human-to-human

Think if this was done with other materials, as theater recordings.
A DJ mixin recordings of actors, is he himself an actor?

This is Violet Maye Grohl, Dave Grohl's 12 year old daughter...

Chris Cornell playing "Nothing Compares to You"...

And by that logic, photographers should not count as artists because they are not creating the images whole cloth like painters or sculptors do. They are therefore merely constructing/capturing images, but not making art.

As a child, I spent many years learning how to play the piano and bass clarinet. I honestly have no clue if I could do what DJs do, but I kind of rankle at conversations like this precisely because they sound like arguments people once had about photography.

? As I stated before: I do not say that this isnt art, just not the art of performing music.
This is the art to transform already existing music.
The essence of music is still to ”speak”, in real time,with an instrument. Human-to-human

Think if this was done with other materials, as theater recordings.
A DJ mixin recordings of actors, is he himself an actor?

Yes, I already covered that, but the equivalent of "performance" in the visual arts is just "art."

So, you don't like the words that I used. Fine.

What language would you use to identify photographers as less than oil painters given the fact that they are capturing already-existing images?

No matter what answer you give, I don't think it's fair to say that photographers are less than painters or sculptors, but we can have that argument.

After we're done with that argument, we can get into the concept of readymade art, which will blur the lines even further.

But do carry on.

Back
Top Bottom