• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Biden administration announces partial student loan forgiveness

They (the Brandon administration) knew this was never going to fly.

Brandon, the lame duck president :rotfl:

President Biden spoke earlier today on this issue. From the New York Times,
“Let me begin by saying I know there’s millions of Americans — millions of Americans — in this country who feel disappointed and discouraged and even a little bit angry about the court’s decision today about student debt,” Biden says. “And I must admit I do, too.”

Biden is trying to make the case that he’s already helped people with lots of student debt. It’s not clear that the 16 million people who would have gotten relief under his plan — but now won’t — will be satisfied by that.

Biden talks about other steps to help student borrowers. His administration increased Pell Grants, especially for students whose parents make less than $60,000 a year. There’s still a student loan relief program for people who go into public service, like teachers, police officers, social workers and servicemembers.

Biden says that the loan forgiveness would have been “life-changing” for millions of Americans, allowing them to buy homes and start families.

Biden says the money for the student debt relief that the Supreme Court rejected was ready to go out the door, but blames Republicans for “snatching it away” from people.

Biden calls out Republican members of Congress who received thousands of dollars in P.P.P. loans that were later forgiven, but did not support his student debt plan. “The hypocrisy is stunning,” he said.

Republicans in Congress are “shamelessly” pushing to make former President Donald J. Trump’s tax cuts permanent, which would constitute “handouts to the wealthiest Americans,” Biden said. “It’s not about reducing the deficit. It’s not about fairness. It’s only about forgiving loans they have to pay.”
Something that he plans to make into a campaign issue. But will his campaign donors threaten to stop donating if he does so?
Biden says: “Today’s decision has closed one path. Now we’re going to pursue another.”

Biden says his administration will try to enact a different student debt relief program under a 1965 law, the Higher Education Act.

Biden says the Education Department won’t refer borrowers who don’t pay their student loan bills to credit agencies for 12 months, to give borrowers time to “get back up and running.”

Biden criticized the Supreme Court’s decision: “I think the court misinterpreted the Constitution.”
At least he's thinking of an alternative. Let's see if he gets anywhere with it. Will the Republicans litigate it to death? Will they play Calvinball yet again?

More from Biden Vows to Try Again on Student Loan Forgiveness: Supreme Court Live Updates - The New York Times
The administration took a step this fall that could make it easier for the most vulnerable student borrowers to clear their debts: through bankruptcy.
That was last fall.
Unlike credit card bills, medical bills and other consumer debts, student loans aren’t automatically wiped away in bankruptcy. Borrowers are required to file a separate lawsuit to try to do so. It’s stressful, costly and notoriously difficult to meet the strict legal tests to succeed, and most debtors don’t even try.

Under the new guidelines, debtors will complete an “attestation form,” which the government will use to help determine whether to recommend a discharge. If debtors meet certain requirements — including having expenses that exceed their income — government lawyers will recommend a full or partial discharge.
Instead of taking a hard line, like previous admins.

Fox News on Twitter: "Chief Justice Roberts calls out Democrats demonizing the Supreme Court opinions they don't like. (pic link)" / Twitter
With a picture of the Justice, the Fox News logo, and this text:
"It has become a disturbing feature of some recent opinions to criticize the decisions with which they disagree. • Chief Justice John Roberts
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "What’s actually disturbing ..." / Twitter
What’s actually disturbing is the feature of the Roberts Court to accept lavish gifts from billionaires, hide that fact, & then rule in their favor.

It would be an insult to democracy to respect this conduct. Legitimacy is not a birthright - it is earned. They are destroying it
Without even offering the Francis Bacon defense: sure I took those bribes, but I didn't let them influence me.

That is exactly what they are doing. For a few decades (ever since the Warren Court) the court tilted to the left. Even many Republican appointees tilted left on the Bench - think Souter or SDO'C. I guess it wasn't illegitimate to rule in favor of left-wing causes, but it is illegitimate to rule against them.
Rank hypocrisy!

Biden says that the loan forgiveness would have been “life-changing” for millions of Americans, allowing them to buy homes and start families.
Maybe, but that alone does not make it legal without a congressional authorization.
Biden says the money for the student debt relief that the Supreme Court rejected was ready to go out the door, but blames Republicans for “snatching it away” from people.
Maybe that money can now be used to pay down the deficit.
Biden calls out Republican members of Congress who received thousands of dollars in P.P.P. loans that were later forgiven, but did not support his student debt plan. “The hypocrisy is stunning,” he said.
What's stunning about that? PPP loans, and the mechanism for their forgiveness, were passed by Congress on a bipartisan basis. Hastily, with many bad provisions, but it is still something authorized by Congress. The $20k forgiveness is not.
Republicans in Congress are “shamelessly” pushing to make former President Donald J. Trump’s tax cuts permanent, which would constitute “handouts to the wealthiest Americans,” Biden said. “It’s not about reducing the deficit. It’s not about fairness. It’s only about forgiving loans they have to pay.”
Forgiving student debt is not about fairness. And $400G is not a trivial amount.
Two things can be wrong at the same time - the Trump tax cuts and Biden loan cancellation are both bad policies even as they are popular with the partisans on either side.
lpetrich himself said:
Something that he plans to make into a campaign issue. But will his campaign donors threaten to stop donating if he does so?
I doubt that will work. Sure, this stance is very popular with the base, but most people do not have student debt. Majority of people never went to college, and not even all of those who did accrued significant debt.
Biden says: “Today’s decision has closed one path. Now we’re going to pursue another.”
Biden says his administration will try to enact a different student debt relief program under a 1965 law, the Higher Education Act.
Anything to not seek Congressional authorization. Or just tell college graduates (who are better off financially than most) to pay their debts.
Biden says the Education Department won’t refer borrowers who don’t pay their student loan bills to credit agencies for 12 months, to give borrowers time to “get back up and running.”
Sigh. Again, most won't bother paying.
Biden criticized the Supreme Court’s decision: “I think the court misinterpreted the Constitution.”
I think SCOTUS got it right. And if SCOTUS had limited an equally far-reaching attempt by President Trump to rule by executive order, the Dems would be cheering instead of jeering.
lpetrich himself said:
At least he's thinking of an alternative. Let's see if he gets anywhere with it. Will the Republicans litigate it to death? Will they play Calvinball yet again?
What Biden is doing is more akin to Calvinball. Instead of pursuing a congressional action, as something like this is supposed to be done, he is coming up with all these schemes to cancel $400G of debt by presidential decree. That's not very democratic.

As a Black woman who had the audacity to attend college, I am disgusted that our country just enshrined racial inequity in higher education and economic immobility into law with this unelected & illegitimate SCOTUS’s ruling ending affirmative action. 1/
Wrong thread, but this just shows how dumb she is and why it was mistake to elect her to Congress.
Treating everybody equally as individuals should be the goal. Not the racist doctrine of "equity" where people are not treated as individuals but only as ciphers for racial categories. And justices are not "illegitimate" for disagreeing with LWNJs like her. Besides, them being unelected is in the COTUS. Does she not know that?
Make no mistake—this decision was *designed* to keep a generation of brilliant Black young people out of higher ed & positions of power.
If they are so "brilliant" they will get in without racial preferences. It is the mediocre black young people who demand to be admitted over better qualified white and Asian young people.
The young people whose great grandparents were enslaved are the young people who will be shackled by this decision.
More like "great-great-great-grandparents". How long should that be used as an excuse? And saying that people will be "shackled" because they will no longer get a benefit for being a certain race is very disgusting hyperbole.
lpetrich said:
A bit of a conspiracy theory, but I think that it shows how unwilling Americans are to talk about social class, even progressives like her.
I do not think she or the most of the contemporary Left is progressive. They are all about identity politics these days. The last holdout was probably Bernie, and even he caved by the 2020 campaign.
SL then quoted Justice Sonia Sotomayor's dissent in a screencap, without crediting her.
So she's a plagiarist besides.
Btw, Red Sonja's dissent shows why she needed to rely on her ethnicity to get into Princeton - or on SCOTUS. She is not very smart.

Maybe, but that alone does not make it legal without a congressional authorization.
According to the "major questions doctrine" that the court invented. I think that that is a dumb doctrine, because it's totally impractical for Congress to micromanage everything. If Congress has clearly delegated authority to do something, then one shouldn't second-guess that delegation of authority unless one has some good reason to, a reason stronger than major-questions bullshit.

Maybe that money can now be used to pay down the deficit.
A right-winger in favor of raising taxes. What a sight to see.

What's stunning about that? PPP loans, and the mechanism for their forgiveness, were passed by Congress on a bipartisan basis. Hastily, with many bad provisions, but it is still something authorized by Congress. The $20k forgiveness is not.
So Derec loves loan forgiveness when the loans are PPP loans. Maybe it's the sort of people whose loans get forgiven -- people who help themselves to PPP money.

[*]Income-Driven Repayment -- lower repayments for lower income
[*]Public Service Loan Forgiveness
Plans such as these are why the Biden plan (and even more so the complete forgiveness pushed by the Left) are a giveaway to the better-off. College graduates are, on average, more affluent than the average American, and if somebody goes to college and drops out or otherwise fails to make much money, the income-driven repayment limits their repayments until and unless they start making big bucks. I do not see why high-earners should get a forgiveness.

Yesterday, there was a woman who called into Dan Abrams' program on SiriusXM. Abrams wasn't there and there was a sub. Anyway, the woman went on how she deserved forgiveness. She went to Bard College for BA and MA degrees and is now a teacher. She accumulated $200k in student debt that she now thinks other people should pay off for her. Sorry, but she could have gotten her degrees at a state university for a fraction of the cost. Why should I, who attended a public university, pay for her choice to attend an expensive, fancy private college? Unfortunately, the substitute host did not drill her on her choice to attend an expensive private college and expectation that somebody else should pay.
About the first one,"The Biden administration has proposed a much more generous form of income-driven repayment — separate and apart from the debt-cancellation plan that the court disallowed — that could take effect soon, though legal challenges to this plan are possible as well."
I think that plan is too generous. Many middle class people will qualify under his plan which should not be the case.

I think politically it will backfire. It's a giveaway to those who are better-off and also those who already support the Democratic Party.

According to the "major questions doctrine" that the court invented. I think that that is a dumb doctrine, because it's totally impractical for Congress to micromanage everything. If Congress has clearly delegated authority to do something, then one shouldn't second-guess that delegation of authority unless one has some good reason to, a reason stronger than major-questions bullshit.
The HEROES act was never intended by Congress to apply to a broad cancellation like this. Even Biden was unsure if it would fly legally, and lo and behold it didn't. Really Biden should have sought Congressional authorization when he had a majority.
A right-winger in favor of raising taxes. What a sight to see.
For the millionth time, I am not a right-winger.
So Derec loves loan forgiveness when the loans are PPP loans. Maybe it's the sort of people whose loans get forgiven -- people who help themselves to PPP money.
I did not say I love it. It was a bad program. But legally, there is a big difference between a program explicitly authorized by Congress and one that isn't.

I am of two minds in the SCOTUS decision. Congressional legislation can be sloppy, so I do like judicial oversight. Viewed in that light, I don't have a problem with the SCOTUS decision.

However, Robert's opinion whines about the large amount of spending in the loan forgiveness program. The amount of spending is none of his or any justice's business. Either the spending was authorized or not. The amount is immaterial.

The people admitted to those colleges were never in the bottom-scoring class of applicants. They were talented minority students who did not have the benefit of connections, parents with college degrees, and, most importantly, money. Both black justices on the Supreme Court would never have gone to Ivy League schools without affirmative action, not to mention Barrack Obama. He originally went to Columbia University at a time when I taught there, and my classes had a fair number of minority students. (Obama did not take my introduction to linguistics course, as far as I remember, but those were large classes.) They were every bit as competitive as the others, some of whom had family connections to Columbia. I remember one such student who came in during office hours to complain that I was giving him mediocre grades, and he wanted to do extra credit work to get them up so that he could go to law school and "daddy" wouldn't be angry. That was just one person, but the Ivy League had plenty of white students who clearly didn't belong in a top tier university.

That is exactly what they are doing. For a few decades (ever since the Warren Court) the court tilted to the left. Even many Republican appointees tilted left on the Bench - think Souter or SDO'C. I guess it wasn't illegitimate to rule in favor of left-wing causes, but it is illegitimate to rule against them.
Rank hypocrisy!
The problem is the current court is ruling based on ideology rather than the Constitution.

Biden Administration Forgives $39 Billion in Student Loans for 800,000 Borrowers - The New York Times - "One-time credits will wipe out loans, fixing mistakes made by loan servicers when collecting payments under income-driven repayment programs."
The relief will go to those who have federal loans owned directly by the Education Department and who enrolled in income-driven repayment plans or would have qualified for loan forgiveness if they had done so. Those plans cap the payments that borrowers owe to a percentage of their income. Under those plans, borrowers must make payments for a term that is typically 20 or 25 years. At the end of that period, any remaining balance is forgiven.

More than eight million people use income-driven repayment plans, but for decades, many of the companies that bill borrowers made extensive mistakes in tracking payments and in guiding borrowers through the payment process. Those errors put millions of borrowers further behind by years in their quest to pay off their loans.

“For far too long, borrowers fell through the cracks of a broken system,” Miguel Cardona, the education secretary, said on Friday.

Who Qualifies for Biden’s $39 Billion Student Loan Forgiveness? - The New York Times - "The Education Department announced that more than 800,000 borrowers would see their debt eliminated thanks to fixes made to its income-driven repayment programs."

If Banks Can Be Bailed Out, Student Debt Can Be Canceled - In These Times - "Biden must act now to make student debt relief a reality—no matter what the Supreme Court says."
In a press conference after the student debt ruling, a reporter asked Biden if this was a “rogue” Court. He hesitated, and then responded solemnly, “This is not a normal court.”

He’s not wrong, in the sense that judges don’t normally take luxurious gifts from billionaires with ties to the cases before them. But as for the radical decisions this Court has handed down, abnormality as a descriptor doesn’t go far enough. Justice Elena Kagan made it plain in her dissent: the ruling on student debt “violated the constitution.” To even hear the case in the first place, she wrote, “exceed[ed] the permissible boundaries of the judicial role.”

There’s another way the decision wasn’t normal. Typically a party seeks to remedy a concrete injury that they themselves suffered. But in Biden v. Nebraska, six Republican-controlled states sued on behalf of student loan servicer MOHELA, claiming that a loss of financial revenue to MOHELA harms the state of Missouri. The Court generally doesn’t “allow plaintiffs to rely on injuries suffered by” third parties. That’s one of the basic limits on federal judicial power. But this tenuous and debunked claim of financial harm was deemed sufficient to undo Biden’s initial iteration of student debt relief.

To put it plainly, Republicans sued to stop Biden’s student debt policy simply because they didn’t like the policy. But we already have a process where grievances like these can be sorted — we call them elections. Now, if you’re a Republican that can place a bogus lawsuit before a sympathetic judge, you don’t need to make your case to voters, because the politicians with gavels and robes will decide on these issues instead.

Then noting "The Biden administration can and must implement student debt relief right away, acting swiftly before Republicans can concoct another frivolous legal challenge."

That's a rather drastic step, and I'd only recommend it if right-wingers disregard the Supreme Court on some favorite issue of theirs.

Opinion | Student Loan Repayments Are Dwindling - The New York Times - "America’s Student Loans Were Never Going to Be Repaid"

"Normally, borrowers slowly begin to repay loans after finishing college. So, the older the loan, the less likely it is to have a balance exceeding the borrowed amount."

"Normally" being before recent years. In 2009, 36% of borrowers had already accrued interest, making them owe more than borrowed amount. But of borrowers with loans from 1997, only 15% owed more than than original amount.

"But this system has been breaking down. 2013 was the first year when a single loan cohort had more than half their student loans carrying a balance greater than originally borrowed."

"Recognizing the rise in struggling borrowers, the government expanded the income-driven repayment program in 2015. Borrowers under that plan don’t have to make full payments. But their unpaid interest accumulates faster."

Rather curious to leave that unfixed.

"The line is high and flat in 2019, showing that most student borrowers couldn’t keep up with interest."

For new loans, 57% of borrowers owed more than originally borrowed, and of borrowers for 2007, 40% owed more than originally borrowed.

"The 2020 student loan repayment pause shook up this unhealthy dynamic. From then on, the youngest loans never accumulated unpaid interest, and the overall share of loans with balances greater than borrowed amounts began to come down."

"In 2022, recent borrowers were still benefiting from the pause. When the pause ends in September, balances are expected to trend back toward the 2019 plateau."

In recent years, many Americans with student loans weren’t making enough money to pay even the accumulating interest on their debt, let alone make progress on the principal. Wage stagnation is a long-running phenomenon that worsened after the Great Recession. But an important additional source of student loan misery is the widening and diversifying nature of the Americans who take them out. It’s increasingly the case that people who were always going to have low earnings no matter their educational attainment are also overloaded with student debt — think of underpaid teachers who acquired expensive master’s degrees for only a modest pay increase. The promise of higher education leading directly to high incomes is hollow.

In the meantime, while the administration and the courts wrangle over the executive branch’s ability to waive student debt under existing law, student debtors feel forced to downsize their life plans. They delay or forgo marriage and family formation, homeownership, retirement and their children’s education: a profound failure of social reproduction.
All the people who demand that people not have children that they can't afford, they then become outraged at the resulting low birthrate.

Back
Top Bottom