• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Biden and LNG exports

Bullshit. China has gas from Russia, thanks to Biden blowing up Nord Stream, russian gas is free to flow to China.
And yet China is expanding their coal burning.
In China's coal country, full steam ahead with new power plants despite climate pledges
They expand everything, gas, nuclear, everything.
And now Biden cuts gas to Europe even more, nothing personal, just needs to win in November.
It's a stupid move, esp. in light of Russian aggression in Europe.
Just tells you that it US aggression against Europe.

Of course it was a whataboutism. In essence you asked “What about your ilk”?
I notice you do this shit a lot. Instead of engaging in discussing anything of substance, you derail with irrelevancies.
Do you have anything remotely on topic to contribute?

I’m not understanding why Derek believes that Biden is ‘susceptible to manipulation’ by anybody.
Why? It would not be the first time. Remember the B3 monstrosity than only Manchin and Sinema saved us from?
Biden is, as we all know, older than dirt with a very long and very successful career in politics.
Him being older than dirt is precisely why he is susceptible - he is not the man he was even 5-6 years ago. And remember that half of the 2020 policy task forces were lousy with Sandernistas.
Joint Biden-Sanders task forces unveil progressive platform after months of negotiations
The closest I think we could come to accurately saying he can be manipulated is that I don’t believe he would have run in this current race were it not for Donald Trump running.
Sigh. Not everything is about Trump.
1.This election is all about preventing Trump. Now, I’ll agree that changes if Trump somehow becomes ineligible, the situation changes. But what we’re looking at then most likely is Nikki Haley and whoever the Dems run.

2. Biden is really really smart. And he’s extremely experienced and has surrounded himself with a lot of very competent people. He’s not likely to get manipulated into doing something terrible.

You may not have a lot of experience with older adults >80, but I actually do have. The ones who still are sharp are sharp indeed. Biden is pretty darn sharp, speech impediment be damned.

He’s the one who will be doing the manipulating, and doing it well.

1.This election is all about preventing Trump. Now, I’ll agree that changes if Trump somehow becomes ineligible, the situation changes. But what we’re looking at then most likely is Nikki Haley and whoever the Dems run.
This thread is not about the election. It's in the main forum. It's about policy, to wit the pause on new LNG exports.
2. Biden is really really smart. And he’s extremely experienced and has surrounded himself with a lot of very competent people. He’s not likely to get manipulated into doing something terrible.
Him wanting to pass a slightly watered down Bernie spending plan says otherwise.
You may not have a lot of experience with older adults >80, but I actually do have. The ones who still are sharp are sharp indeed. Biden is pretty darn sharp, speech impediment be damned.
This is not about his speech impediment. It's about caving to radical groups like Sunrise Movement. That still invaded his headquarters btw.
He’s the one who will be doing the manipulating, and doing it well.
LMAO.

This thread is not about the election. It's in the main forum. It's about policy, to wit the pause on new LNG exports.
Well he decided to conduct this months long environmental policy review in the months leading up to the election so kind of is. I would say the Reuters story in your OP is more about election year politics than it is about LNG policy.

And your opinion piece from The Hill is from two politicians turned lobbyists at Natural Allies for a Clean Energy Future, created by US natural gas companies in the lead-up to the 2020 elections.

I think you stuck this in the wrong forum.

Reading between the lines,
Having to read between the lines of a Grauniad article of all things.

So you'd rather attack the source and imagine the enviro group's arguments than know what they are.

it appears the issue is about (1) allowing construction of a giant fossil fuel site over 2 years that would long-term be used to increase fossil fuels as opposed to promoting alternatives and allowing that infrastructure....so lost opportunities to make required changes. I am not saying I endorse that, just explaining it; (2) the mega site on Louisiana coast that is experiencing enviro issues that will be accelerated, allegedly.
It seems their biggest objection is over the scale of the project in Louisiana.

That's because part of it is about their local environment, i.e. destruction of Louisiana coast.

The reality, however, is that we will need fossil fuels for decades in the future.

They didn't stop all fossil fuels for decades in the future.

The first goal should be to reduce global coal use as soon as possible. That includes substituting with the much cleaner natural gas.

From the Guardian article:
"This is a carbon mega bomb," said Jeremy Symons, a former Environmental Protection Agency official, of CP2, speaking to the Guardian last October. "The scale of the project is almost unfathomable and it locks us into a fossil fuel dependency for the next 30 years. If all we do is shift from coal to gas, we are cooked."

Environmental advocates have said that increasing US exports will undermine the country’s plans to transition away from fossil fuels. Advocates worry that the CP2 expansion will also exacerbate local environmental degradation and air pollution.

I think their view is that that type of policy creates a lot of infrastructure and inertia that is very difficult to undo later. Once the profit machine starts it becomes part of everything, including politics and survival. Shouldn't there be a point where we slow inertia and try to build infrastructure and momentum for other sources of energy and won't that take decades? Doesn't that mean some decisions in the short-term will be inefficient or seem counter-productive but there's a long-term gain?

Precisely when is that turning point for you when we make short-term sacrifices for long-term interest?

Last edited:
And your opinion piece from The Hill is from two politicians turned lobbyists at Natural Allies for a Clean Energy Future, created by US natural gas companies in the lead-up to the 2020 elections.

What?! The op post only told us these people were Democrats. I had no idea they were lobbyists making money from natural gas companies.

I had to look these people up, including their histories. Article from 2015 re Mary Landrieu:

From above, she went to work for Van Ness Feldman LLC, a lobbying firm for fossil fuels.

Who are their clients? Here's some paperwork for lobbying:

From above, one client is Venture Global LNG. And they are the group who is building the giant natural gas site in Louisiana that is being discussed:

The Hill article from the op doesn't tell us anything about how one author is a lobbyist working for the very same company that stands to gain or lose gazillions from what is going. It just says this:
Mary Landrieu (D-La.) served in the U.S. Senate from 1997 to 2015. Tim Ryan (D-Ohio) represented Ohio’s 13th congressional district from 2003 to 2023. The two are co-chairs of Natural Allies for a Clean Energy Future.

That's very misleading. It doesn't make her wrong, but at least disclose where the author's real bread and butter is coming from.

I looked up the Sunrise Movement. I see nothing there that wouldn't be just slightly left in most of the first world.
Is there a particular position they take you'd like to discuss?
Their support for the "Green New Deal" is one example. Protesting against Nancy Pelosi and Dianne Feinstein for not being left enough is another.
Or how about this?
Dozens arrested for breaching Biden’s Delaware campaign HQ as organizer warns ‘young people won’t support’ prez
NY Post said:
Nearly two dozen lefty activists were arrested Monday for breaching President Biden’s Delaware campaign headquarters in protest of his policies on the climate and Israel-Hamas war.
“Young people won’t support a President who flip flops on climate action and who funds genocide,” Sunrise Movement, the group behind the demonstration, warned in an X post.
Note the combination of the climate narrative and anti-Israel rhetoric.
I guess you will have to explain how that makes them "far left" because I'm still not seeing it.

Back
Top Bottom