• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Biden wants to Appoint Communist to take over Banking: Scary & Unbelievable

Much as I smile on posts like the latest one, I think we should give Mr. 55 more respect. (I admit to being an offender myself.) Some of his positions are correct, even only if partially so. We should make an honest effort to debate and help Mr. 55 broaden his viewpoint.. If we can't find some middle ground, education or compromise here on a message-board, what hope is there for the U.S.A.

For the record, when I say "I am an anarcho-communist," I am half-serious, but I am serious enough for it to be worthy in conversation. All it really means is that I like the basic way of thinking that has driven the development of open source software, but it's not just about open source software. I think that any creative commons type of project is inherently attractive to me at a visceral level, and the philosophical underpinnings of the idea are actually rooted in the writings of left-leaning anarchist philosophers like Proudhon and Kropotkin. The ideals of the open source community might not be a perfect reflection of their writings, but current theories about evolution have come a long way since Origin of Species. While it is a slight exaggeration if I call myself an anarcho-communist, the only reason why it would be an exaggeration is that I don't think that the philosophy is really incompatible with more mainstream views about good policies for a government.

It's like someone saying they admire Daoism. That doesn't mean they want to create a utopian state based on Daoism and force everybody to live their lives according to the writings of Laozi. They just mean that we can learn some important things about living a good life from those writings. Believing that one set of ideas is worthwhile does not mean that one must stop believing that other sets of ideas are worthwhile.

What I mean is that it would be technically accurate to say that I am an anarcho-communist, but I am not ONLY an anarcho-communist. I use many different kinds of ideas to make decisions or form my perceptions.

However, another reason I say that I am an anarcho-communist is that I want to challenge the anti-communist taboo. I think it's a stupid taboo. I don't necessarily want to create a utopian state based on any form of communism, including anarcho-communism, but in spite of that, it's a valid set of ideas that is worthy of being admitted for discussion.

If someone has to go back to a person's college days to find something bad to say about a political opponent, it's a sure indicator they couldn't find anything in their following professional career.

It helps that in this particular instance, Omarova is opposed by people who don't know the definitions of the words they use. They expect the rest of us to cringe at the mention of Karl Marx and communism. After all, if Capitalism is so great, why are they so scared of someone who turned in a college assignment 40 years ago.

If someone has to go back to a person's college days to find something bad to say about a political opponent, it's a sure indicator they couldn't find anything in their following professional career.

It helps that in this particular instance, Omarova is opposed by people who don't know the definitions of the words they use. They expect the rest of us to cringe at the mention of Karl Marx and communism. After all, if Capitalism is so great, why are they so scared of someone who turned in a college assignment 40 years ago.

This is so silly. Look at world growth up to 1800. It's almost a straight line of nothing. Then the Enlightenment thinkers gave us the ideas behind capitalism: property rights, intellectual property rights, patents, free market trade, profit motive and then the line on the graph starts skyrocketing upwards from 1800 to the present. Just look at communist nations compared to capitalist ones. It's no contest. The poorest people in capitalist countries live better than the kings of old did. Poor people drive cars, have a smartphone, have a big screen TV in their house, heat, AC, etc. Everything has trickled down. Remember when only the rich could afford cell phones? Now everyone can thanks to capitalism making things more affordable for the average Joe. I agree that things could still be better for the poor but that's a long cry away from tearing down this whole system that is 99% effective with everything else. Poor people need more capitalism and capital, not less capitalism.

You can't win this one. You look foolish arguing against the evidence. Everyone who says they love communism is not banging on the door to Cuba or North Korea. Let me know when you guys put your money where your mouths are and go to your utopian communist paradises.

You can't win this one. You look foolish arguing against the evidence.
FYI, a couple years before this alleged "communist" you're so upset about wrote her college paper, I turned in a mid-term report on a biography of Marx. I was not kind. The bio was brief, sloppy, and my history prof praised me for knocking it down.

According to your standards, the fact that I even mentioned Marx means that I was then and still am an unrelenting communist. This is what counts as "evidence" for you.

This is so silly. Look at world growth up to 1800. It's almost a straight line of nothing. Then the Enlightenment thinkers gave us the ideas behind capitalism: property rights, intellectual property rights, patents, free market trade, profit motive and then the line on the graph starts skyrocketing upwards from 1800 to the present. Just look at communist nations compared to capitalist ones. It's no contest. The poorest people in capitalist countries live better than the kings of old did. Poor people drive cars, have a smartphone, have a big screen TV in their house, heat, AC, etc. Everything has trickled down. Remember when only the rich could afford cell phones? Now everyone can thanks to capitalism making things more affordable for the average Joe. I agree that things could still be better for the poor but that's a long cry away from tearing down this whole system that is 99% effective with everything else. Poor people need more capitalism and capital, not less capitalism.

You can't win this one. You look foolish arguing against the evidence. Everyone who says they love communism is not banging on the door to Cuba or North Korea. Let me know when you guys put your money where your mouths are and go to your utopian communist paradises.
Okay. If all you have is someone else's word that she once wrote an essay on Marx, you showed up with nothing. What is silly is you thinking you can win an argument by defining all the terms and then presenting both sides, before declaring yourself the winner. Someone told you that communists want to take away your big screen TV and you bowed down at the altar of God's blessed accumulation of wealth, with the hope that someday the rich man will trickle some of his money on you.

I'm not the type who is easily frightened, or easily impressed, so you'll need more than "Ooooh, the scary communists want your microwave."

I think it's really impressive that I can walk to my kitchen and get a tall glass of ice water, which is something Ramses the Great never did, so that proves I live better than a Pharaoh. Of course it does.

Comprehension issues or simple avoidance of points? Hard to say...

Just how many on this thread do you think are 'commies'? Besides your army of straw commies...

That's the thing. I would tell anyone trying to look into my college or early internet years to stuff it.

Honestly, the things they would find would probably get me republican votes. I don't want those votes.

I did read her writings. They sympathize with communism. Look at her tweet I posted about how the USSR didn't have a gender pay gap. YEAH, BECAUSE EVERYONE IS EQUALLY POOR OVER THERE!! She grew up under communism and she's using propaganda to appeal to the feminists. She knows everyone was equally poor over there. She's not dumb. She refused to hand over her Marxist theisis paper. What's she hiding in there? I can bet a million dollars that paper was not criticizing Marxism.

No. They aren't equally poor over there. However, pay is far more a matter of who you know than what you know. With pay and performance mostly disconnected most of the factors driving the pay gap aren't there.

Extremely savvy? He botched the Afghanistan withdrawal and left Americans stranded over there and didn't care. Inflation crisis that he doesn't care about. He's letting everyone come across the border and flying illegals into red states like Florida at 3AM, which DeSantis was complaining about. His approval rating is in the dirt. Democrats are also pushing for illegal immigrants to vote in elections. More people have died from COVID under Biden than Trump, despite Trump leaving him 3 vaccines.

How can anyone with a straight face say that Joe Biden is a savvy politician? He doesn't even know where he is half the time.

The worst botching of Afghanistan was His Flatulence (deliberately fucking up the visas for the people that we would be bringing out), not Biden.

Ah, so it's their fault they are stuck there and poop for them? How heartless. :( Did you know a lot of those people stayed because they ddin't want to abandon their citizens that they grow fond of and developed a bond with? A lot of them are heroes and they are being spit on by Joe Biden and the Dems. Shame on you. There are still people there who want to leave and they can't. Biden is doing nothing about it. He gave the country to the Taliban. He never even apologized to the Afghan people.

His Flatulence gave the country to the Taliban. Biden just followed through on the agreement His Flatulence made.

We were complaining about it. Non-citizens of the U.S. get better treatment than actual citizens of the U.S. It's getting out of control. Did you know in some states if you get into a car accident with an illegal immigrant who has no license and no insurance, they usually get no punishment? Americans must have license and insurance, but immigrants don't need it. Same with COVID. Americans need the COVID vaccine! But, immigrants who cross the border and get flown to random towns by Biden don't need the vaccine. Weird, right? Did you hear when Jen Psaki said that immigrants don't need the vaccine because they aren't staying very long? This makes no sense.. By this same logic, why do we need a vaccine in order to eat inside? Nobody is staying long at that restaurant. Tucker Carlson pointed out this blatant hypocrisy. It's really getting out of control.

No license and no insurance are usually punished with fines, not jail. An illegal will get the same punishment.

In practice we do not effectively deal with unlicensed drivers, whether they are citizens or not.

So US citizens are still leaving unimpeded. What makes you think "There are still people there who want to leave and they can't."?

If you're not on the Taliban's wanted list you can leave. If you are you won't be going anywhere near the any border officials and there are no friendly borders to slip over. Thus the wanted ones are hiding out.

And the car accident happened to me. An ilegal immigrant hit my car from behind at a traffic light. Cop showed up. He didn't have a license or insurance and didn't speak English so the cop told him to go. Cop made me wait and file a report and talk to my insurance company. Cop didn't even write down the immigrants license plate.

Huh? The report would need at least the plate.

So mainland China - a country which is run by a self-identified "communist" party - is in fact a dirt poor nation which lives in the dark and totally does not have Walmart, Buick, and gleaming cities filled with banks and billionaires.

Got it.

When China was actually communist it was a dirt poor nation. My wife lived through the Cultural Revolution and the Great Leap Forward. She has told me enough about that time that I do not ask for more because I do not want to stir up memories.

Modern China is communist pretty much in name only. There are vestiges of the old system that would be too economically disruptive to kill off, but they are being replaced by capitalism. A simple measure of the shift--the generation that grew up after the shift is noticeably taller than the previous generation. When I was first in China I could see over the heads of crowds--but as more and more of the new generation came of age I'm still taller than almost all the locals but not by enough to see over their heads.

Oh you guys have fear, too. It's just on stuff that isn't as threatening. For example, you guys are scared to death of COVID. Republicans are not. Even the people who tell you guys, "Yeah we don't care if we get it. Let's take a risk and not get the vaccine. We're only infecting people who are OK with taking the risk," you still yell at them. You guys are scared to death of white supremacists.

You're not scared of Covid because your side keeps pretending it's not a big deal. And keeping on being plague rats is a risk to everybody, not just yourselves.

Is it reasonable to be fearful of COVID? Yes, but not to the extreme that liberals take it. They become unhinged lunatics about it the way they listen to Saint Fauci.

Is it reasonable to be fearful of white supremacists? Sure, but not to the extreme that liberals take it. They also become unhinged lunatics about it. It's reasonable to become fearful of black supremacists, too. But liberals don't care about that type of racism. I don't mess around. I hate all types of racism. but since I'm not a coward, I can say that.

The bigger threat is the communist being appointed by Biden and his minions.

You think that "communist" will kill half a million people?

What you say does make sense. This is why I think people should get the vaccine. But if they don't want to, we can't abduct them and jab them in the arm against their will. This isn't China or North Korea. I think people are just fed up that they were being lied to by the media about it non-stop since it started. First Fauci said that covid is no big deal and we shouldn;'t worry. Then he said we need to worry. Then he said no masks, then he said 1 mask then he said 2 masks then no mask then mask then no mask. It really has gotten ridiculous and you can see why people would get fed up at the "experts."

"Just give us 2 weeks to slow the spread" - Media and doctors, March 2020.

Get some better news. Fauci never said it was no big deal.

At first he said no masks because we didn't know about the presymptomatic transmission and masks were in short supply--better used for the sick and those treating the sick. Then we discovered it can spread from apparently healthy people and the advice changed--it's not the holy word of god, it can be updated as we learn new information.

The only error I have seen the experts making is downplaying it when things are looking up.

You missed the point. It's been almost 2 years of "just 2 weeks to slow the spread." We went into lockdown. Didn't work.

Lockdown worked against the original version. Just look at China. Look at New Zealand. Look at Australia.

The half-assed handwave of a lockdown we did that was flaunted by many on the right was basically completely ineffective because it was so half-assed.

(Now, Delta is another matter--the precautions that were in place proved inadequate.)

So now we're talking about lockdowns...

Seriously, we'd already have this pandemic licked if everybody would get their vaccine.

Anti-vaxxers are just perpetuating the process of natural selection.

But they're going to drag a lot of other people down with them.

There are a lot of people who think postal banking is the way forward. The issue is, of course, that the banks are doing a cockup of the financial sector.

Postal banking is a joke. It could be used for deposit accounts, but when you introduce all the rest of it it's going to be a total failure.

Is it any surprise that when people make a business of operating other people's money, they take almost all the extra money? I mean fuck, that was the whole point.

When someone else leverages my money, I should be entitled to more than half of the profits of them holding it. That doesn't make the bank rich? I don't give a shit.

They do not take almost all the extra money. However, if you actually want to make money you don't want a bank, you want an investment firm. I suggest things like index funds--you keep most of what you make there.

The primary service a bank provides is allowing you to move money around, it's not about simply keeping it. The profit they make goes to fund those services. If they were making excessive profit they would be eaten by competition who paid better interest. That doesn't happen--because there isn't excessive profit. In the long run a competitive industry will never have excessive profit because competition will drive it out. Only in restricted markets can you see lasting excessive profit. (For example, Apple--because people like what they make and nobody else can make the same thing.)

And note that an awful lot of the unbanked are that way because they stiffed a bank. Either they'll also get expelled from postal banks or postal banks will take huge losses, or postal banks won't do the sort of things that can get them stiffed.

Back
Top Bottom