• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Biden's Cabinet - no CEO's?

lpetrich

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
This may be a case of counting one's chickens before they hatched, but I'm already seeing jockeying over who will be in Joe Biden's Cabinet.

AOC, House progressives warn Biden on corporate hires - POLITICO - "A letter from left-wing lawmakers and groups calls for corporate lobbyists and high-ranking executives to be shut out of a Biden administration."
Left-wing House members including Reps. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Katie Porter, Ayanna Pressley, Raúl Grijalva and candidate Jamaal Bowman along with 39 progressive groups signed a letter, obtained by POLITICO, arguing that no C-suite level corporate executives or corporate lobbyists ought to have Senate-confirmed positions in a Biden administration.

“One of the most important lessons of the Trump administration is the need to stop putting corporate officers and lobbyists in charge of our government,” they wrote. “As elected leaders, we should stop trying to make unsupportable distinctions between which corporate affiliations are acceptable for government service and which are not.”

“It's not addressed to Biden, but there's an understanding that he’d be in charge and be the person making nominations,” said Grijalva, an Arizona Democrat, who drafted the letter and recruited the signees.

The clashes between the left-wing and the center — particularly over economic policy — have eased over the past several months as the factions unite to defeat President Donald Trump but are likely to reignite if Biden is victorious.

Biden would be forced to manage a potentially unwieldy coalition of aggressive left-wing Democrats and a new class of more moderate swing district Democrats from the suburbs.

In my opinion, Biden should appoint well-qualified and well-meaning individuals with some experience managing operations or organizations to these positions.. I see no rational reason for summarily excluding CEOs or any other category of people.

Quite frankly, a pledge to refuse to appoint any CEO would give me serious pause to reconsider my vote.

This is fun.

PoliticsVideoChannel on Twitter: "TED CRUZ: "If these guys win, we will wake up and see AOC as EPA Administrator."" / Twitter

As if that was some great horror. But that provoked responses like

ABitOfSky 🌄 on Twitter: "@politvidchannel "If the Dems win you'll end up w/

*clean water
*clean air
*fresh food
*healthcare
*codified civil rights
*women's choice
*cheaper, better education
*fair wages"

HOW?
JOBS -meaning WE are going to build this future America

Don't threaten us w a good time, Ted #VoteBidenHarris" / Twitter

Also,
Leona Lioness on Twitter: "@politvidchannel Okay good. Then we'll actually have an EPA." / Twitter

Dale Geldart on Twitter: "@politvidchannel Wow, an intelligent, thoughtful woman running the EPA. Sounds fine to me." / Twitter

nous on Twitter: "@DaleGeldart @politvidchannel Anyone with her credentials would be a serious break from the leadership currently at the helm - the only understanding they have now is how to use it as an ATM.." / Twitter

Jodie Moss 💙🌊 on Twitter: "@politvidchannel @BearmanShannon Why is he against having an EPA administrator who actually cares about the environment?" / Twitter

Robert Waldmann on Twitter: "@ALJWS @politvidchannel I like the idea of AOC at the EPA. Junior congresspeople have very little power. Giving up a Senate seat is different (Warren better not)." / Twitter

Scott on Twitter: "@politvidchannel What’s wrong with AOC as head of EPA? We have less CO2 emissions? Healthier planet? Lobbyist have pushed republicans into hating the environment and made it political. Only in America" / Twitter

Ted Cruz was talking about it as if it was a nightmare. But many people think that it would be great.

In my opinion, Biden should appoint well-qualified and well-meaning individuals with some experience managing operations or organizations to these positions.. I see no rational reason for summarily excluding CEOs or any other category of people.

Quite frankly, a pledge to refuse to appoint any CEO would give me serious pause to reconsider my vote.

Of all the issues with Biden, this would give you serious pause? Really?

I have no idea what you think those issues are, but in my view, it is fucking idiotic to necessarily exclude CEOs just because of the "C". I will not vote for a fucking idiot.

Is there a laundry list of issues that make this one pale in comparison? Did you write it on the back?

They are the industry experts. They do need to be vetted to determined who’s best interest they are going to act in and they are easily replaced.

Is there a laundry list of issues that make this one pale in comparison? Did you write it on the back?

Have you visited a right wing echo chamber lately?
Of course there's a laundry list. You too can add to it, if you can offer them some plausible sounding-yet-heinous act to accuse Biden of.
No evidence needed; if the story is good enough, we can up the evidence later, or get Rudi to do it.

Biden would revamp fraying intel community - POLITICO
President Donald Trump was in the middle of receiving a highly classified briefing on Afghanistan at his New Jersey golf club when he suddenly craved a malted milkshake.

“Does anyone want a malt?” he asked the senior defense and intelligence officials gathered around him, an august group that included the head of the CIA’s Special Activities Center, which is responsible for covert operations and paramilitary operations. “We have the best malts, you have to try them,” Trump insisted, as he beckoned a waiter into the room where code-word classified intelligence was being discussed.
This malt episode happened a few months after he took office, and it has become legendary.

He became known for being reluctant to read his daily intelligence briefings.
But what initially seemed like mere boredom — which demoralized intelligence officials but could potentially be managed by including pictures and charts in briefings to hold the president’s attention — later morphed into something the officials saw as more sinister: an interest in wielding intelligence as a political cudgel. Whether selectively declassified by spy chiefs he installed for their loyalty, or obscured from congressional and public scrutiny if it conflicted with his preferred narrative, intelligence became just another weapon in the president’s arsenal.
Biden had a very different attitude.
Blinken recalled Biden telling him in February 2017, shortly after leaving office, that the thing he missed most about being vice president was receiving the PDB every morning.

“He said he felt so connected to what was going on around the world thanks to the PDB, and that losing that connection felt like a real void,” Blinken said. “I think that is evidence of the basic value he placed on the work of the intelligence community, because the PDB is of course their most important product.”

One approach Biden is considering, others said: placing people in charge who are experienced and who are already familiar faces to the intelligence community and its oversight bodies.

They are the industry experts. They do need to be vetted to determined who’s best interest they are going to act in and they are easily replaced.

Why would being an "industry expert" help in any way with running the State Department? :confused:

Why would being an "industry expert" help in any way with running the State Department? :confused:

Someone from an indusrty with a history of working in certain countries might have forged dependable contacts, an understanding of the area, its culture, ongoing issues, and stuff like that there.
Of course, we just watched Il Cheato pick people solely for his personal benefit, who served for their profit, but you cannot really write it as a policy statement, "Don't Trump like a Trump."

Someone from an indusrty with a history of working in certain countries might have forged dependable contacts, an understanding of the area, its culture, ongoing issues, and stuff like that there.
Of course, we just watched Il Cheato pick people solely for his personal benefit, who served for their profit, but you cannot really write it as a policy statement, "Don't Trump like a Trump."

I would not trust the CEO of a company to have a fair and unblemished view of another country's culture just because they've been there. The chief executive officer of a corporation is hopelessly compromised by their own financial interests, they aren't there on holiday. It is literally their job to put the company first before all other considerations. Why are conservatives always so naive about how the business world actually works? The whole "government should be run like a business" trope needs to die. Buisinesses aren't run well, they are run profitably.

I would not trust the CEO of a company to have a fair and unblemished view of another country's culture just because they've been there. The chief executive officer of a corporation is hopelessly compromised by their own financial interests, they aren't there on holiday. It is literally their job to put the company first before all other considerations. Why are conservatives always so naive about how the business world actually works? The whole "government should be run like a business" trope needs to die. Buisinesses aren't run well, they are run profitably.

I would expect anyone currently working in the industry to step away from the position and divest themself from any financial ties within that industry. How about Executive Directors, are they okay? They are normally associated with nonprofits but in that same vein, some nonprofits have CEOs. Could the Executive Director of the Sierra Club run the Dept of the Interior? Could the CEO of the Cleveland Clinic (a nonprofit) run Health and Human Services?
My point is, I would not discount anyone, cast anyone with a wealth of knowledge aside based on their job title. If they've made it to the top leadership position within an organization, they will have a track record. I would judge them on that, not the assumption that all CEOs are evil.

Back
Top Bottom