• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Bill Maher Last Night: The Danger of False Equivalency

I think Americans don't see how bad Hillary is because they, in some twisted way, think it's ok for America to invade and bomb other countries.

Not like teh donald, who only wants to "bomb the shit out of them". I think Americans don't see how bad Trump is because they, in some twisted way, think that nothing he says matters. Almost as if he might be a pathological liar, but that's okay. Makes it fine to tolerate the fact that he's racist sexual predator and white collar criminal.

Yeah baby! Trump loves torture, torture, torture. He promises us he'll school them damn generals on how to beat ISIS. Why can't we use nukes?

He (Trump) continued: "They have some in Syria, some in Iraq. I would bomb the s--- out of 'em. I would just bomb those suckers. That's right. I'd blow up the pipes. ... I'd blow up every single inch. There would be nothing left. And you know what, you'll get Exxon to come in there and in two months, you ever see these guys, how good they are, the great oil companies? They’ll rebuild that sucker, brand new — it'll be beautiful."

I think Americans don't see how bad Hillary is because they, in some twisted way, think it's ok for America to invade and bomb other countries.

Not like teh donald, who only wants to "bomb the shit out of them". I think Americans don't see how bad Trump is because they, in some twisted way, think that nothing he says matters. Almost as if he might be a pathological liar, but that's okay. Makes it fine to tolerate the fact that he's racist sexual predator and white collar criminal.

They are both bad. I'm just wondering why Bill Maher is such an obsequious fan of Hillary?

They are both bad. I'm just wondering why Bill Maher is such an obsequious fan of Hillary?

He's against the Republicans; the viable alternative is the Democrats. HRC happens to be the nominee this time, had it been Sanders, or Biden he likely would have supported them too.

He's against the Republicans; the viable alternative is the Democrats. HRC happens to be the nominee this time, had it been Sanders, or Biden he likely would have supported them too.

ok..thank you. Personally I see little difference between republicans and democrats

ok..thank you. Personally I see little difference between republicans and democrats

Why is that? Please be specific both in terms of domestic & foreign policy.

Bill is funny most of the time. But I don't look to him for political insight anymore than I would look to Yelp when choosing fast food. (Or this forum)

I'm not American so I give a lot less weight to domestic policy.
As far as foreign policy goes they are the same. They both hold strongly to the right to invade and bomb countries which pose no threat. They both pander to Israel. They both seem to want to increase tensions with Russia and China. They both support "regime change" around the world.

Trump is the first serious presidential candidate in recent history to offer a hint of something different on some of these points.

IMHO neo conservatives (and Hillary is one) have greatly damaged America

They look different during election, once they get elected they are the same.
Banksters and other interested parties are paying to both parties equally for a reason. Bill Maher is right about one thing, americans (and people in general) are not interested in politics.

As far as foreign policy goes they are the same. They both hold strongly to the right to invade and bomb countries which pose no threat. They both pander to Israel.

So you acknowledge that they are different on domestic policy?

If they both pander to Israel, why is Netanyahu taking sides with the Republicans, as opposed to Obama. For example both Israel & the Republicans were opposed to the Nuclear deal with Iran. The Democrats hold the opposite position of Israel & the Republicans on this. Are those really exactly the same to you? Which side of that issue, do you think is more likely to avoid another war in the Middle East? There's a big lack of specifics there. I'm hearing a lot of "they're the same" but a glaring lack of specifics as to why.

They look different during election, once they get elected they are the same.
Banksters and other interested parties are paying to both parties equally for a reason. Bill Maher is right about one thing, americans (and people in general) are not interested in politics.

Is this the only issue where you see them as the same, or are there differences elsewhere between the parties? Are they going to hold the same polices on social issues? Economic issues? Obamacare? Foreign policy? If they're both the same, wouldn't they agree on all those things?

As far as foreign policy goes they are the same. They both hold strongly to the right to invade and bomb countries which pose no threat. They both pander to Israel.

Yes, in some ways. But most of these are irrelevant for the rest of the world

If they both pander to Israel, why is Netanyahu taking sides with the Republicans, as opposed to Obama. For example both Israel & the Republicans were opposed to the Nuclear deal with Iran. The Democrats hold the opposite position of Israel & the Republicans on this. Are those really exactly the same to you? Which side of that issue, do you think is more likely to avoid another war in the Middle East? There's a big lack of specifics there. I'm hearing a lot of "they're the same" but a glaring lack of specifics as to why.
They can both pander without being "exactly the same", as you put it

Yes, in some ways. But most of these are irrelevant for the rest of the world

They can both pander without being "exactly the same", as you put it

For those of us who live here domestic policies are important, so them being different matters.

How exactly are they pandering? Please be specific.

That is good to know. It would difficult for a furriner to understand what could have happened if the trillions spent in overseas wars (since the Republicans took over the White House in January 2001), had been spent instead on domestic infrastructure (jobs!), education etc.. There would be far fewer people in the US who could be convinced that the reason they have nothing is because of the OTHERS, and the Trumps of the world would at least need a new pitch.

They enable and go along with Israel's treatment of the Palestinians and the failure of Israel to comply with the UN resolutions.
That is one specific example that I think fits the definition of "pandering". I'm sure one could see others

That is good to know. It would difficult for a furriner to understand what could have happened if the trillions spent in overseas wars (since the Republicans took over the White House in January 2001), had been spent instead on domestic infrastructure (jobs!), education etc.. There would be far fewer people in the US who could be convinced that the reason they have nothing is because of the OTHERS, and the Trumps of the world would at least need a new pitch.

I hope I'd have at least some understanding of that. And I agree with you.
Trump may be a dick, but I think he has done America a favour by being critical of the money wasted on those wars.
He may not even mean it, but no one in his position has openly criticised the establishment the way he has. And I think that is a good thing

They enable and go along with Israel's treatment of the Palestinians and the failure of Israel to comply with the UN resolutions.

What exactly do the Palestinians want and what are they willing to give in return for it? What steps have each side taken to show a willingness to make a deal? How is the U.S. enabling Israel in this matter? What exactly do you expect the U.S. to do about said U.N. resolutions?

The thing I mention was an example specific to Israel & Iran where the Dems & Republicans took the exact opposite stance. Netanyahu went to Congress, at the invitation of the Republicans to speak against the deal. What makes war between either Israel OR U.S. vs. Iran less likely? Are the Democrats foreign policy on this, diplomacy and reduced sanctions against Iran by the US, the same as the Republican's position of rejecting said deal and imposing greater sanctions against Iran?

You claim they are the same on issues of foreign policy, I just gave you a specific example of how they're different. You said something along the lines of them both pandering, when Israel is explicitly against the nuclear deal with Iran, as are the Republicans. How can both be pandering there?

You claim they are the same on issues of foreign policy, I just gave you a specific example of how they're different.
Yes I did. You then asked how they were "exactly the same". I don't think they are exactly the same.

I thought it might have been clear when I wrote...
As far as foreign policy goes they are the same. They both hold strongly to the right to invade and bomb countries which pose no threat. They both pander to Israel. They both seem to want to increase tensions with Russia and China. They both support "regime change" around the world.
...what I meant.
I don't see the point of taking up your challenge that they be "exactly the same" on every point

Back
Top Bottom