• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Boycotting Goya Foods because of its CEO's Trump-Loving

lpetrich

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
#Goyaway: Calls To Boycott Goya Foods After CEO Praises President Trump : NPR
Twitter users are calling for a boycott of Goya Foods, a brand most known for its Hispanic-staple food offerings, after the CEO of the company lavished praise on President Trump during a Thursday visit to the White House.

"We're all truly blessed at the same time to have a leader like President Trump, who is a builder," Unanue said during the Rose Garden speech.

"We have an incredible builder. And we pray. We pray for our leadership, our president, and we pray for our country — that we will continue to prosper and to grow."
Which provoked a lot of responses.

To
igorvolsky on Twitter: "The CEO of @GoyaFoods is at a White House event saying we're "blessed to have a leader" like Trump.
Make your shopping decisions accordingly. https://t.co/lLHSz4mEUV" / Twitter

was response
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "Oh look, it’s the sound of me Googling “how to make your own Adobo”" / Twitter
then
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "Get yourself friends like these: this tweet wasn’t up for TWO MINUTES when my friend hit me up with the recipe. (Their note: “the ginger is controversial, but worth it”)
(For accessibility: 4 Salt, 1 paprika, 1 cumin, 1 celery powder, 2 garlic powder, .5 ginger , 1 chili powder) https://t.co/5WFe9sL5jE" / Twitter

Also
Ana Navarro-Cárdenas on Twitter: "When the vast majority of your customers are Latinos, you might expect a backlash from serving as a prop for a guy who puts brown children in cages, calls countries like El Salvador, “shit-holes”, denies Puerto Rican deaths and calls Mexicans, “rapists and criminals”. That’s all." / Twitter

To
The Hill on Twitter: "Goya Foods CEO Robert Unanue: "We're all truly blessed... to have a leader like President Trump who is a builder." https://t.co/2VdG4qAnpK" / Twitter
was response
Julián Castro on Twitter: ".@GoyaFoods has been a staple of so many Latino households for generations.
Now their CEO, Bob Unanue, is praising a president who villainizes and maliciously attacks Latinos for political gain. Americans should think twice before buying their products. #Goyaway" / Twitter

By Thursday evening, "Goya," #BoycottGoya, and #Goyaway were trending topics on Twitter.

What goes through the mind of someone, especially a minority running a business that relies heavily on minority customers, when they decide to heap praise on a man who would like to rid the country of every non-rich person in that minority? Does he never watch the news? Never go out of the mansion?

He may as well have "Hold my beer" tattooed on his forehead.

The Unanue family are wealthy Spanish-American businessmen, they have no loyalty to impoverished and oppressed Mexican and Central American immigrants. Robert was raised on the silver spoon in New York, just like Trump.

The Unanue family are wealthy Spanish-American businessmen, they have no loyalty to impoverished and oppressed Mexican and Central American immigrants. Robert was raised on the silver spoon in New York, just like Trump.

Goya products are priced at a premium. They even command their own section in grocery stores. So they are extremely vulnerable. Lots of less expensive brands out there. I've been buying 3 of their 20# bags of parboiled rice per year. I like the flavor but I'll be looking for another brand now.

Don Moynihan on Twitter: "When Ted refuses to buy your product: peaceful protest, marketplace of ideas.
When you don't buy Ted's beans: cancel culture, attack on free speech. https://t.co/1pnbIrqLdF" / Twitter

Ted Cruz on Twitter: "Wow. Poll show 1/3 of fans may boycott NFL. Free speech: strong First Amendment response to disrespecting the flag. https://t.co/X7OodD9ZwU" / Twitter

Jalen Rose on Twitter: "Salute to all @Nfl players & teams that peacefully did protests for change. #standfornothingfallforanything" / Twitter
then
Ted Cruz on Twitter: "Here's a peaceful protest: never buy another shoe, shirt, or jersey of rich spoiled athletes who dishonor our flag. https://t.co/GrGPYX8HCh" / Twitter

James Woods on Twitter: "Goya Foods CEO won't apologize in face of boycott, backlash for pro-Trump remarks: 'Suppression of speech' // Bob Unanue sets a good example in the fight against liberal terrorism. Don’t let his voice be suppressed. Stand up against these thugs. #BuyGoya https://t.co/5TmFnsPmcP" / Twitter
then
Ted Cruz on Twitter: "Goya is a staple of Cuban food. My grandparents ate Goya black beans twice a day for nearly 90 years. And now the Left is trying to cancel Hispanic culture and silence free speech. #BuyGoya" / Twitter
then
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "GOP boycotting Nike over Kaepernick = “free speech”
Dems boycott anything= “suppression”
I know consistency isn’t your thing, but pick a lane. Trump targeted Latinos on Day 1. Caged our kids. And you defend it.
Your habichuelas probably taste like your politics anyway: 0 sazón" / Twitter

Habichuela = (green) bean, sazón = seasoning

Well, Goya does make good frozen maduros, so I don't plan on boycotting them. I doubt the few dollars I spend on their product every few months will have an impact on them. Plus, I'm not really a fan of boycotting anything because of the political beliefs of the company's CEOs. Now, I would love it if people all gave up their FB accounts until Fuckerberg got real. He said he might stop all political advertising. That would be a good start.

I currently have Publix maduros in my freezer, but I wouldn't be surprised if Goya was making them for Publix.

Well, Goya does make good frozen maduros, so I don't plan on boycotting them. I doubt the few dollars I spend on their product every few months will have an impact on them. Plus, I'm not really a fan of boycotting anything because of the political beliefs of the company's CEOs. ...

Me too. Except in this case it's different. Not to be rude,
McKinnon2.jpg
McKinnon3.jpg

What goes through the mind of someone, especially a minority running a business that relies heavily on minority customers, when they decide to heap praise on a man who would like to rid the country of every non-rich person in that minority? Does he never watch the news? Never go out of the mansion?

He may as well have "Hold my beer" tattooed on his forehead.

They aren't a minority. They are white.

Ivanka Trump tweet featuring can of Goya beans sparks backlash - CBS News
The tweet raised questions about whether Trump violated federal ethics rules prohibiting the use of "public office for [their] own private gain, for the endorsement of any product, service or enterprise." Walter Shaub, the former director of the Office of Government Ethics, said that the tweet was "clearly a violation of the government's misuse of position regulation."
Also mentioning AOC's tweet about it and several other tweets that suggested that IT was in violation of ethics rules.

The tweet raised questions about whether Trump violated federal ethics rules prohibiting the use of "public office for [their] own private gain, for the endorsement of any product, service or enterprise." Walter Shaub, the former director of the Office of Government Ethics, said that the tweet was "clearly a violation of the government's misuse of position regulation."
Also mentioning AOC's tweet about it and several other tweets that suggested that IT was in violation of ethics rules.

Rules are for little people.

1000x-1.jpg

It definitely violates the law, but I don't see Trump supporters storming the Mexican food aisle at their location grocery store to buy Goya products. So in the end, it just looks real stupid.

How stupid? It sends the message of "I'll shill for you if you say nice things about me."

"Well, when the President does it, that means it is not illegal." (Nixon to Frost)

"We don't pay taxes. Only the little people pay taxes." (Leona Helmsley)

"If you're trying to silence me through the Hatch Act, it's not going to work. Let me know when the jail sentence starts." (Kellyanne Conway)

Hillary: "They (the old tax returns) showed he didn't pay any federal income tax." Donald: "That makes me smart."

"Then I have article 2, where I have the right to do whatever I want as President." (Trump -- this quote should be put on blimps all over the country. Melania should pre-order his headstone and have this carved on it. Lindsey Graham should have it tattooed on his belly fat. Young Republicans should chant this as their morning prayer. Etc.)

Well, Trump did promise us a Mexican wall.

Although I'm confident it was paid for by American taxpayers.

Actually, Goya's in Secaucus, not Tampico, so the Trumps are boosting American business, just like when they forced a Chinese investment co. to sell Grindr back to America. If you dig Goya, you're prob'ly into Mondongo big time, and you dig Grindr...well, Mondongo or photoshopped images of Jared K., I'm guessing.

OMG, that's not photoshopped!!!!! That's actually "our" President with Goya foods on his desk!!!!!! OMG!!!! I should've caught Morning Joe this morning. Oh, my, God, it's real. I just assumed it had to be photoshopped, because it looks it, and, how could a President ever......
Proving once again, never assume you can predict the lowest behavior to which this man will stoop.
Please, please, Mr. CEO of Speedo bathing trunks, do not praise Trump. Repeat, do not praise Trump.

Back
Top Bottom