• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Build the Wall!

Yes, the pandemic has provided temporary benefits for labor. But there is no guarantee how much longer union's can negotiate for better conditions. Labor wants a candidate who will best represent their best interests regardless of temporary conditions. That means pro Trump candidates.
How do pro-Trump candidates represent the longer-run best interests of labor?
Keep out immigrants = keep the labor supply low = raise wages.
Or maybe just start throwing the people that hire illegal immigrants in jail, as the laws allow.
The Reich wing wants to keep out legal immigrants also.
The authoritarian right-wing loves illegal immigration for businesses. More money! But they pretend to be against it.

We see this with the lack of any attempt to increase budgeting and court infrastructure required to actually address illegal immigrants in the US.

The alt-right wants to pull things back to pre-Civil War times for immigration.

Or maybe just start throwing the people that hire illegal immigrants in jail, as the laws allow.

This is the part that makes me crazy.

Dumbasses like to blame desperate people for coming to the USA to get jobs. Like they're stealing jobs. They aren't!

They're getting hired by American employers, who are giving our jobs away to illegal immigrants by the millions. The employers are the real criminals here, not the immigrants. If we, as a society, started prosecuting illegal employers this problem would be resolved by the summer.

But those illegals are just so darned profitable. They keep wages down while simultaneously keeping consumption up. It's a total win for the investing class. Ya know, the folks who tell the government what to do.
Tom
Yes, most everyone would agree the employers should be prosecuted and sanctioned, but in the real world they aren't.

So the only political option left for labor is to vote for pro Trump candidates who will put up and enforce a wall. Again...its not the best solution but it is the only solution for that political class of voters. The political class that used to be reliable Democrats before the Clinton era folks decided to throw them under the bus.

Yes, the pandemic has provided temporary benefits for labor. But there is no guarantee how much longer union's can negotiate for better conditions. Labor wants a candidate who will best represent their best interests regardless of temporary conditions. That means pro Trump candidates.
It is incredible just how many so called college educated elite liberals can not comprehend the most basic of all accepted economic principle (supply vs demand)! How did these people get through school?!! Although more likely a "not wanting to understand" than a "not able to understand" indisposition on their part.

It is incredible just how many so called college educated elite liberals can not comprehend the most basic of all accepted economic principle (supply vs demand)! How did these people get through school?!! Although more likely a "not wanting to understand" than a "not able to understand" indisposition on their part.
The idea that keeping out immigrants are going to substantially help US labor is fanciful. First, most documented workers are in higher paying jobs (more management level types), than blue collar. Keeping them out does not help blue collar workers. Second, most undocumented workers are low-paying sectors. Raising wages in those sectors will reduce the number of jobs and raise the cost of those products, so it is not clear whether "labor" is significantly affected or helped.

Putting up an effective wall is an appealing policy to nativists, racial bigots and those who uncritically apply simple concepts to complex issues. Expecting pro-Trump GOP candidates to allocate such funds to build such an effective wall in a manner that does not harm labor or households is ridiculous. The expectation pro-Trump GOP candidates to endorse and enforce laws against employment of undocumented workers is a triumph of hope over experience.

One would think that pro-Trump candidates that favor higher tariffs and other protections from foreign competition would be considered "pro labor". At least that argument has some empirical basis for helping blue collar workers at the expense of US consumers.

Some of these assumptions about immigrants don't make sense. My mother is in a nursing home in New Jersey and the vast majority of the staff are immigrants. I worked in long term care as the only RN in the facility, here in Georgia before I retired. In 18 years, we only had two staff members who were immigrants. One was an RN from Haiti who was working to get her license here. The other was from Mexico. She moved to another state so she could make more money, doing a different type of work. Both women entered here legally. The owners only paid the native born Americans as well as the two immigrants slightly higher than the minimum wage of 7.25/hr. Raises were a rarity. The immigrant workers in NJ make quite a bit more an hour, as those willing to do that work are in short supply. The real problem is that there are fewer and fewer American workers who are willing to work in nursing homes, assisted living facilities, meat processing plants, driving trucks etc. Right now, we have a shortage of workers, not a shortage of jobs. Imo, we need to allow immigrants into the country legally like we did in the early years of the 20th Century. It's the racist, xenophobes who are the real problem, not the immigrants. But most of you already knew that.

Yes, most everyone would agree the employers should be prosecuted and sanctioned, but in the real world they aren't.

So the only political option left for labor is to vote for pro Trump candidates who will put up and enforce a wall. Again...its not the best solution but it is the only solution for that political class of voters. The political class that used to be reliable Democrats before the Clinton era folks decided to throw them under the bus.
They aren't prosecuted because that would just cause more trouble. "Success" would end up with massive identity theft by illegals which would cause IRS hassles for citizens. Besides, we don't have secure documents to prove work status, anyway. My wife was an immigrant--there was a period during which her work permission was in the form of a letter. Just a piece of paper with no security features whatsoever. That was long enough ago you couldn't simply scan it and photoshop, but I haven't heard of the system improving.

As for the wall--most illegals don't come across the desert in the first place. A wall can't stop someone who takes another route. It's also not hard to defeat.

But those illegals are just so darned profitable. They keep wages down while simultaneously keeping consumption up. It's a total win for the investing class. Ya know, the folks who tell the government what to do.
Tom

You write as though you believe Trumpist ascendancy would be good for labor.

Interested in buying a bridge?

Tom

Maybe RVonse is unaware of the donald's history of stiffing of laborers and contractors?

Tom

Maybe RVonse is unaware of the donald's history of stiffing of laborers and contractors?

He stiffed a relative of Mrs E in Atlantic City. Years and years ago. When I tell the tale to right wingers they mostly say what Donny would say: that makes him smart.
Post Truth Republicans (PTRs) think being a scumbag is smart.

He stiffed a relative of Mrs E in Atlantic City. Years and years ago. When I tell the tale to right wingers they mostly say what Donny would say: that makes him smart.
Post Truth Republicans (PTRs) think being a scumbag is smart.

I see this in Thailand. Now we have a military dictator, but until eight years ago (and ignoring the tradition of vote buying), Thailand had more-or-less free elections. But the top leaders were often corrupt criminals, even murderers! At first I thought people just weren't reading the same newspapers as I was, but in conversation I learned that criminality was considered a qualification for office!

In the Summer of 1997 with the Central Bank's dollar window otherwise shuttered, T____ was allowed to purchase a huge quantity of U.S. Dollars for 27 baht each. Just hours later the baht was floated; it fell to 54 per dollar by January. T____ effectively bilked the public Treasury out of a large fortune. I asked a young supporter of T____, well-educated by up-country standards, about this. "Wouldn't you have done the same if you could?" was his answer. Apparently bilking the Thai public was a reason to choose T____ as P.M.: I suppose the man thought he'd use his cleverness to bilk other countries for the benefit of Thailand. :ROFLMAO:

I suppose the man thought he'd use his cleverness to bilk other countries for the benefit of Thailand.

Probably exactly right. That is what Mangoman told his marks when he was running in 2016.
He was going to use his incredibly big brain and amazing business acumen to enrich America.
Unbelievably, the marks were - and remain - unable to discern that when Mangoman says "'America" he means "Donald J Trump".

I suppose the man thought he'd use his cleverness to bilk other countries for the benefit of Thailand.

Probably exactly right. That is what Mangoman told his marks when he was running in 2016.
He was going to use his incredibly big brain and amazing business acumen to enrich America.
Unbelievably, the marks were - and remain - unable to discern that when Mangoman says "'America" he means "Donald J Trump".
Far be it for me to somehow defend Trump not being corrupt.

But look at everyone else in congress. Look at Nancy Pelosi who is better at stock trading than Warren Buffet. She has become internet famous at insider trading and when you have redit followers who do nothing else but track what Pelosi buys and sells for their own personal gain, that's when you know the corruption has arrived.

Never mind Thailand, we have Pelosi and Trump.

Reactions: jab
Far be it for me to somehow defend Trump not being corrupt.

If memory serves it wouldn't be the first time you defended something that never existed.
Phantom evidence of massive voter fraud, a non-corrupt Trump... all of a piece.

look at everyone else in congress.

Whatabout whatabout? Sheesh, dude.
Why "look at everyone else in congress"?
This thread is about the former Dumbass-in-Chief's vanity grift.
Start another thread about Nancy or Mitch or "everyone else"

But look at everyone else in congress. Look at Nancy Pelosi who is better at stock trading than Warren Buffet. She has become internet famous at insider trading and when you have redit followers who do nothing else but track what Pelosi buys and sells for their own personal gain, that's when you know the corruption has arrived.
I literally have no fucking idea what this is supposed to mean. Pelosi is using redit for insider trading so therefore she is no different than Trump? Wake me when she starts gassing protestors for a photo op.

I literally have no fucking idea what this is supposed to mean. Pelosi is using redit for insider trading so therefore she is no different than Trump? Wake me when she starts gassing protestors for a photo op.
Forget it, Jake. It's Whingetown. (Cite.)

Just two days ago or so, right here at this message-board, one of this ilk was complaining about how rich Biden was, or corrupt, or some such WTF. I linked to a page showing Senators' assets, and showing Biden as ranking #100 out of 100 Senators in 2006, with a net worth of MINUS $12,000. Without missing a beat, The right-whinger adroitly jumped straight to the opposite tree, accusing Biden of being too stupid to get rich. :ROFLMAO:

The whingers must be desperate to compare Biden with Trump! DJT has swindled his contractors, his investors, and his own family out of billions.

But for me it's a $7 grift that epitomizes the Trump character.
For example, in the crimes of the Trump Foundation, what caught my eye was a $7 "donation" to the Boy Scouts. This coincided with Don Jr.'s becoming a Scout, for which the fee was ... $7. The pettiness of this astounded me! Trump couldn't fork over $7 for his son's Scouthood; he had to let the "charity" pay. And this "fabulously wealthy billionaire" couldn't write a check for $107 to help out the den a little; they "donated" just the $7 membership fee.

Maybe I'm silly, but it is the $7 tax evasion that disgusts me and sums up the Trump family character. Weisselberg's millions in undeclared income is doubtless duplicated, though more intelligently, by many thousands of other businessmen.

Remember when Trump flew to Puerto Rico and "helped out" by tossing toilet paper to the news reporters? Didn't he then send his lackeys around to collect the rolls so he could sell them as souvenirs on Junior's site for $99 a pop? :ROFLMAO:

Second me on WTF? Buffett worth over $100 billion; Pelosi around $50 million, who better at what? Pelosi famous trader....ROTFLMAO...evidence??? Nah, bat shit alt-right delusions....

Second me on WTF? Buffett worth over $100 billion; Pelosi around $50 million, who better at what? Pelosi famous trader....ROTFLMAO...evidence??? Nah, bat shit alt-right delusions....
Let's not forget that Nancy has been married for almost sixty years to Paul Pelosi, who was a successful venture capitalist before Nancy was ever elected to office. He continues that career. They file joint tax returns, etc.

But to listen to some right-wing prattle, anyone who doesn't vote Republican is morally obligated to denounce the stock market. to give all their possessions to the poor, and to marry some black Hispano-Islamic garbage collector in Oshkosh who moonlights as an antifa murderer. (I wish this parody of right-wing "thought" was more than only a slight exaggeration.)

In another thread, whatabout-ism has been taken to a whole new level:
In response to Melania auctioning her pre-worn designer panties* on Ebay, we hear "what about Jill Biden auctioning her own panties?" The fact that Jill didn't do that is irrelevant: by next week a million Americans will think she did!

She is worth $114.7 million https://thesuccessbug.com/nancy-pelosi-net-worth/

But to be fair, there are people claiming she is worth anywhere from 50 million to 250 million searching google. Finding an unbiased source of anything on the internet is pretty difficult but this guy strikes me as only interested in making money and not spinning for political purpose. Here:

For all of us peons, there are supposed to be laws against trading on insider information; example Martha Stewart. In general, society considers it unfair for the people (such as CEO's) to take unfair advantage in the stock market from their insider information. But those laws don't seem to matter to the elites in Washington. Those same elites who make the laws that only we have to follow! Perhaps they are even following the supposed laws they crafted to get around.....but if you want to apologize for them then you are clearly part of the problem!

Last edited:
Reactions: jab
Back
Top Bottom