• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Buy American

H1-B is a scam on Americans. It works for the applicants, though.
I'll also say it is a scam on Americans. I've been lucky to not have been displaced. But I've personally seen two large computer related companies use the H1-B system to bring in below average, to average, skilled IT workers simply to lower wage costs. I've worked with about 20-25 H1-B imported workers, and I'd say just one of them was a sharp IT worker, and he still was no 'rocket scientist'. His skills were still quite available from the US worker pool. The company would just need to cough up at least another $20k a year or so get find one. Most of the ones that I've seen up close, worked long hours, lived in groups in apartments, and sent money back home.

This is all true, but have you thought that maybe US IT is being overpaid? US companies export shitload of IT products, and they would not have been able to do that without import of raw material for IT - indian engineers. If you close that import your export will fall and you lose your job anyway.

I'll also say it is a scam on Americans. I've been lucky to not have been displaced. But I've personally seen two large computer related companies use the H1-B system to bring in below average, to average, skilled IT workers simply to lower wage costs. I've worked with about 20-25 H1-B imported workers, and I'd say just one of them was a sharp IT worker, and he still was no 'rocket scientist'. His skills were still quite available from the US worker pool. The company would just need to cough up at least another $20k a year or so get find one. Most of the ones that I've seen up close, worked long hours, lived in groups in apartments, and sent money back home.

Exactly. I have no problem with bringing in the best and brightest. I have a problem with bringing in average people who will work for less and will work unreasonable hours.

This problem will not go away until these people have descent jobs in their respective countries.

Who else besides Trump? Oh wait, it's Loren. He is a know proponent of buying american and married foreign woman.
I've known 2 loudmouth buy American types over the years and they both had imported wives. It is the loudmouth part that I find ironic...like FFvC today.

It's not necessarily a contradiction. They may have bought their wives from America, if it were legal here.

Exactly. I have no problem with bringing in the best and brightest. I have a problem with bringing in average people who will work for less and will work unreasonable hours.

This problem will not go away until these people have descent jobs in their respective countries.

We can't fix their economies.

Back
Top Bottom