• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

C PAP

bleubird

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
none
Was down in the lesser 48 last week for family meet-up.My sister had a spare c pap machine,so I tried it out.I knew I had sleep apnea (sp)but did not want go though the sleep doc (racket)thing.Now I can not live without it.
Anyone else.

I'm glad you started this thread.

The bloke I work for snores like a train and is always tired.

On the couple of nights a week I don't sleep there I leave my machine because a. I can't be bothered lugging it back and forth, b. I enjoy the unencumbered sleep, c. I'm relatively sure I'm not increasing my chances of dementia much. :D

I've been wondering whether to encourage him to borrow it to see if it helps, but it feels a bit like handing him a prescription drug he may not need.

If it didn't kill you it probably won't kill him. :)

The only real difference it made to me is that I am unlikely to drop off if I sit down to read a book in the afternoon. I still have to be aware of the chance of falling asleep if I drive for more than an hour or so, so I was a little disappointed at the outcome of getting mine.

Everyone I know that uses a cpap machine is grateful for the improved quality of sleep they enjoy. I use one, even though I really do not like the discipline of a mask and the consequent reduction in spontaneous sexual activity.

Sexual activity, spontaneous or otherwise, isn't one of the things I have to plan for, but I do get woken up at 3 in the morning by small people who've had a nightmare or wet the bed, etc. That mask rips off in no time flat.

About three years ago, I fell asleep while driving. I went of the road at about 100 KPH after grazing another vehicle and taking out a sign. Fortunately I wasn't hurt. The first thing I did, after calling my insurance agent and a lawyer (I was charged with Dangerous Driving) was to see my doctor. He sent me to a sleep testing centre.

Turned out my apnoea was "severe', more than thirty-five arousals per hour. (That doesn't mean what it did when I was seventeen.) I've been using the CPAP pretty regularly since. Now it's down to two. I still haven't killed myself driving - as a matter of fact, I got off the DD charge.

Sounds like you might have sleep apnoea alright. See a doctor if you need confirmation. Here it was free (covered) with a referral from my doctor.

About three years ago, I fell asleep while driving. I went of the road at about 100 KPH after grazing another vehicle and taking out a sign. Fortunately I wasn't hurt. The first thing I did, after calling my insurance agent and a lawyer (I was charged with Dangerous Driving) was to see my doctor. He sent me to a sleep testing centre.

Turned out my apnoea was "severe', more than thirty-five arousals per hour. (That doesn't mean what it did when I was seventeen.) I've been using the CPAP pretty regularly since. Now it's down to two. I still haven't killed myself driving - as a matter of fact, I got off the DD charge.

Sounds like you might have sleep apnoea alright. See a doctor if you need confirmation. Here it was free (covered) with a referral from my doctor.
not free for me under the ACA. My premium is going to go from 300 USD to 700USD Jan 2016.For catastrophic insurance.

Mine cost me A$2000 plus about $300 for the testing. The actual doctor was free under our system.

When I was in the hospital, they told me to use a CPAP machine.

I simply could not sleep with the damn thing on.

When I was in the hospital, they told me to use a CPAP machine.

I simply could not sleep with the damn thing on.
It can be hard at first.And,still sometimes I go without.But,for the most part I can do it most times I need sleep.For me it was the need to do something about my poor sleep.And, a brother and sister that have had great help with cpap.I have hypertension and there is good evidence that apnea can be a major factor.

Back
Top Bottom