• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

CA Reparations Task Force

Oh no not yelling. How will we survive. :rolleyes:

This from the "It's okay to sack the national capital if you're white and angry" Party.... civility from thee but not from me, eh?

We sold kidnapped children. For use in sex, and for hard labor. It's okay to show a little anger when talking about something like that.
Speak for yourself. I did no such thing! And I do not see why people who look a certain way should be punished to make people who look a certain other way rich.
No, but your government did. Your taxes and the benefits they provide you and others do not exist in a vacuum, or beyond some magical barrier after which history no longer matters.

Excuse me? California never was a slaveholding state. I only got here recently so the kidnapping and raping went on long before I arrived.
You are very, very misinformed. The keeping of African slaves was tolerated until 1850; just not sale. Both ownership and sale of Native Americans was permitted until 1937. And as with the entirety of the country, enslavement of prisoners remains legal, though California has voluntarily instituted law requiring that prisoners be paid... in most circumstances. There is currently a proposed measure to amend California's constitution to clearly and unequivocally outlaw slavery in the state, but it is proving difficult to bring it to an actual vote, due to the aforementioned "prisoner exception" and the unwillingness of legislators to let go of involuntary servitude, even if it is technically compensated.

Would it be better if these reparations were coming from the federal government, not the state? Yes. But even these reparations to our own state's citizens are highly unlikely to actually be made, let alone action at the national level. And as a newcomer to the state you may not realize this about our common culture, but Californians hold as a very central tenet that if and when the federal government cannot be relied upon, it falls to Californians to take care of one another to the best of our abilities even if that means assuming some responsibilities normally borne by national governments. If you disagree, I will note that there are 49 other states you could choose to live in without even needing to renew your passport. Or even, if you want even less legal protection, some assorted imperial territories.

ffs, California wasn't even a state until 1850. Get your reparations off Mexico or Spain or whatever.
You and those like you will one day be a sad and forgotten chapter of our state history as well...

Do you seriously not even know the very basics of fourth grade California history?

Oh no not yelling. How will we survive. :rolleyes:

This from the "It's okay to sack the national capital if you're white and angry" Party.... civility from thee but not from me, eh?

We sold kidnapped children. For use in sex, and for hard labor. It's okay to show a little anger when talking about something like that.
Speak for yourself. I did no such thing! And I do not see why people who look a certain way should be punished to make people who look a certain other way rich.
No, but your government did. Your taxes and the benefits they provide you and others do not exist in a vacuum, or beyond some magical barrier after which history no longer matters.

Excuse me? California never was a slaveholding state. I only got here recently so the kidnapping and raping went on long before I arrived.
You are very, very misinformed. The keeping of African slaves was tolerated until 1850; just not sale. Both ownership and sale of Native Americans was permitted until 1937. And as with the entirety of the country, enslavement of prisoners remains legal, though California has voluntarily instituted law requiring that prisoners be paid... in most circumstances. There is currently a proposed measure to amend California's constitution to clearly and unequivocally outlaw slavery in the state, but it is proving difficult to bring it to an actual vote, due to the aforementioned "prisoner exception" and the unwillingness of legislators to let go of involuntary servitude, even if it is technically compensated.

Would it be better if these reparations were coming from the federal government, not the state? Yes. But even these reparations to our own state's citizens are highly unlikely to actually be made, let alone action at the national level. And as a newcomer to the state you may not realize this about our common culture, but Californians hold as a very central tenet that if and when the federal government cannot be relied upon, it falls to Californians to take care of one another to the best of our abilities even if that means assuming some responsibilities normally borne by national governments. If you disagree, I will note that there are 49 other states you could choose to live in without even needing to renew your passport. Or even, if you want even less legal protection, some assorted imperial territories.

ffs, California wasn't even a state until 1850. Get your reparations off Mexico or Spain or whatever.
You and those like you will one day be a sad and forgotten chapter of our state history as well...
What ever that means I do not know or care.

Do you seriously not even know the very basics of fourth grade California history?
Since I am a recent arrival, I do not have an in-depth knowledge of California or the USA. But I do know that I'm not paying reparations for shit that went on hundreds or years ago.

Since I am a recent arrival, I do not have an in-depth knowledge of California or the USA. But I do know that I'm not paying reparations for shit that went on hundreds or years ago.
Correct. You are not.

But the state - which I presume you are a voluntary citizen of - might.

Correct. You are not.

From where does the state conjure up funds for reparations? Ah yes, the LIVING tax payers.

It's a moo point as this stupid stunt by Newson is not going to fly.

Correct. You are not.

No they won’t. I’m sorry to say but TS is correct. Reparations isn’t going to happen. We can’t even give out affirmative action anymore. The teaching of black history is being banned in some states. And etc. The country has moved to the right sadly on these and other cultural issues. And of course I fully expect republicans to continue race baiting and scarring white people with this. Discussing reparations is political gold for the right.

Back
Top Bottom