• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

California May Have a Random Celebrity Republican as Governor Soon

Colleges in general are often viciously attacked in the press for "forcing" young people to get advanced degrees when "you can make perfectly good money" doing other skilled trades, but I don't see a corresponding boom in young people actually pursuing those trades... not in urban or rural contexts.

Colleges in general are often viciously attacked in the press for "forcing" young people to get advanced degrees when "you can make perfectly good money" doing other skilled trades, but I don't see a corresponding boom in young people actually pursuing those trades... not in urban or rural contexts.
All I can tell you is why I didn't: the problems in pluming are all solved. It is "learn this rote of skills and then do them the same way forever".

I got an advanced degree mostly because I wanted to make work out of understanding new things rather than just doing the same thing. I don't like having to negotiate or leverage people either.

And, you can't make a name for yourself as a plumber unless that name is Mario, or unless you're willing to build a pyramid.

Much of the same problems exist for being an "electrician". There is no money nor even desire for someone who "figures out new things". Building code means for a fact that you CANNOT do "new things".

And the red states wonder why all their kids move away to CA and NY the second they get a college degree or master a skilled trade. Some of us actually like living in nice places tyvm.
Both CA and NY lost a Congressional seat, which means they lost population relative to the rest of the country.
As to "nice places"? CA has climate going for it, but governance is absolute shit. Literally in the case of the homeless shitting all over San Francisco.

Back
Top Bottom