• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Calling someone the "N" word

Jason Harvestdancer

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Wiccan
In fact, it is calling someone a "Nazi". Something that happens often, when coming from the "left", but apparently when comging from the "right" suddenly makes us reconsider the use of the "N" word and if calling people it is somehow a threat to democracy.

Anna Soubry urges police action after 'Nazi taunts' outside Parliament
MP Anna Soubry responds to "Nazi" chant abuse
'You're on the side of Hitler': Anna Soubry accosted by pro-Brexit supporters

Calling someone a "Nazi" is now considered "deplorable."

Anna Soubry abuse reflects the deplorable state of politics today

It is interesting. When the taunt comes from people who show their bravado by throwing trashcans, that is considered acceptable. When the taunt comes from the "far right", such as from pro-Brexit, suddenly it is evidence if a deep problem.

Nigel Farage wonders why this is such a big deal.

Nigel Farage Responds To Anna Soubry Protest Arrest

Apparently if someone from the "far right" calls you a Nazi, that's something that the police should investigate.

Police probe far-right ‘yellow vest’ group that intimidated Anna Soubry

So, is it actually a bad thing when a protestor calls someone a Nazi? Or is it only bad depending on who is doing it?

Senior Met officers have studied the group’s own video, which shows them harassing the pro-Remain MP, and believe a public order offence may have been committed.

It has nothing to do with calling somebody names.

When I read some of the links, it is clear that the name calling is not reason, in and of itself, for call for the police to investigate. It is the screaming and harassment that has prompted the concern for the safety of MPs. Ms. Soubry has received death threats. The murder of MP Jo_Cox by a neo-Nazi sympathizer in 2016 gives reason for such concerns.

It has something to do with calling people names only so far as she herself objected to being called a "Nazi" and asked that to be ended. Whether anybody did anything for that reason, or for other reasons is another question.

She made this complaint after she herself has called people "Nazis", as have many others, including some here. There is a dark humour in seeing that turn right around on such people, which is why this is getting so much play.

It has something to do with calling people names only so far as she herself objected to being called a "Nazi" and asked that to be ended. Whether anybody did anything for that reason, or for other reasons is another question.

She made this complaint after she herself has called people "Nazis", as have many others, including some here. There is a dark humour in seeing that turn right around on such people, which is why this is getting so much play.

Thank you. You understood it.

Given they're dead and stuff.

So a living person who calls themselves a Nazi and believes in Nazi principles is not really a Nazi?

You have to control Germany to be a Nazi?

I usually want to see them do something like march an army into the Sudetenland or start rounding up the Jews before considering someone a *real* Nazi.

If you just put on costumes and blather a bit you're more of a Nazi wannabe.

Reactions: WAB
Given they're dead and stuff.

So a living person who calls themselves a Nazi and believes in Nazi principles is not really a Nazi?

You have to control Germany to be a Nazi?

I usually want to see them do something like march an army into the Sudetenland or start rounding up the Jews before considering someone a *real* Nazi.

If you just put on costumes and blather a bit you're more of a Nazi wannabe.

That is Nazi's with power.

Hardly proof there cannot be Nazi's without power.

And yes they want power.

So there's nothing inherently wrong with someone on "the far right" calling someone a Nazi?
It is just as inherently wrong as someone misrepresenting a situation to make some arcane point.

Is there anything wrong with people being shouted at and jostled as they try to enter a building - because that was her major concern. And it seems to have slipped from the OP's radar.

The thread is actually about "OMG she was called a Nazi" and all the coverage of that event.
The coverage of the event was also about the physical harassment. Given the murder of a MP about 2 years ago by an alleged neo-Nazi sympathizer, the coverage by the British press is understandable.
People who dish it out seem to have a hard time taking it.
I'm sorry, I thought the thread was about something more substantial than an attempt to point out some perceived hypocrisy.

So there's nothing inherently wrong with someone on "the far right" calling someone a Nazi?

Ethics aside, it would almost always factually wrong for someone on the far right to attack someone as a "Nazi", since far right ideology objectively shares most of the features of Naziism when used in the derogatory sense.

It can be inaccurate hyperbole to derogate a person to the right of oneself as a Nazi, but it can and sometimes is largely accurate.
In contrast, it is inherently always nonsensical to derogate a person to the left of oneself as a Nazi. A more valid parallel to calling a rightist a Nazi would be to call a leftist a Marxist.

Do those here who object to calling rightist "Nazis" equally object to calling leftists "Marxists"?

s

Ethics aside, it would almost always factually wrong for someone on the far right to attack someone as a "Nazi", since far right ideology objectively shares most of the features of Naziism when used in the derogatory sense.

It can be inaccurate hyperbole to derogate a person to the right of oneself as a Nazi, but it can and sometimes is largely accurate.
In contrast, it is inherently always nonsensical to derogate a person to the left of oneself as a Nazi. A more valid parallel to calling a rightist a Nazi would be to call a leftist a Marxist.

Do those here who object to calling rightist "Nazis" equally object to calling leftists "Marxists"?

It depends on what your compass says. To me, being a leftist means you are critical of capitalism itself, which is hard to do with out at least invoking Marx in spirit. To be on the right, though, you don't need to have any particular opinion about Jews. You just have to view people as having innate differences in ability that are best revealed and sharpened through competition, whether in a war or a market. That's compatible with thinking a certain race has innately lower ability, but it's less of a requirement than Marx is for those critical of capitalism. I guess left anarchists are not technically Marxist, but they agree with him on more than they disagree.

Wait, so calling someone a Nazi is now unethical behavior and insults are things we shouldn't be doing? Suddenly. And Jason, you never did that before?

Hmmmmm.....

Wait, so calling someone a Nazi is now unethical behavior and insults are things we shouldn't be doing? Suddenly. And Jason, you never did that before?

Hmmmmm.....

My OP was reporting someone other than me whining about being called a Nazi and that person saying it was unethical to do so. Of course the person doing the whining was known for doing to others it quite often.

I didn't say you shouldn't refer to Nazis as Nazis.

Back
Top Bottom