• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Calorie intake among low, normal and obese people pretty much the same

However, calorie intake from carbs have increased in the population proportionately to the rise in obesity rates. In other words, overweight people do not typically EAT more than the average weight person - can we shake this lazy and undisciplined stereotype?

No "we" can't. Fat people are fat for a reason, they eat crap and too much of it.

You are absolutely, unequivocally, beyond any shadow of doubt WRONG.
However, calorie intake from carbs have increased in the population proportionately to the rise in obesity rates. In other words, overweight people do not typically EAT more than the average weight person - can we shake this lazy and undisciplined stereotype?

No "we" can't. Fat people are fat for a reason, they eat crap and too much of it.

You are absolutely, unequivocally, beyond any shadow of doubt WRONG.

If you replace "crap" by "carbs", he is saying basically the same thing as you.

But 'fat' people, thin people and normal people are eating the SAME AMOUNT so therefore his point is bullshit. In addition, according to another article activity levels are similar among all three groups as well. So it seems more likely that obesity may have to do with the type of calorie and how it effects the individuals physiologic makeup as opposed to 'they eat too much, exercise too little' crap.

But 'fat' people, thin people and normal people are eating the SAME AMOUNT so therefore his point is bullshit. In addition, according to another article activity levels are similar among all three groups as well. So it seems more likely that obesity may have to do with the type of calorie and how it effects the individuals physiologic makeup as opposed to 'they eat too much, exercise too little' crap.

True, not all calories are the same but the basic principle, if you eat crap, lots of it and don't exercise, you will get fat.

True, not all calories are the same but the basic principle, if you eat crap, lots of it and don't exercise, you will get fat.

I know what they tell you to think on FOX News, but must you jump to that blame the victim thing every time? The evidence is still coming in on this topic, it's way too early to form much of a conclusion either way, yet you reflexively take the conservative ideological position.

If obesity rates remained consistent overall, you might be justified in the blame the victim mentality, but you know that obesity rates have been climbing for a long time in multiple countries. That suggests something systemic at play here, and all the scientists looking at this don't have any solid answers to give yet. If it were just a matter of personal responsibility, the research would have showed that by now and scientists would be saying as much. Instead they keep telling us "No consensus yet."

Why would... Oh. Right. Sorry I didn't think of this before.

The reason the consensus of medical research scientists who study this issue don't agree with your scientific opinion is because they are all part of a conspiracy against you, right? I mean why else would they disagree with your assessment unless there was some kind of conspiracy? Is this perhaps a liberal plot to promote "political correctness" and deny "personal responsibility"? A plot by scientists to get more research dollars? A conspiracy against skinny people?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21310830

This article isn't saying what you think it's saying.

What it's saying is this:

- energy intake has gone up about equally amongst all weight groups

What it doesn't say is this:

- weight groups all consume the same amount of energy

In other words people of all weight classes eat more than they used to, but the article doesn't touch on the reference point of each weight group.

As to the assertion that 'calorie in-take amongst weight groups is pretty much the same' as a standalone argument, I just don't buy it. Doing a quick survey of the people I work with alone provides a pretty strong correlation between weight/diet. The opposite being true just doesn't make sense, as it's literally calorie count that has the biggest affect on weight-gain.

I've removed your condescending and inaccurate bullshit. It's tedious and unnecessary.

If obesity rates remained consistent overall, you might be justified in the blame the victim mentality, but you know that obesity rates have been climbing for a long time in multiple countries. That suggests something systemic at play here, and all the scientists looking at this don't have any solid answers to give yet. If it were just a matter of personal responsibility, the research would have showed that by now and scientists would be saying as much. Instead they keep telling us "No consensus yet."

People that eat crap and too much of it and don't exercise are systematically getting fatter. It's not complicated or controversial.

I've removed your condescending and inaccurate bullshit. It's tedious and unnecessary.

People that eat crap and too much of it and don't exercise are systematically getting fatter. It's not complicated or controversial.

Why no consensus yet? No funding for study until more recently. No interest in nutrition. No money in healthy people.
In the interim, must rely on commonsense. I'll err on the side of TSwizzle.

These fat acceptance people are basically arguing against the laws of thermodynamics. That fat on obese people is stored energy. Where is that energy coming from? If they are ingesting the same calories and exercising the same as thin people? If you can harness the source of that energy just popping into our universe we wouldn't even need cold fusion to solve the energy crisis.

These fat acceptance people are basically arguing against the laws of thermodynamics. That fat on obese people is stored energy. Where is that energy coming from? If they are ingesting the same calories and exercising the same as thin people? If you can harness the source of that energy just popping into our universe we wouldn't even need cold fusion to solve the energy crisis.

The body reacts differently to different types of food, and so uses them to build and repair, and perhaps excrete any extras, or stores them as fat depending on what you eat.
See eg the experiment this guy did:
http://live.smashthefat.com/why-i-didnt-get-fat/
http://live.smashthefat.com/why-i-did-get-fat/

It's not that the laws of thermodynamics are wrong, or that "calories in minus calories out" does not apply; it's that the majority of the "calories out" side of the equation is not under your conscious control.

The body reacts differently to different types of food, and so uses them to build and repair, and perhaps excrete any extras, or stores them as fat depending on what you eat.

It's not that the laws of thermodynamics are wrong, or that "calories in minus calories out" does not apply; it's that the majority of the "calories out" side of the equation is not under your conscious control.

No. His is not really eating what he stares. As someone in the comments pointed out: his calculation of energy intake is too high.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21310830

This article isn't saying what you think it's saying.

What it's saying is this:

- energy intake has gone up about equally amongst all weight groups

What it doesn't say is this:

- weight groups all consume the same amount of energy

In other words people of all weight classes eat more than they used to, but the article doesn't touch on the reference point of each weight group.

As to the assertion that 'calorie in-take amongst weight groups is pretty much the same' as a standalone argument, I just don't buy it. Doing a quick survey of the people I work with alone provides a pretty strong correlation between weight/diet. The opposite being true just doesn't make sense, as it's literally calorie count that has the biggest affect on weight-gain.
I disagree.

According to a 2011 study(link is external) published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition--hardly a bastion of fat acceptance--there is very little difference in the way thin people and fat people eat in terms of nutrition and calorie intake. All categories of people in the study—"normal" weight, "overweight," and "obese"—consumed more calories in 2006 than comparable subjects in 1971. The differences between intake in each weight category were small, and nutritional profiles were similar. In other words, we're all eating more than we used to, but overweight and obese people, at least in this study, are not eating substantially more than thin people(link is external).

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blo...azy-gluttonous-says-world-health-organization

It's quite possible that the way each body processes this 'energy' is different among individuals - much of which is out of the control of the individual. Can small differences be made? Sure, but likely not significant enough (your body will adjust itself to what it is genetically predisposed to) to change the classification of 'overweight, normal, thin, obese).

No. His is not really eating what he stares. As someone in the comments pointed out: his calculation of energy intake is too high.

Athough even that comment admits he ate 3,500 - 4,000 calories per day - which is surely a surplus - and still (at least according to his waist measurements) lost body fat.

It's quite possible that the way each body processes this 'energy' is different among individuals - much of which is out of the control of the individual. Can small differences be made? Sure, but likely not significant enough (your body will adjust itself to what it is genetically predisposed to) to change the classification of 'overweight, normal, thin, obese).

Obesity has skyrocketed as the the total amount of energy from food has increased. It's right there in your study. There is of course something overweight people can do, and that is change their eating habits significantly to more mirror the eating habits from the 70s. Indeed, the 70s probably already represented bad eating habits, so there is certainly much more room for that to improve. That some people can maintain a lower weight and still eat like people today doesn't mean that overweight and obese people are genetically determined to be so. The vast majority would respond to changes in their diet.

I am an example of such a person. If as a 28-year-old male I don't keep my calorie intake below 2000 calories (ideally closer to 1500) I will start gaining weight. I've had to control my weight ever since I was a kid. I've been fat and skinny.

I am an example of such a person. If as a 28-year-old male I don't keep my calorie intake below 2000 calories (ideally closer to 1500) I will start gaining weight. I've had to control my weight ever since I was a kid. I've been fat and skinny.
Have you ever tried eating a high calorie but very low carb diet?

I've been fat in the past, but since almost completely giving up carbs in May last year, my weight completely regulates itself however much I eat, or however little exercise I do. I wouldn't describe myself as skinny now, though - lean and muscular would be more like it.

I used to work beside a really fat woman. She would say she couldn't understand why she was so overweight and fat, "I eat like a bird" she would say. I was walking past her cubicle one day and saw her packing away Cheetos, donuts and washing it down with soda. It wasn't even lunchtime ! Yeah, she ate like a bird alright, a gannet.

Birds have very high metabolisms and eat high calorie diets for their size. She was ironically being truthful.

I know people can have different metabolisms but the point is if your body is storing excess fat you can cut back your caloric intake. Walruses eat healthy calorie appropriate diets yet pack on lots of fat because that what their lifestyle demands due to living in the cold ocean. Humans don't have that need for blubber. And they need to stop eating the high sugar and highly processed foods.

Back
Top Bottom