• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Can a new Cold War be avoided?

p.s. can I have a job spreading Kremlin propaganda on the internet? I promise I'll never say anything bad about Russia!
That's Mother Russia to you and all good Russians around the world long to be held close to her bosom.

I live in a neighborhood that has a significant Russian American population and there is a glimmer of truth to TV's remarks. We don't need to fuel these conflicts by shipping war materiel to one side. We need to only contribute to peaceful purposes in these regions. We are not doing that....even spying Angela Merkel....just as well known example. When it comes to cloak and dagger operations, the U.S. puts Putin to shame. Seriously what I am hearing from Russians Americans in my neighborhood is that they think all of Ukraine ought to be part of Russia. I have heard this from no less than five Russian Americans of Armenian ethnicity. We do not have widespread knowledge of what our government it doing in the world and we receive such skewed news on our mainstream media it is a mystery just what is the truth. The same applies to the application of justice in places the average american truly does not know. It is not our place to unilaterally dispense steel and fire justice into situations we may very well not understand.

Peace without justice is not a worthwhile goal. Peace that is achieved through the appeasement of a warmongerer is not lasting peace. I don't know why you seem to think that both 'sides' are on equal footing in this matter. One side's going around invading and stealing territory... and the other side, is not. In that context talking about how we need to 'get out' and how peace *must* be the goal just harkens back to the likes of Chamberlain.

We have warmongers on both sides of the fence. That is what I am trying to tell you. We will count ourselves lucky if we can just get peace. Your idea of justice is what requires you to play a game and you are led by fear mongers and betrayers on your side as much as these enemies you hate. Ukraine started out being part of the Soviet Union. All of its citizens were once called Russians. The establishment of Ukraine as an independent nation was the forced separation of that area from Russia. The map merely demonstated a portion of the Soviet Union. Some of the people within that area regarded themselves more as Russians than Ukrainians. That shouldn't be too hard for you to understand. Ukraine was the product of a gentleman's agreement. The U.S. violated the agreement and so did NATO. Ukraine had no referendum in the beginning of its short life as a soverign country. While I do think Putin is a slimy run of the mill politician, I do understand his concern and the inexorable press of NATO against the borders of Russia. You should understand that too. You really don't believe in democracy when you refer to illegitimate referendums and only recommend military threats to solve problems. Putin may be an ass, but he is not Hitler. You need to stop letting politicians stir up your fear and loathing of foreign politicians without questioning your own politicians,

Ukraine may have been assumed to be part of Russia and Ukrainians may have been called Russians, by pig ignorant Americans, but that doesn't imply that the locals felt themselves to be Russian. Eastern Ukraine was Russian within the last century; western Ukraine was part of the Austro-Hungarian empire. Neither part was Soviet until forced to be. The whole region has a massively complex history.

Americans would be much more effective as a superpower if they stopped trying to tell people how simple their history is, and started trying to understand its complexity.

Both sides are right; and both are wrong. Nobody is wearing the black or white hats to tell us who are the baddies, and who are the goodies.

Peace isn't easy, and history isn't simple. Sad but true. Pretending it ain't so helps nobody.

Russian provocations on the rise: Is it a new Cold War?
http://edition.cnn.com/interactive/2014/11/world/russia-west/?hpt=hp_c5

Russia_West_Map.jpg

No strategic gain can be gleaned from this, save to create havoc for power more than wishing to slice up the world. Or at the least, he is a braggadocio, more like a LatinAmerican bully-image dictador, wishing his hysterical arm-waving will assure his continued hold of power domestically and either compensate for his lack of self-esteem or enact his narcissistic personality disorder... in which case, or whatever of the cases, showering him with gestures of honor and respect will not appease him.

Who is "we"?? The US is in Korea; while the Russians are in Ukraine. Anyway, you and funinspace are attempting to derail the thread. I'd like to redirect the topic to can a new cold war be avoided?
LOL…really? first questioning the cost, and then asking you to clarify what you think a new and improved cold war would entail, is derailing a thread about “can a new cold war be avoided”? Oky doky, have fun with your soapbox…

We have warmongers on both sides of the fence. That is what I am trying to tell you.

No shit, that isn't news and it isn't relevant. The fact that there's warmongers on both sides doesn't mean "hey, it's all the same", and it doesn't mean we should just let Russia do whatever the hell it wants in the region.

Your idea of justice is what requires you to play a game and you are led by fear mongers and betrayers on your side as much as these enemies you hate.

First of all, my idea of justice isn't a game; nor am I led by fear mongers or betrayers on "my side". My idea of justice is to not let big bullies like Russia run rampant, stealing territory from other countries and generally acting like gigantic assholes. My idea of justice means that we, the international community, must draw a line in the sand and use whatever pressure we can to stop countries from doing this sort of thing; regardless of what country that is. Contrary to what you seem to be saying, peace is NOT something we need to have at all cost. What we need is a FAIR world. Peace is "easy", just run away whenever someone does something bad, and hope they never find you so they can do it to you too. Fairness on the other hand, requires us to risk the peace in order to make a stand.

Ukraine started out being part of the Soviet Union.

No, it didn't. The Russians were just the most recent to conquer the territory by force.

All of its citizens were once called Russians.

Only in the same sense that Dutch people were once called French because Napoleon annexed our country. That didn't make us French. The Ukrainians did NOT used to be called Russians; they've been called many things. Kievans, Cossacks, you name it. Russians is hardly something they've called themselves for any length of time.

The establishment of Ukraine as an independent nation was the forced separation of that area from Russia.

Independent nations existed in the area long before Russia did.

Some of the people within that area regarded themselves more as Russians than Ukrainians. That shouldn't be too hard for you to understand.

We will never know, since these people were not given the benefit of a peaceful and independent referendum, but rather one rushed through by a foreign occupation force.

Ukraine was the product of a gentleman's agreement. The U.S. violated the agreement and so did NATO.

Neither the US nor NATO has violated any agreement in regards to this matter. Contrary to the pro-russian's claim, there was never an agreement that NATO not expand eastwards. I've addressed this extensively in other threads; the idea that such an agreement was in place is a fiction that's demonstrably false.

You should understand that too.

I understand that whatever his motivations, they do not excuse his behavior.

You really don't believe in democracy when you refer to illegitimate referendums and only recommend military threats to solve problems.

Is this a joke? The only illegitimate referendum and military threats used were used by Russia in Crimea.

Putin may be an ass, but he is not Hitler.

Establishing a fact nobody has ever questioned.

You need to stop letting politicians stir up your fear and loathing of foreign politicians without questioning your own politicians,

I don't listen to my politicians, I question them every day, and I certainly haven't had my 'fear and loathing' stirred up.

What I *do* do, is pay actual attention to what's happened in the region, what Putin's done and what's going on his own country, and I notice the obvious historical parallels. What *you* need to do is to be less eager to rationalize Russia's conquests and behaviour away for the sole reason that you then don't have to deal with the scary world outside your own borders. And you need to stop characterizing people who see Putin as a serious problem as people who fall for the kind of absurd propaganda you may be accustomed to in the US. Newsflash: Yes, Putin is an authoritarian asshole with dangerous ambitions. Recognizing this fact does not make one a sheep who thinks we've always been at war with Eastasia.

I live in a neighborhood that has a significant Russian American population and there is a glimmer of truth to TV's remarks. We don't need to fuel these conflicts by shipping war materiel to one side. We need to only contribute to peaceful purposes in these regions. We are not doing that....even spying Angela Merkel....just as well known example. When it comes to cloak and dagger operations, the U.S. puts Putin to shame. Seriously what I am hearing from Russians Americans in my neighborhood is that they think all of Ukraine ought to be part of Russia. I have heard this from no less than five Russian Americans of Armenian ethnicity. We do not have widespread knowledge of what our government it doing in the world and we receive such skewed news on our mainstream media it is a mystery just what is the truth. The same applies to the application of justice in places the average american truly does not know. It is not our place to unilaterally dispense steel and fire justice into situations we may very well not understand.

So you would advocate we do nothing and let countries be conquered because *you* don't think you know enough about the situation to pick a side. I find your whole stance rather laughably absurd. On the one hand, in this thread, you've tried to argue that Putin and Russia aren't akin to warmongering dictators of the past. On the other hand, you think we should just stand by and do nothing, because some *Russians* in your neighborhood think Ukraine belongs to them. Who gives a shit what the Russians want? If you think it's okay for Russia to do what it wants because Russians think Ukraine belongs to them; then you won't mind if we take back the various parts of the US that used to belong to us because most of us Europeans think of America as just a bunch of colonial upstarts whose land belongs to us.

Of course these Russians are going to tell you they think Ukraine ought to be part of Russia.

Of course their opinion is irrelevant.

If you honestly think we don't know what's going on in the region because those Russians in your neighborhood are telling you the exact same thing we're warning you the Russians want on the whole... then I'm honestly flabbergasted at what kind of point you think you're making; unless your point is that *you* don't know who the actors involved area and what's going on.

That's Mother Russia to you and all good Russians around the world long to be held close to her bosom.

I would think these comments are largely from first generation immigrants. The ethnic density of the neighborhood will determine the rate of assimilation of future generations moving away from such comments. Not absolute of course but by and large.

All of its citizens were once called Russians.

Only in the same sense that Dutch people were once called French because Napoleon annexed our country. That didn't make us French. The Ukrainians did NOT used to be called Russians; they've been called many things. Kievans, Cossacks, you name it. Russians is hardly something they've called themselves for any length of time.
Rusyn! We even have our own flag, though I have no intention of going and fighting for it.

Rusyn! We even have our own flag, though I have no intention of going and fighting for it.

Interesting. Also thanks for the link, it shows that the Ukrainians used to refer to themselves as Ruthenians and NOT Russians (the two terms having similar origins but have diverged significantly, with Ruthenian purposefully used to distinguish themselves from Russians) like Arkirk claimed. I'd forgotten Ruthenia applies to the region as a whole; I'd come to associate it solely with a region in Hungary. It only goes to show the diversity of the region's history and shows a definite series of identities quite separate from that of Russian. Ironically, this too has historical parallels of the sort Arkirk objected to. Russia isn't the only country that has claimed other cultures as being essentially part of their own and thus theirs to boss around, after all. Being told that you're Russian when you don't think of yourself as Russian is just as annoying when you're told that you're German when you don't think of yourself as German.

Russian provocations on the rise: Is it a new Cold War?
http://edition.cnn.com/interactive/2014/11/world/russia-west/?hpt=hp_c5

Russia_West_Map.jpg

No strategic gain can be gleaned from this, save to create havoc for power more than wishing to slice up the world. Or at the least, he is a braggadocio, more like a LatinAmerican bully-image dictador, wishing his hysterical arm-waving will assure his continued hold of power domestically and either compensate for his lack of self-esteem or enact his narcissistic personality disorder... in which case, or whatever of the cases, showering him with gestures of honor and respect will not appease him.

Now overlay THAT MAP with the list of U.S. provocations and ACTUAL ATTACKS...then add in the British, Chinese, French, Israeli, etc...and you have a grand picture of geopolitical pathos...far more confusing than a Rubik's cube. Our approach to these problems is simply a NEW PROBLEM. That is so obvious, yet we are blinded by our own nationalistic bias and just keep doing the same thing over and over. There are other things we could be doing.

Jayjay writes:
Source? Yatsenyuk was the head of the biggest opposition bloc. He was a natural choice for premier in case of any deal.

No he wasn't. The logical choice in a coalition cabinet would have been someone from the majority. Yatsenyuk might have been the logical choice for Deputy Premier, but the EU was pushing Klitschko for that position.
I went back to the transcript, and that's simply not there. There is no mention of Yatsenuyk not being considered the premier by EU or anyone. All they are doing is discussing whether Klitschko and Tyahnybok should be in the government at all, and in particular, whether Klitschko should be a deputy premier "working for Yatseniuk". That strongly implies Yatsenyuk would have been the premier no matter what.

It might be possible that you have some other information apart from the Nuland call. Which is why I asked for a source.

That is exactly what Nuland was complaining about in her phone conversation.

No, she was not. She was clearly just not happy with waiting for EU to get its act together, becasue in fact EU had not broked any deal at the time and would not do so until it was too late.

So you admit that the EU HAD brokered a deal. Why was it too late? Why didn't the West support the deal after Yanukovich fled? That is exactly what Lavrov proposed. Why shouldn't negotiations begin with what has already been negotiated. But Kerry rejected the idea. But why are you asking me for a source for the deal when you already admit that it had happened?
EU brokered a deal after the deadly clashes of February 18th onwards (the deal was struck on February 21st). In other words, EU did absolutely nothing until shit hit the fan. The Nuland phone call was leaked on February 4th, and at that time there was no deal being brokered by EU that I'm aware of.

Actually, I can recall asking for source for the claim that EU did not want Yatsenyuk as premier or that EU had any preference in the matter at all, but I can't recall ever seeing any apart from some article pointing out how Klitschko speaks German. And we've both read the phone call transcript so we both know there is nothing in there that backs up your claim. So what sources are you referring to? I can use google, but I can't read your mind.

The Nuland phone conversation makes that very clear. She wanted Yatsenyuk and the EU was pushing Klitschko.
Go read the transcript again, and quote where it says "EU was pushing Klitschko". I'll give you a hint: It's not there.

Furthermore, the idea that Klitschko should be deputy premier doesn't come from EU, it comes from Yanukovich:
BBC said:
25 January 2014

Ukraine's President Viktor Yanukovych has offered the post of prime minister to opposition leader Arseniy Yatsenyuk.

He also offered former boxer Vitali Klitschko the position of deputy PM.
This is what the announcement is that Nuland is most likely referring to. But as you can see, Yatsenyuk would still have been the premier if Yanukovich's proposal was accepted. And because it was Yanukovich who suggested it, your theory that it would have been natural to have the premier from the ruling coalition is illogical: he could hardly make such a concession publicly and then change his mind and insist on naming his own premier.

The Russian offers are a joke, of course Russia wanted to keep Ukraine away from EU. Russian ambition was and still is a customs union between some former Soviet states that is not unlike the EU in economic terms but tightly controlled from Kreml. Having Ukraine even get closer with trade agreements with EU would be a major setback and Russia is doing all it can to prevent that from happening. This is the only reason why Putin has for now stopped its military advancement: it managed to convince EU to postpone the implementation of the EU-Ukraine association agreement until beginning of 2016 in exchange for a ceasefire (though I doubt it'll hold completely, the separatists have been drooling after Donetsk airport for a while now).

It's the Ukrainians who have violated the cease-fire. They don't deny it. They just claim that Russia is massing troops and that's why they're doing it. But they have offered no evidence to back up their claim. Russia's offer to Yanukovich did not include any requirement that it align with the Eurasian trade pact and there are no European members of that pact except Russia herself. (And perhaps Belarus. I'm not sure, but I don't think even Belarus is it). Russia would not want Ukraine to open herself to Europe and compete with Russian products when Russia is helping Ukraine. But the deal with the EU did not involve any membership in that organization.
The situation in Donetsk is such a mess that there is no way to tell who is breaking the ceasefire and who is just firing back. Amassing troops could be a prelude to Russia taking over the airport or something more, we'll know for sure soon enough, but what is clear is that the ceasefire has not held in certain areas, while it has overall stopped the Russian expansion to Mariupol and towards Crimea.

This whole debacle started with Yanukovich refusing to sign the EU association agreement. It would not have caused any immediate harm to Russia, but it would have ruled out Ukraine's future membership in any customs union, which is why Russia decided that it's worth destabilizing the entire country. Now I think Russia is just waiting for Ukraine to stew and grow disillusioned with the West (because frankly, Ukraine is a basket case economy and it will not get any help from EU or US, and the pendulum is bound to swing back at some point) and fall back to the arms of mother Russia.

And now the "separatists" are bringing in Russian "mercenaries".

Maybe some people believe they are anything other than Russian troops. Not I.

The situation in Donetsk is such a mess that there is no way to tell who is breaking the ceasefire and who is just firing back. Amassing troops could be a prelude to Russia taking over the airport or something more,
Really? Russia taking over? really?
Are you that dutch now?
we'll know for sure soon enough, but what is clear is that the ceasefire has not held in certain areas, while it has overall stopped the Russian expansion to Mariupol and towards Crimea.

This whole debacle started with Yanukovich refusing to sign the EU association agreement. It would not have caused any immediate harm to Russia, but it would have ruled out Ukraine's future membership in any customs union, which is why Russia decided that it's worth destabilizing the entire country. Now I think Russia is just waiting for Ukraine to stew and grow disillusioned with the West (because frankly, Ukraine is a basket case economy and it will not get any help from EU or US, and the pendulum is bound to swing back at some point) and fall back to the arms of mother Russia.
Yes whole mess started with that. Yanukovich refused to sign EU association agreement because it was essentially political death warrant to him. You can't really blame a politician for that. Had he signed it, economy would immediately crater and he would lose reelection.
Funny thing is, maidan people who kicked Yanikovich out refused to sign it too, despite promise to sign it the very next day and despite promised money from EU. The whole thing looks like it was ingeniously designed (by EU) to create a chaos in Ukraine.

You have to understand...these places where these allegedly Russian troops are arriving in are in fact independent republics, so if some Russian troops, tanks, air defenses, and logistical support just happens to show up, it isn't like they're "invading" Ukraine, because these republics are not part of Ukraine and are free to invite Russians in to protect their Russian citizens.

I mean...citizens of these independent republics who are ethnically Russian!

Calling them "separatists" is just wrong...they're not trying to "separate" from anyone at all and are instead trying to join their Russian brothers! We should call them "joiners!" And if these independent republics full of joiners want to be a part of Russia, then clearly anyone who would stop them is a tool of Western media and Ukraine Nazis!

You have to understand...these places where these allegedly Russian troops are arriving in are in fact independent republics, so if some Russian troops, tanks, air defenses, and logistical support just happens to show up, it isn't like they're "invading" Ukraine, because these republics are not part of Ukraine and are free to invite Russians in to protect their Russian citizens.

Calling them "separatists" is just wrong...they're not trying to "separate" from anyone at all and are instead trying to join their Russian brothers! We should call them "joiners!" And if these independent republics full of joiners want to be a part of Russia, then clearly anyone who would stop them is a tool of Western media and Ukraine Nazis!

Regardless of Putin's opinion and even Putin's actions, it seems it would be best if a better partitioning of Ukraine were done and areas could have more autonomy. There is the matter of NATO and the EU meddling in Ukranian affairs and trying to close in on Russia. I frankly think there is a problem with the country of the Ukraine with a fresh coups running things there bought partition for itself. This is no small matter. I think we are going to see a different map come out of this.

Regardless of Putin's opinion and even Putin's actions, it seems it would be best if a better partitioning of Ukraine were done and areas could have more autonomy. There is the matter of NATO and the EU meddling in Ukranian affairs and trying to close in on Russia. I frankly think there is a problem with the country of the Ukraine with a fresh coups running things there bought partition for itself. This is no small matter. I think we are going to see a different map come out of this.

You are okay with the Russians behaving like bullies? The reason why Ukraine and the other eastern European countries are moving towards the West is that the Europe is offering them a better deal! The economic incentives are better and they don't have to worry about being invaded by Europeans! If the Russians would stop treating their neighbors like assholes, they might not be losing them as they are now.

You are okay with the Russians behaving like bullies? The reason why Ukraine and the other eastern European countries are moving towards the West is that the Europe is offering them a better deal! The economic incentives are better and they don't have to worry about being invaded by Europeans! If the Russians would stop treating their neighbors like assholes, they might not be losing them as they are now.
Well, russian ukrainians disagree with you and don't want to "move" toward West.
What are you gonna do with that?

And it seems EU does not offer anything in terms of immediate help to the current government. I think they realized it would be a waste and wait for better conditions.

Reality is, EU is not interested in Ukraine or Georgia for that matter. NATO on the other hand is.
Same thing with Turkey, they want to be in EU, why are they not in EU?

Of course a Cold War could be avoided. But it won't be avoided. And identifying one party as the cause of the problem(s) is akin to identifying which blade of the scissor cut the paper.

Well, russian ukrainians disagree with you and don't want to "move" toward West.
What are you gonna do with that?

And it seems EU does not offer anything in terms immediate help to the current government. I think they realized it would be a waste and wait for better conditions.

The difference is that the west offers friendly economic incentives to the Eastern European countries, while Russia uses force and coercion.

Why even bother calling them Ukrainians? They're Russians, so wherever they choose to live should be part of Russia!

Maybe we could have something where everyone who is Russian - regardless of where they were born or live - could be declared as their own independent sovereign republic?

So if you were a Russian living in New York City, you could declare yourself part of Russia and you'd be justified in inviting vacationing Russian soldiers to defend your apartment building. Of course, the biased press in the decadent West might call you a "separatist" or a "rebel," but what you really are is a Russian just trying to be free from NATO, the US, and any Nazis you happened to encounter.

Back
Top Bottom