• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

can god be evolve?

yeah, there's a lot of really bad SciFi about that.

Then again, there's lots of SciFi that became science.

Let's see. I do remember a movie from before the first moon landing about landing astronauts on the moon. The TV guide entry said 'Science, no longer fiction.' I thought that was cool. Except, it was still a fictionalized account. Russia beat us there.

But there are ooooooodles of scifi stories where they depict evolution as having a goal...for no good reason.
They depict individuals evolving...
They come up with an evolution ray and see 'where humanity is going.' But really, if you hit someone with an evolution ray, they'd just become really, really well adapted to living in the room they're in when the beam hits. Or more scientifically, their offspring (sperm or eggs) would become really, really adapted to the room they're in.

They have shown evolution moving a species in a direction where it's harder to have offspring...

They have shown a species evolving by the loss of the ability to transmit genetic material to a new generation.

Bad SciFi never becomes science. it just becomes something that geeks make fun of.

I must disagree with your hyperbole. I've read and watched lots of SciFi. Very, very, little of it has become science.

Arthur C Clarke or HG Wells..?

Yes, very little of Clarke and Wells' SciFi has become science.

I sense confirmation bias - the tendency to remember the few hits, and forget the many, many, many misses. Hence, your hyperbolic assertion that "lots of SciFi" has become science.

- - - Updated - - -

Are you assuming that evolution has some goal? :consternation2:

Only in the divine sense.

In other words, in the non-sense.

As the thread devolves...

Yes, very little of Clarke and Wells' SciFi has become science.
Oooh, much of Frank Hebert or C.S. Friedman could be fun ;)

I must disagree with your hyperbole. I've read and watched lots of SciFi. Very, very, little of it has become science.

Arthur C Clarke or HG Wells..?
Wells? Like what?
They already had submarines before he wrote about Nemo.
I don't know that invisibility has been developed scientifically.
Martians have not landed.
My time-machine is still in the fantasy stage of development.
Men have been to the moon, but the path to landing men on the moon is not through artillery and there was no carpeting on the ceiling of the lunar lander.
The hybridization of man and animal is not through vivisection.

What came true?

CRAP!
Nemo was Verne. Sorry.
But, still, submarines were 200 years old when Verne wrote his.

On the subject of fiction 'coming true,' i was reminded of the movie 'Notorious.' Alfred Hitchcock.

During WWII, Hitchcock was making a spy movie. He needed something for the spy to be looking for. He had a scene in mind of finding this powerful weapon hidden in a wine bottle. It couldn't be conventional explosives so he pretty much invented an atomic bomb. Not any of the details. He'd heard about them splitting the atom, and uranium was involved somehow, and it might be powerful enough that a wine-bottle full of uranium could be a threatening amount of bomb material.

He had no idea that people were, at that moment, working on the Manhattan Project. he just needed something for the story, and it needed to be something that might-maybe be real enough to be worried if the Nazis had it. And unusual enough that a character had to be worried the Nazis might have it, but unsure. Suspense, you know.

He could have put anything in that wine bottle and still made the movie. Argon for an Argonic Bomb, Selenium for a Selenium Bomb, etc.

But by coincidence he got it right enough that, he claims, the FBI followed him around for a while, trying to figure out how he knew about the Manhattan Project.

Pure coincidence, not fiction coming true.

So?
David?

Do you hve examples of scifi that has come-true?
Anything to support your claim?

Back
Top Bottom