• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Can the American people do anthing about their government that always starts wars?

Will Wiley

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
naturalist
Can the American people do anything about their government that always starts wars?

Is it possible the American people can stop their government starting and being involved in so many wars?

Always?

How many armed conflicts are in progress right now and how many did the US start?

If the US would stop attacking Muslim countries and appearing to be after a crusade (when all it really wanted was their oil) it would help. They've attacked Iran. Iraq, Lebanon, Somalia, and Pakistan and Syria, for a start, besides paying for and supporting totally the Nazis occupying Palestine.

It would help if we stopped electing draft dodgers to the Presidency.

Can the Russian people do anything about their government that always starts wars?

Can the American people do anything about their government that always starts wars?

Is it possible the American people can stop their government starting and being involved in so many wars?

Which recent war are you talking about?

Afghanistan and Iraq come to mind. The US is also involved in a Drone War in Pakistan, and many military operations in the Horn of Africa.

- - - Updated - - -

Can the Russian people do anything about their government that always starts wars?

Talk about a non sequitur.

Anyway, Will Wiley, you can witness Harry, Keith, and Jimmy here, who would be considered pretty liberal in the United States. Their immediate, knee-jerk reaction was to jump to defend the US's militarism. So I would say, there of *course* are many things the public could do. But there is almost zero political will for these things to stop.

Now, this is simply a characteristic of the polity at large. Remember, the US public has been heavily propagandized, starting with WW2, but most importantly, throughout the Cold War.

I don't think this will change until younger generations start supplanting the older ones.

Which recent war are you talking about?

Afghanistan and Iraq come to mind. The US is also involved in a Drone War in Pakistan, and many military operations in the Horn of Africa.

- - - Updated - - -

Anyway, Will Wiley, you can witness Harry, Keith, and Jimmy here, who would be considered pretty liberal in the United States. Their immediate, knee-jerk reaction was to jump to defend the US's militarism. So I would say, there of *course* are many things the public could do. But there is almost zero political will for these things to stop.

Now, this is simply a characteristic of the polity at large. Remember, the US public has been heavily propagandized, starting with WW2, but most importantly, throughout the Cold War.

I don't think this will change until younger generations start supplanting the older ones.

It has nothing to do with defending american militancy. It has everything to do with an inherent distrust they have for Wil though. Also Harry asked a question and an innocuous one at that. You should amend your allegations.

Anyway, Will Wiley, you can witness Harry, Keith, and Jimmy here, who would be considered pretty liberal in the United States. Their immediate, knee-jerk reaction was to jump to defend the US's militarism. .
What'd i defend? I asked if he could clarify his accusation, suspecting it's largely hyperbole. I mean, really, 'always?' There have been entire weeks go by where we didn't start a war. Someone else stared a few and we just chose a side.

It has everything to do with an inherent distrust they have for Wil though.
nicely put...

- - - Updated - - -

Always?

How many armed conflicts are in progress right now and how many did the US start?

I agree with you. America has never started any wars.
That's not my opinion, though.
I just wonder if Wiley knows what he's talking about or if it's just a general anti-American rant of his.

I'd just prefer that he outlines his terms, first. Or maybe it's just a hit and run...

Can the Australian people do anything about their government blindly following a country that always starts wars? What can Australians do to stop their country being a sock puppet for another country's policies?
I'm also perplexed as to what wars America has started. In the last two decades, the only three I can think of were Kosovo. Afghanistan and Iraq. One was instigated by NATO, one had overwhelming, almost unprecedented international support and even Iraq didn't have the US fully "go it alone".

Can the Australian people do anything about their government blindly following a country that always starts wars? What can Australians do to stop their country being a sock puppet for another country's policies?
I think we should follow former Prime Minister Malcolm Fraser's advice and end the US alliance and spend more ourselves, to become more independent.
I do everything I can to promote this idea. It's hard to find politicians to vote for so I am active at a more grass roots level

Well let's see.

2007 - both Houses of Congress change parties
2009 - Presidency changes parties
2011 - House of Representatives changes parties
2015 - Senate changes parties
2017 - Presidency changes parties

About every 2 years control of the government has shifted. Apparently both major parties support the same thing.

That's why voting Third Party is "wasted".

- - - Updated - - -

It has nothing to do with defending american militancy. It has everything to do with an inherent distrust they have for Wil though. Also Harry asked a question and an innocuous one at that. You should amend your allegations.

Their "inherent distrust" for Will is born out of the utter inability to see him as anything other than a Russian 4th column. Because he criticizes American foreign policy.

Harry's "innocuous" question was a transparent attempt at setting Wiley up for a "gotcha"! Probably some semantic quibble over whether it was "a recent war" or whether America "truly started it."

I stand by my allegations.

- - - Updated - - -

What'd i defend? I asked if he could clarify his accusation, suspecting it's largely hyperbole. I mean, really, 'always?' There have been entire weeks go by where we didn't start a war. Someone else stared a few and we just chose a side.

nicely put...

- - - Updated - - -

Always?

I just wonder if Wiley knows what he's talking about or if it's just a general anti-American rant of his.

I'd just prefer that he outlines his terms, first. Or maybe it's just a hit and run...

Your question amounted to a semantic quibble over the use of *always*. From the context, it is clear that Willy does not literally mean "always".

If you want to defend American militarism, or if you'd rather not put it in those terms, give an example of Will's hyperbole on this front, I'd welcome the discussion. But I stand by my original statement.

I'm also perplexed as to what wars America has started. In the last two decades, the only three I can think of were Kosovo. Afghanistan and Iraq. One was instigated by NATO, one had overwhelming, almost unprecedented international support and even Iraq didn't have the US fully "go it alone".

America has been heavily involved in warfare, if not outright "declared wars" for the last two decades. Just since 2010, you can see a summary here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_United_States_military_operations#2010.E2.80.93present

The merits of the individual actions are mixed. But I think the War in Africa, the War in Pakistan (i.e. the Drone War), Iraq, and Afghanistan are all good starting points.

This ignores proxy wars, like Yemen.

Your question amounted to a semantic quibble over the use of *always*.
it didn't amount to that, I do quibble with is use of the word 'always.'
I questioned his use of the word because i think he's making shit up for outrageous effect.
From the context, it is clear that Willy does not literally mean "always".
Then maybe he should say what he really means.
That's what i was asking for, for him to say what he really means AND/OR to show the support for his assertion, if that really IS what he means.
If you want to defend American militarism,
You're the one saying i already have tried to defend American militarism. Seems to me that you're projecting that. I'm just leery about Wiley's goals.
I'm still trying to find out exactly what will thinks he's talking about.

America has been heavily involved in warfare, if not outright "declared wars" for the last two decades. Just since 2010, you can see a summary here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_United_States_military_operations#2010.E2.80.93present

The merits of the individual actions are mixed. But I think the War in Africa, the War in Pakistan (i.e. the Drone War), Iraq, and Afghanistan are all good starting points.

This ignores proxy wars, like Yemen.

And I am perfectly content to have this discussion with you, not with Will. Will has a multitude of potential ulterior motives that makes me leery of dignifying his vague OP with any kind of actual discussion.

- - - Updated - - -

Their "inherent distrust" for Will is born out of the utter inability to see him as anything other than a Russian 4th column.[1] Because he criticizes American foreign policy. [2]

Harry's "innocuous" question was a transparent attempt at setting Wiley up for a "gotcha"![3] Probably some semantic quibble over whether it was "a recent war" or whether America "truly started it." [4]

I stand by my allegations.

- - - Updated - - -

nicely put...

- - - Updated - - -

Always?

Your question amounted to a semantic quibble over the use of *always*. From the context, it is clear that Willy does not literally mean "always".

If you want to defend American militarism, or if you'd rather not put it in those terms, give an example of Will's hyperbole on this front, I'd welcome the discussion. But I stand by my original statement.

1. Glad you agree that their distrust doesn't have anything to do with any supposed love for US militant adventurism then!

2. Prove it. I criticize our foreign policy constantly, you don't see me being treated with such mistrust or wariness.

3. Oh please, Harry isn't anything like Derec or Dismal. He has better things to do with his time than try to twist and turn someone into a cheap "Gotcha!" moment.

4. Probably? How do you know? Seems to me your objections are based on nothing more than your assumptions.

Back
Top Bottom