• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Can the American people do anthing about their government that always starts wars?

Can the American people do anything about their government that always starts wars?

Is it possible the American people can stop their government starting and being involved in so many wars?

Logically the people could vote for a party which will not create havoc around the world with its political crusades. However when the economy is sagging and or popularity dips, then quite often bombing someone ups the ratings.

Can the American people do anything about their government that always starts wars?
Is it possible the American people can stop their government starting and being involved in so many wars?
Possible, but I don't see much impetus in that direction.
In the '60s we marched in the streets and held massive demonstrations. Today we wear flag pins, fawn all over the military and cower from 'terrorists'.

The Princeton study indicated that Congress was completely, 100%, unresponsive to the will of the people, so we're not likely to get anywhere by ordinary political means. http://www.businessinsider.com/major-study-finds-that-the-us-is-an-oligarchy-2014-4

Substantive change has always come with boots in the street, but how this is to be achieved in our present police-surveillance state I don't know.
It would help if we stopped electing draft dodgers to the Presidency.
????

I agree with you. America has never started any wars.
:hysterical:

America has been heavily involved in warfare, if not outright "declared wars" for the last two decades. Just since 2010, you can see a summary here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_United_States_military_operations#2010.E2.80.93present

The merits of the individual actions are mixed. But I think the War in Africa, the War in Pakistan (i.e. the Drone War), Iraq, and Afghanistan are all good starting points.

This ignores proxy wars, like Yemen.
American has been fomenting wars, revolutions and installing pupprt regimes for two centuries. It's not a recent phenomenon. It's what we do.

1. Glad you agree that their distrust doesn't have anything to do with any supposed love for US militant adventurism then!
I think theirs and yours is based off an instinctive reaction to anyone who might see Russia as a better alternative to the US, given the current hysterical anti-Russian climate on these boards.

2. Prove it. I criticize our foreign policy constantly, you don't see me being treated with such mistrust or wariness.
I don't see you criticize our foreign policy constantly. I see untermenche criticize our foreign policy constantly. I see Jason Harvestdancer do it. I also see Wiley do it. But you are relatively new, so it might not be an association I've made. But perhaps I spoke too loosely. The larger issue, the "ulterior motive" you speak of, seems to be that Wiley has at some point seemed to prefer Russia over the US. And **GASP** Trump over Hillary!

This is the ultimate sin.

3. Oh please, Harry isn't anything like Derec or Dismal. He has better things to do with his time than try to twist and turn someone into a cheap "Gotcha!" moment.
Harry is a consistent apologist for the establishment's narrative. His entire MO on these boards is reflexively attacking anything he perceives as pro-Trump, which is a lot of things.

But OK, I'll play, what is the alternative? Is Harry actually just ignorant of the various military conflicts the US engaged in? Was this an honest question?

4. Probably? How do you know? Seems to me your objections are based on nothing more than your assumptions.
The post you've quoted has just that. In response, I got:

I asked if he could clarify his accusation, suspecting it's largely hyperbole. I mean, really, 'always?' There have been entire weeks go by where we didn't start a war. Someone else stared a few and we just chose a side.

So yeah, semantic quibbling over "always" and whether or not the we "really started it".

The premise of Wiley's OP: the US is very frequently engaging in war and militarism around the globe. Honestly, that such an obvious fact is met with immediate resistance speaks volumes. You and others can try to quibble and play "gotcha" over Wiley's phrasing, but the substance is never addressed. Due to nebulous "ulterior motives" he might posses. It seems *you* are the one who are basing your responses on nothing more than your assumptions.

Consider the last thread that Wiley started on the subject:

https://talkfreethought.org/showthread.php?11528-Why-has-America-been-at-war-for-16-years

You'll see more of the same from the usual suspects.

And it is pretty obvious that this reaction to Wiley is entirely due to his opinion during the primary, as a foreigner, that Trump might be less militaristic than Hillary. And what has become abundantly clear is that the liberals on this board care less about what I would consider bed-rock liberal principles than the fact that Trump won, and so, this opinion is entirely unforgivable, and now Wiley must be some sort of agent of the GRU. Just witness the disgusting red-baiting that occurs daily, and the constant insinuations that even established members of this board are just secret Kremlin agents because they have a different opinion on the Russian affaire. People proudly proclaim that they have these people on ignore, because you know, why would anyone want to hear alternative views on political topics? We come here so that we can all agree that Trump is the worst, and that the Russians "hacked our democracy", one of the worst crimes in history!

:rolleyes:

Please. Even if the worst allegations turn out to be true, it is peanuts compared to what the US and most large nations engage in regularly.

America has been heavily involved in warfare, if not outright "declared wars" for the last two decades. Just since 2010, you can see a summary here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_United_States_military_operations#2010.E2.80.93present

The merits of the individual actions are mixed. But I think the War in Africa, the War in Pakistan (i.e. the Drone War), Iraq, and Afghanistan are all good starting points.

American has been fomenting wars, revolutions and installing pupprt regimes for two centuries. It's not a recent phenomenon. It's what we do.

Yep. My post was a direct response to "I'm also perplexed as to Patooka's pos: https://talkfreethought.org/showthr...ys-starts-wars&p=436802&viewfull=1#post436802

Can the Russian people do anything about their government that always starts wars?

Talk about a non sequitur.

Not at all--I was pointing out he's a pot calling the kettle black.

- - - Updated - - -

Well let's see.

2007 - both Houses of Congress change parties
2009 - Presidency changes parties
2011 - House of Representatives changes parties
2015 - Senate changes parties
2017 - Presidency changes parties

About every 2 years control of the government has shifted. Apparently both major parties support the same thing.

That's why voting Third Party is "wasted".

Or maybe it's not something that's realistically controllable.

Islam chose the war. If you fail to respond to the war from the other side you are defeated.

- - - Updated - - -

Can the Australian people do anything about their government blindly following a country that always starts wars? What can Australians do to stop their country being a sock puppet for another country's policies?
I'm also perplexed as to what wars America has started. In the last two decades, the only three I can think of were Kosovo. Afghanistan and Iraq. One was instigated by NATO, one had overwhelming, almost unprecedented international support and even Iraq didn't have the US fully "go it alone".

Afghanistan is clearly a proxy war. It's the US vs the Islamist elements of the ISI. The drone war in Pakistan is part of the same conflict.

Iraq also is to a large degree a proxy war with Iran.

Well let's see.

2007 - both Houses of Congress change parties
2009 - Presidency changes parties
2011 - House of Representatives changes parties
2015 - Senate changes parties
2017 - Presidency changes parties

About every 2 years control of the government has shifted. Apparently both major parties support the same thing.

That's why voting Third Party is "wasted".

Or maybe it's not something that's realistically controllable.

Islam chose the war. If you fail to respond to the war from the other side you are defeated.

There are so many problems with what you wrote.

1. The rhetoric from the US government is that the US is at war with a tactic and not a religion.
2. There's responding, and there's responding intelligently.
3. The changing of parties would indicate a desire on the part of the electorate to change tactics in that war.
4. Victory in his war was never defined so therefore unachievable. If you fail to define victory you are defeated.
5. Our response should be realistically controllable, but as I pointed out the two party system is insulating the government from control.
6. You are starting the "chain of events" in a convenient propagandistic place. My sister used to do that to me. She would hit me, I'd hit her back, then she'd go crying to mom that I hit her. By the time I explained that I was only hitting back it was too late and I had been punished for hitting her.
7. If we assume every government version of events is accurate, it was not any country that attacked the US, but one non-state actor in one country. Attacking that one country was questionable at best, attacking all the other countries has been deliberate aggression.

So many problems in just two sentences.

Right. A bunch of Saudis hijacked some passenger planes because they wanted to start a war. Definitely one of the stupidest things I have heard.

So because some Saudis attacked the USA you attacked Iraq. Iraq that had nothing to do with it. :rolleyes:

Do you have any idea how many innocent women and children you have killed there?

Right. A bunch of Saudis hijacked some passenger planes because they wanted to start a war. Definitely one of the stupidest things I have heard.

So because some Saudis attacked the USA you attacked Iraq. Iraq that had nothing to do with it. :rolleyes:

Do you have any idea how many innocent women and children you have killed there?

Don't you understand?

That handful of Saudi's represents Islam.

They were Allah's holy messengers.

Or maybe just a tiny handful of people that were part of a small group of deluded Muslims?

Many that were trained in the efforts of the US against the Soviet Union in Afghanistan.

Why would we want to?

Why would we want to?

Because they are wasteful and destructive and sooner or later will come back to bite us, maybe even with a mushroom cloud.

Afghanistan and Iraq come to mind. The US is also involved in a Drone War in Pakistan, and many military operations in the Horn of Africa.

- - - Updated - - -

Can the Russian people do anything about their government that always starts wars?

Talk about a non sequitur.
Actually, and largely due to Will’s quite vague opening posting and his regular posturing, it is a good point. But sure, it is a standard kind of Loren response. Sure, the US is the 800lb gorilla and regularly uses its Yuge military muscles for its nefarious purposes. However, Russia is still a 100lb gorilla that also regularly uses its more modest military muscles for its nefarious purposes. Neither issue negates the other…

Anyway, Will Wiley, you can witness Harry, Keith, and Jimmy here, who would be considered pretty liberal in the United States. Their immediate, knee-jerk reaction was to jump to defend the US's militarism. So I would say, there of *course* are many things the public could do. But there is almost zero political will for these things to stop.

Now, this is simply a characteristic of the polity at large. Remember, the US public has been heavily propagandized, starting with WW2, but most importantly, throughout the Cold War.

I don't think this will change until younger generations start supplanting the older ones.

It has nothing to do with defending american militancy. It has everything to do with an inherent distrust they have for Wil though. Also Harry asked a question and an innocuous one at that. You should amend your allegations.

Their "inherent distrust" for Will is born out of the utter inability to see him as anything other than a Russian 4th column. Because he criticizes American foreign policy.
I assume that I don’t have to defend my position on US foreign policy and militarism? I think many see Will as quite flakey, regularly citing various conspiracy theory links and doing lots of nearly incoherent hand waving. Sure, his apparent on/off support for Don the Con didn’t help as he accepted alt-right evaluations of HRC. I have no idea on what his take on Russia is, but his postings suggest that the US is nearly evil, and appears to give a free pass to Russia when challenge. So, one ends up with people reacting with sarcasm/derision when he posts vague rambling stuff. I think it is fairly obvious that is what you are seeing in Keith’s and Jimmy’s responses and not as a defense of “US’s militarism”. I don’t think I’ve ever seen Jimmy ever post significant support for warfare or our bloated military budgets. Since Will has swept me up in his broad brush more than a few times, I've had to re-explain my strong dislike of US foreign policies many times after already stating my view in response to him. It does get old...

Bin Laden specifically said it was about starting a war.

Bin Laden specifically said it was about the Prince Sultan Air Base. Arabia had given America leave to temporarily use Holy Ground in their Gulf War intervention. But after the war the US dug in and began building a massive, permanent air base. Bin Laden made a bid to remove them, but his Saudi family refused, saying they't do it themselves.

9/11 was a direct result of US imperialism.

Bin Laden hoped we would invade and try to occupy Afghanistan. Stupidly, we took the bait. I don't think even he could have hoped they would invade Iraq, which was great for Al Qaeda.

Bin Laden specifically said it was about the Prince Sultan Air Base. Arabia had given America leave to temporarily use Holy Ground in their Gulf War intervention. But after the war the US dug in and began building a massive, permanent air base. Bin Laden made a bid to remove them, but his Saudi family refused, saying they't do it themselves.

It's imperialism to have a base in a nation that welcomes it? Saudi Arabia understood the threat of Iraq wasn't over and while they wanted our military might they didn't want the cultural effects of American soliders--hence an isolated base.

Bid Laden isn't the Saudi government. And note that he had already chosen the path of war at that point.

- - - Updated - - -

Bin Laden hoped we would invade and try to occupy Afghanistan. Stupidly, we took the bait. I don't think even he could have hoped they would invade Iraq, which was great for Al Qaeda.

Bin Laden was expecting the Muslim world to rise up en mass when we came in to stomp on him. It didn't happen.

It's imperialism to have a base in a nation that welcomes it? Saudi Arabia....
The nation did not welcome it, only some in the house of Saud.
According to your logic you yourself aren't part of the nation of America.

If they'd stop lionizing the military and bumping up the President's approval rating every time he slaughters a bunch of defenceless non-white people, that would probably go a long way to moving things in the right direction.

Back
Top Bottom