• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Canadian naturopath claims she gave 4-year-old boy saliva from rabid dog to cure behavioral problems

Potoooooooo

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-saliva/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.9e5accd218c9

A Canadian naturopath claims she treated a 4-year-old boy's behavioral problems with a controversial homeopathic remedy — this is, saliva from a rabid dog.

The recent claims have caused concern in the medical community and prompted questions about why the saliva — known as lyssinum, lyssin or hydrophobinum — has been approved by the Canadian government as a legitimate homeopathic product.

Anke Zimmermann, from Victoria, wrote on her blog in February that she used the saliva last year to treat a preschooler who had been having trouble sleeping and behaving in the classroom. “His preschool is complaining that he hides under tables and growls at people,” she wrote in the post.

Zimmermann said the young child, whom she identified only as Jonah, had been bitten by a dog in the past, and she suspected that may have led to his problems.

“People who need Lyssinum, also known as Hydrophobinum, are often afraid of the dark, of dogs, even of water, have trouble falling asleep and are overly excitable. Aggression can also be a strong feature as can dreams of dogs, wolves and being attacked. This can even develop into full psychosis,” she wrote.

So she prescribed it.

“Within a minute or two of giving him the remedy Jonah smiled at me very broadly and beautifully, as if all the lights had just gone on,” Zimmermann wrote. “We said our goodbyes, and I felt a warm feeling of hope for this boy.”

An ancient belief, both the connection between dog bites and fear of water, and the concept of homeopathic magic to fix it; this one goes back to Julius Caesar's court at least. Luckily in the modern case, the "potentiation" process is almost certain to kill any active pathogens in the saliva, if indeed (as is doubtful) the product actually contains any. (How exactly would they ensure a constant supply? Are there rabies dog farms run by homeopaths somewhere?)

On the flip side, the only benefit this could possibly have would be psychosocial in nature. Well, it might help, if you explained to the child what you were doing and why. But I'd save myself a twenty, personally, and just give the kid sink water.

An ancient belief, both the connection between dog bites and fear of water, and the concept of homeopathic magic to fix it; this one goes back to Julius Caesar's court at least. Luckily in the modern case, the "potentiation" process is almost certain to kill any active pathogens in the saliva, if indeed (as is doubtful) the product actually contains any. (How exactly would they ensure a constant supply? Are there rabies dog farms run by homeopaths somewhere?)

On the flip side, the only benefit this could possibly have would be psychosocial in nature. Well, it might help, if you explained to the child what you were doing and why. But I'd save myself a twenty, personally, and just give the kid sink water.
Actually one drop of saliva from one dog would be enough to supply the world with this preparation for the foreseeable future. Such is the magic of homeopathy.

Peez

Back
Top Bottom