• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Cheating in sports - Specifically the Trour de France

I'm bringing up cycling because it's something I'm familiar with. What are your general thoughts on cheating in sports, Lance Armstrong, and the "un written rules of sports"?

Lance is fairly reviled theses days, as an exercise in Morals and Principals I'll defend him.
Lance doped. Of course, everyone else had doped. So the only person screwed were the poor ole Danny Pate's in the field, who either couldn't afford to dope or actually had a conscience and want to go up mountains to lose in the Tour de France just for the heck of it.

Armstrong's actions are non-defensible. He not only lied about doping, but sued people (and won!) who accused him of doping. You can be fine with him lying about not doping, I suppose, but to sue people for money for telling the truth? That is damning.

I'm bringing up cycling because it's something I'm familiar with. What are your general thoughts on cheating in sports, Lance Armstrong, and the "un written rules of sports"?

Lance is fairly reviled theses days, as an exercise in Morals and Principals I'll defend him.
Lance doped. Of course, everyone else had doped. So the only person screwed were the poor ole Danny Pate's in the field, who either couldn't afford to dope or actually had a conscience and want to go up mountains to lose in the Tour de France just for the heck of it.

Armstrong's actions are non-defensible. He not only lied about doping, but sued people (and won!) who accused him of doping. You can be fine with him lying about not doping, I suppose, but to sue people for money for telling the truth? That is damning.

Lance had that all "American Boy overcomes adversity thing" going for him. Now all he has left is his reputation as a scheming bastard. The lawsuit was absolute height of arrogance.

Back
Top Bottom