• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Chicago pizza

Underseer

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheism, resistentialism
Argh.

I get that pan pizza is the style of Chicago pizza that is most unlike pizza served elsewhere in the world, and so naturally, that's the style of pizza that people outside of Chicago focus on the most. The thing is, if you say "Chicago pizza" to me or most people from the Chicagoland area, pan pizza is not what pops into our heads. I eat pan pizza maybe once a year or so. Don't get me wrong: I like it, but if I ate that stuff regularly, I would be as big as a house. Besides, what's the fun in eating pizza that fills you up after one or two slices?

Comparison to NY Pizza
As a baseline, let's compare Chicago pizza to NY pizza, since that's the closest. No, not the Neapolitan brick oven pizza (it's got Naples right in the name there), the other kind of NY pizza. Take a NY pizza and make the sauce a little bit spicier with a little extra white pepper, then add a thicker layer of pizza sauce to the pizza. When I first came to Chicago, this part annoyed me because it causes the cheese to slide right off when you eat it, but the tradeoff is that you get really big tomato flavor in every bite.

Chicago pizza is traditionally with sausage rather than pepperoni. Chicago was once called the "hog butcher of the world" and I noticed the quality of the sausage on pizza right away when I moved here.

Like NY pizza, the pizza is cooked until the cheese is browned, unlike some other parts of America that seem content to merely melt the cheese.

The last main difference is that the pieces are square cut instead of pie cut. This is not unique to Chicago as many cities in the Midwest do this. With the square cut, there's no need to fold the slices in half like you need to do with NY pizza. You get 3 types of slices out of this cut:

• Corner pieces
    There are 4 on each pizza. They're small, triangular and mostly crust. Ideal for people who like crust.
  • Center pieces
    These interior pieces have no crust whatsoever, and are ideal for people who don't like crust. Because of the lack of crust and the extra pizza sauce, you need to eat them carefully as that cheese is gonna slide right off.
  • End pieces
    These have a crust/pizza ratio more like what people outside the Midwest would consider "normal"

Personally, I love square cut as the pieces are smaller, and it feels like you get more variety between the different kinds of pieces that result from the cut. So you eat more pieces, and you get more variety in the pieces.

This. This is what "Chicago pizza" looks like:
menu-img-4.jpg
Sausage & giardiniera from Rosati's, a pizza chain in the Chicagoland area.

Not this:
pizza-deep-dish.jpg
This is just for those times when you want to gorge yourself silly on mozzarella, or when entertaining guests from out of town.

What prompted this? Well, someone made a crack about "Chicago pizza" and of course he was talking about pan pizza, which made me think of the above. On a lark, I went to Google, searched for "Chicago pizza," clicked the "images" button, and sure enough, it was nothing but pictures of pan pizza. Worse, the one image of thin crust pizza that I saw was pie cut. Blasphemy!

Attachments

• 20140525-294370-best-deep-dish-pizza-art-of-pizza-primary-1500x1125.jpg
    20140525-294370-best-deep-dish-pizza-art-of-pizza-primary-1500x1125.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 2
What prompted this? Well, someone made a crack about "Chicago pizza" and of course he was talking about pan pizza, which made me think of the above. On a lark, I went to Google, searched for "Chicago pizza," clicked the "images" button, and sure enough, it was nothing but pictures of pan pizza. Worse, the one image of thin crust pizza that I saw was pie cut. Blasphemy!

Well it's not by chance, and I think deep dish actually predates the Chicago-style thin crust pizza by a few years.

If you like a tomato-y pizza check out Pizzaria Regina in Boston if you get the chance. The dough is a bit fluffier than you'd get in a NY style pizza and it's able to hold a good deal of sauce without the cheese sliding problem. And if you like toppings, rather than plain cheese, they annihilate your pizza with them.

I did stop by Vito and Nick's on my second trip to Chicago - it was good, but a bit too crispy for me.

Well it's not by chance, and I think deep dish actually predates the Chicago-style thin crust pizza by a few years.

If you like a tomato-y pizza check out Pizzaria Regina in Boston if you get the chance. The dough is a bit fluffier than you'd get in a NY style pizza and it's able to hold a good deal of sauce without the cheese sliding problem. And if you like toppings, rather than plain cheese, they annihilate your pizza with them.

I did stop by Vito and Nick's on my second trip to Chicago - it was good, but a bit too crispy for me.

Ah, so that place is famous because it was featured on Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives.

I watched part of the segment and couldn't help but notice that Guy Fieri was amazed that this one place serves thin crust pizza! That must make them so different from the other Chicago pizza places! Yesiree Bob, I bet those other Chicago pizza joints don't even know how to make thin crust pizza! Isn't it all pan pizza all the time in Chicago?

Ugh.

That kind of bullshit is exactly what triggered my rant.

You can watch the DDD video segment at the Vito & Nick's web site here:

http://vitoandnicks.com/index.php

Because Guy is from California, he doesn't understand that Chicago-style thin crust pizza is the default. Every Chicago pizzeria serves good thin crust pizza. The pan pizza is just a once in a while thing, as I was trying to explain earlier.

That second pizza in your OP doesn't even appeal to me. I'd look at that and expect to find pasta under the sauce.

The first one would work no matter how you sliced it.

On a trip to Chicago many years ago, I had Chicago style pizza. Horrible. Like eating a can of warm pizza sauce. I figured it was an acquired taste. An abomination really.

On a trip to Chicago many years ago, I had Chicago style pizza. Horrible. Like eating a can of warm pizza sauce. I figured it was an acquired taste. An abomination really.

Then I'm guessing that the pizza you're used to eating has very little pizza sauce on it. I seem to remember encountering a lot of cheese-flavored cardboard in the South. Is Texas similar to the South pizza-wise?

Then I'm guessing that the pizza you're used to eating has very little pizza sauce on it. I seem to remember encountering a lot of cheese-flavored cardboard in the South. Is Texas similar to the South pizza-wise?

We have a lot of truly excellent pizza places in Houston, Texas. But they are not cheap. We have the cheap places with low quality pizza. Good old fashioned Italian style pizza cooked in a very hot wood fired oven if that is your desire. Houston is a city with lots of high quality foodie restaurants. Not to mention half a million taco trucks.

That second pizza in your OP doesn't even appeal to me. I'd look at that and expect to find pasta under the sauce.

The first one would work no matter how you sliced it.

There was once a pizza around here called a Vinny Pie. It was huge and irregular in it's shape with huge crust. The center was oily and you could use it to dip the crusty edge back into the pizza. Truly fantastic stuff. It was not made in a pan either.

Uno's is advertising on the radio here that they are the creators of the Chicago style deep-dish pan pizza 40 years ago. I'm sceptical.

Uno's is advertising on the radio here that they are the creators of the Chicago style deep-dish pan pizza 40 years ago. I'm sceptical.

As with most American food items, there are multiple people claiming to have invented it and multiple competing stories about how it was invented.

Spent a lot of time in Chicago and love the city much more than NY for just about everything but the pizza. Both the deep dish and Chicago thin crust square cut style suck. The square cut thin uses a crackery type crust that lacks the glorious texture of proper pizza which should have an uneven texture of toothsome chew and charred crispy air bubbles. Plus, square cut is "pointless pizza" because it lacks that 30-45 degree tip that is the pleasing first bite to each triangle slice. 90 degree angles just don't fit in the mouth as well.

I've never had a Chicago square cut that was more than passable. There are a couple places for much better deep dish than the one shown in the OP pic, whose crust looks a mass of bland, dense blech that most people leave behind. The good one's, like Pequod's in the pic below, use a lighter cornmeal crust that caramelizes in the pan and is tasty in it's own right even if quite different than a NY crust. Also, the better one's are not "stuffed" crust, like to one in which a second crust is put on top of a mass of flavorless mozz cheese then that crust is what is topped with sauce and other toppings.

20150808-Quod-Pizza-001.jpg

Last edited:
While I would not refuse a slice, I would never purchase a deep dish pizza. It doesn't appeal to me. Too much slop. I've never been a fan of thin crust pizza either. My assumption is the crust is crispy. Not for me. I'm a pizza traditionalist when it comes to restaurant pizza. State Road Pizza has great sauce. Sauce is important to me. I think it's a much overlooked topping. People are dismissive of pizza sauce. They should not be.

I mostly make my own pizza now. I tried focaccia for a crust on Underseer's recommendation but the local focaccia at my grocer is heavy on rosemary, too heavy for my liking. I switched to ciabatta and never looked back. I can make my pizza my way: heavy sauce, light cheese, sausage, peppers, onion, and mushrooms. It's my Saturday hangover food. If it has a fault, it's that the sauce soaks into the bread some. A minor annoyance. My new stove has a center oblong burner that came with a cast iron flat pan. I might try toasting the open face before applying the sauce. Schmear a little butter first. That sounds good, huh? I like leaving it in the oven until the bread lightly toasts anyways so I'm thinking toasting the open face will help to somewhat alleviate the mushiness of the sauce soaked bread.

You can find good pizza anywhere. With luck, anyway. There a couple of thin crust places in Michigan that are as good as all but the best in NY. Meaning places like John's on Bleeker, or V&T up by Columbia, top shelf places. I had pizza as good as any of those in Lagos, Portugal of all places.

The couple of times I've been to Chicago, it didn't occur me to try the pizza. Don't care for deep dish.

Many neighborhood places here will have pizza with no sauce, or no cheese.

Living here in Chicagoland (suburbs, not the city proper), I prefer "hand-tossed", which is somewhere between the cracker-y 'thin crust' and the tomato-sauce-filled-crust 'Deep Dish'.

Baby Bear's 'Just Right'! :D

Back
Top Bottom