• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Christian Rants

steve_bank

Diabetic retinopathy and poor eyesight. Typos ...
Basic Beliefs
secular-skeptic
Watched a liberal theist politician in the news claiming the last hurricane could have been redirected by god if we all prayed sincerely enough. It was on FOX and even the FOX anchor did not jump in.

So, god allows a hurricane. If people do not pay enough hurricane kills and destroys.

God must really love us, I guess it is 'tough love'.

Last I checked Huracan was not christian. Perhaps they ought pray to the heathen gods.

I hear that there was a guy in the Bahamas who was over at a friend’s house for dinner and rolled his eyes when the host wanted to say grace. So, that tracks.

Yeah. This is the turn my mind takes when I hear eople talking about the power of prayer. That they believe there is some kind of popularity contest for suffering, and that they further believe a god is capable of avoiding suffering, but chooses not to unless a certain number of people click the link, post it on their wall for an hour and forward to 30 friends. The, “I know only 5% of my friends will post this!” mentality. And they truly define their god as someone who would do this.

It’s incomprehensible to me. It just doesn’t compute.

The, “I know only 5% of my friends will post this!” mentality. And they truly define their god as someone who would.
Well, their god has told a prophet that he would stay the destruction of a city if the prophet could find ten Likes in the city.

Yeah. This is the turn my mind takes when I hear eople talking about the power of prayer. That they believe there is some kind of popularity contest for suffering, and that they further believe a god is capable of avoiding suffering, but chooses not to unless a certain number of people click the link, post it on their wall for an hour and forward to 30 friends. The, “I know only 5% of my friends will post this!” mentality. And they truly define their god as someone who would do this.

It’s incomprehensible to me. It just doesn’t compute.

How is it incomprehensible? Humans created their god in their image so, unsurprisingly, any culture's god is a reflection of that culture.

It bugs me when someone who is very ill is successfully treated by medical professionals, but then they thank god instead of the actual people who cured them. Or they say the medical professionals were guided by god, when in fact, it was medical science that helped them.

What about when 100 people die or are injured in some terrible accident or storm, but the few who survive, thank god for saving them? Why aren't they angry at god for allowing all the others to die or be injured? That god can be a real asshole.

Two quarterback's kneel and pray before a football game. One wins one loses. Obviously god made the determination.

It bugs me when someone who is very ill is successfully treated by medical professionals, but then they thank god instead of the actual people who cured them. Or they say the medical professionals were guided by god, when in fact, it was medical science that helped them.

What about when 100 people die or are injured in some terrible accident or storm, but the few who survive, thank god for saving them? Why aren't they angry at god for allowing all the others to die or be injured? That god can be a real asshole.

It demonstrates quite nicely how poorly we make our observations and how irrational we are as a species.

When I hear this kind of jabber out of people who can actually drive cars, negotiate reverse mortgages, operate computers, I can't help it, I just think, ya might's well be a French peasant in the year 800.

And when something horrible does happen to Christians, many of them seem dismayed and wondering aloud Why God would let this happen.
Back when I was a born-again type Christian, that response by other Christians really surprised me. I wondered if they didn't know that bad things happened to good people all the time. And the New Testament didn't promise rosy outcomes... The NT seemed to me like a bit of a road-book to martyrdom.

God has sort of left-the-building, (to Satan) in a manner of speaking, after so many covenants between God and man. Also (depending how you take it) there is the : It is appointed for man to die once i.e. the old Earth will fade away and the new (and better) Earth will take its place. Thats the jist of the biblical theme.

Understanding the viewpoint and being appalled by what it is - a hateful attitude towards life - are 100% compatible.

^ ^ ^

That reads much like Reverend Ike's criticism of Christian thought... "Pie in the sky by and by when you die".

Isn't that what it is? Hey look, you're born fucked up, so you must submit to this male dominator god and his middlemen or you're going to hell when you die, so hey, fear the inevitable in the meantime, k? Stay in line now, don't wander off and do any thinking for yourself, your job is to believe and recruit.

Understanding the viewpoint and being appalled by what it is - a hateful attitude towards life - are 100% compatible.

No disagreement there, however __ I would think this depends on 'which' viewpoint it is - life IS sacred or should be for the believer, thall shalt not commit so and so,.. there is a wanting for 'ever-lasting-life' (after) which is not hateful of the life now - which is also 100% compatible in this biblical VP.

For the time-being, lead your life the best way you can throughout its troubles and turmoils but make peace with God, what ever happens, sort of thing.

Last edited:
God has sort of left-the-building, (to Satan) in a manner of speaking, after so many covenants between God and man. Also (depending how you take it) there is the : It is appointed for man to die once i.e. the old Earth will fade away and the new (and better) Earth will take its place. Thats the jist of the biblical theme.

At this point you do realize that invoking god has no effect on us? The endless Christian invention and spinning of the bible.

It is like listening to a child spin a tale.

Back
Top Bottom