• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Christmas Recipes

I made this once. I loved how it looked. Didn't care how it'd taste. Which is good, because it didn't taste that great. Wasn't bad, but... wasn't great. I felt guilty about making a jello mold, but I just like the color. FYI, that pic isn't mine.

View attachment 30912

Big Xmas Eve cooking day. White bread for French Toast Cube bake, peppermint patties, maybe peppermint candies, might make some easy white chocolate soldiers. That actually doesn't sound too busy actually... well, I do have the croissants too. Probably whip the butter Wednesday Night, then get that dough started in the morning... fuck... I only have so much proofing space. Hmm... looks like White bread is shifting to afternoon then.

Looks a little like the British dessert called trifle. I made it once just to be 'Englishy'. Took it to a family gathering and the verdict was "It's...interesting." It was big, bland, creamy, and mushy. It satisfied my curiosity. Unless I'm ever in the UK again, I won't have a need to do trifle.

That, my dear person, is definitely not a trifle.

A traditional trifle has cake soaked in liquor and set with jelly at the bottom, fruit and more layers of jelly above that. It usually has several layers. The final layer, in my family, is a milk jelly layer. The whole thing is then topped with custard or whipped cream, and sprinkles if you like, or glacé cherries or fresh fruit.

Teacher!! Dear Teacher!! Read this note from me mum. She says, "Ma'am, did you notice he said 'looks a little'? Not 'resembles', but 'looks a little'? As in, A LITTLE?" And me da says to say, "Ask her is English her native tongue?" Please don't keep me after, Miss.

That, my dear person, is definitely not a trifle.

A traditional trifle has cake soaked in liquor and set with jelly at the bottom, fruit and more layers of jelly above that. It usually has several layers. The final layer, in my family, is a milk jelly layer. The whole thing is then topped with custard or whipped cream, and sprinkles if you like, or glacé cherries or fresh fruit.

Teacher!! Dear Teacher!! Read this note from me mum. She says, "Ma'am, did you notice he said 'looks a little'? Not 'resembles', but 'looks a little'? As in, A LITTLE?" And me da says to say, "Ask her is English her native tongue?" Please don't keep me after, Miss.

Point taken. :)

I make meringues which are only egg whites, sugar and vanilla. I also add chocolate chips and sometimes also add cocoa powder to make chocolate meringues. They bake for an hour in a slow oven and this is key: they stay in the cool oven (heat turned off!) over night. They are crisp and sweet and indulgent and despite congratulating yourself on them not having cholesterol or fat in them (assuming no chocolate treats) and having plenty of protein (egg whites!) the amount of sugar thoroughly negates these positives. So they are a once a year treat.

Back
Top Bottom