• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Church of England defends prayer tweet for Richard Dawkins after stroke

Church of England defends prayer tweet for Richard Dawkins after stroke

On Friday, the Church tweeted “prayers for Prof Dawkins and his family” in response to a post by The Independent newspaper reporting on his health ... Twitter users accuse church of ‘trolling’ the famous atheist, but it insists it was wholly genuine in its concern for Dawkins’ health.
:thinking:

These are King/Master religions - born when Kings ruled with an iron fist - they made God in the local King's image. Brought before the King, subjects/slaves got down on their knees, shaking with fear, swore undying loyalty(belief in today's religions) and begged for his mercy and protection. If pleased the King will let them stay in his kingdom(heaven) or else(hell)!

Simple, primitive ideas

So, a prayer is a slave begging his master to go easy on another - give the slave a break - just like in the olden days when slaves would beg master to forgive - that is what this is - God's realm no better than a corrupt Dictator's - where things are done based on who you know

Plus it gives them the satisfaction of claiming to do something - every time we have another mass killings with guns, the President can say, "let's pray" - no action, just cheap talk and a pat themselves on the back and think they have done something - makes the gun lobby quite happy as they know that no tough gun legislation is coming - that would be the action needed - but the president doesn't have the votes - even after little kids are killed the cons don't care - their pockets lined with the gun lobby's money

but it insists it was wholly genuine in its concern for Dawkins’ health.
So, they're okay with the Mormon Church posthumously baptizing dead CoE celebrities out of a sincere concern for the individual's soul?

One of the basic tenets of Christianity is to love all, which includes those who disagree with one's beliefs. It's not difficult to find Scripture which supports this.

Luke 6:27-28 But to you who are listening I say: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you.

I do not understand how anyone could interpret “prayers for Prof Dawkins and his family” as taunting or having any ulterior motive. It is the depth of small mindedness.

One of the basic tenets of Christianity is to love all, which includes those who disagree with one's beliefs. It's not difficult to find Scripture which supports this.

Luke 6:27-28 But to you who are listening I say: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you.

I do not understand how anyone could interpret “prayers for Prof Dawkins and his family” as taunting or having any ulterior motive. It is the depth of small mindedness.

True, and I bet if they had chosen to ignore this news that would have been interpreted badly too.

Back
Top Bottom