• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Civilization: Beyond Earth

Underseer

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheism, resistentialism
By now there are a crap ton of videos on YouTube showing gameplay.

On the one hand, one of the things that makes the civilization series special is that it is tied to real history. On the other hand, this gives the fans a completely different sci-fi setting while freeing the developers to go buck wild with game mechanics. Hopefully, they learned enough from the last attempt at this (Alpha Centauri) to avoid making the same mistakes. I've been watching the videos, and it looks terribly interesting in terms of game mechanics, although I imagine the splotchy and colorful alien landscape would grate on my nerves after a time.

Just so you know, not everything about Civilization is historical. For instance, the stories about George Washington destroying the rampaging hordes of Ghengis Khan is only something they teach in the Texas history books.

Just so you know, not everything about Civilization is historical. For instance, the stories about George Washington destroying the rampaging hordes of Ghengis Khan is only something they teach in the Texas history books.
They did do that Deadliest Warrior show pitting Washington against Napoleon. Somehow the simulation claimed that Washington won. I feel like computers make Washington way better of a general than he actually was for some reason.

That's nothing. In my most recent game, the Maya founded a religion called "Syphilis." It is spreading rapidly through the continent.

Ugh.

I bought the preorder.

Even though I don't like the trend of offering "special content" with preorders.

I am both a lemming and a hypocrite.

Anyway, is anyone else interested in or excited about Civilization: Beyond Earth? Or am I the only one?

Ugh.

I bought the preorder.

Even though I don't like the trend of offering "special content" with preorders.

I am both a lemming and a hypocrite.

Anyway, is anyone else interested in or excited about Civilization: Beyond Earth? Or am I the only one?

I'm getting it, even though I have about 6 games from Steam I haven't even played once that I've purchased in the last year.

I won't buy any Civ game until after the first major patch. If the company wants me to beta test their product, they can pay me and not the other way around. Once that's out, though, I think this one will be cool.

I like that they are able to try more radical things now that they are no longer tied down by history, which seems to have translated into some game mechanics that they would not have dared try otherwise, but on the other hand the pastel look of the alien landscapes look a little too cartoony for my tastes.

I used to be a civilization fan way back in the days of civilization 2. Ever since discovering the Europa Universalis series though, Civ games go largely ignored. If EU is the Ferrari of alternate history games, Civ is the casual gamer's playdoh facsimile of a Volkswagen beetle.

Also, beyond earth looks too much like a reskin as opposed to the Alpha Centauri sequal the world wants and needs.

I used to be a civilization fan way back in the days of civilization 2. Ever since discovering the Europa Universalis series though, Civ games go largely ignored. If EU is the Ferrari of alternate history games, Civ is the casual gamer's playdoh facsimile of a Volkswagen beetle.

Also, beyond earth looks too much like a reskin as opposed to the Alpha Centauri sequal the world wants and needs.

I have no idea what Alpha Centauri was like.

While the game may use the same graphics engine, there are enough changes to the mechanics that I would not call it a reskin.

I am getting it, maybe not as soon as it is released, but at least before the end of the year. Wasteland 2 just came out, and I am getting that this weekend, so I will be addicted to that for a while. Speaking of addiction and Civ games, I have well over 1000 hours logged on Civ 5, and probably had at least as much time invested in Civ 4. I have been a fan of the series from the very beginning, and played the hell out of Alpha Centauri as well. Beyond Earth looks promising to me, I don't have a problem with it using the same engine as Civ 5. I am sure the only reason Alpha Centauri used a new engine was because the designers had left Microprose and founded Firaxis just before starting development, and could not use the Civ 2 engine.

I am getting it, maybe not as soon as it is released, but at least before the end of the year. Wasteland 2 just came out, and I am getting that this weekend, so I will be addicted to that for a while. Speaking of addiction and Civ games, I have well over 1000 hours logged on Civ 5, and probably had at least as much time invested in Civ 4. I have been a fan of the series from the very beginning, and played the hell out of Alpha Centauri as well. Beyond Earth looks promising to me, I don't have a problem with it using the same engine as Civ 5. I am sure the only reason Alpha Centauri used a new engine was because the designers had left Microprose and founded Firaxis just before starting development, and could not use the Civ 2 engine.

My comment about the engine was pure speculation on my part. I don't actually know if it uses the same engine or not, but given that very little has changed tech-wise since the release of Civ 5, it would make perfect sense if they chose to use the same engine.

My comment about the engine was pure speculation on my part. I don't actually know if it uses the same engine or not, but given that very little has changed tech-wise since the release of Civ 5, it would make perfect sense if they chose to use the same engine.

It was a good guess, they are indeed using an updated version of the same game engine used for Civ 5.

I just downloaded Civ IV and started playing that again. It is a far superior game to the later version.

Overall, I really like the game.

My two main complaints are that I don't care for the art style of the alien landscape, but the simple fact that it is alien would probably elicit the same response from me in comparison to the regular game, which reproduces the Earth.

The other one is that this game's equivalent of nations is sponsors, and there are not very many of them. This means that you will be seeing the same leaders over and over in every game, and you quickly get tired of hearing the same catch phrases over and over from them.

I gotta be honest...this looks a lot like a reskin of Civ V. Have there been significant improvements to the gameplay? I liked Civ V well enough but I always liked Civ IV better.

I picked it up over the weekend, so far I like it quite a bit. There are certainly gameplay differences, whether or not you would see them as improvements is another story. Since it is based on the Civ V engine, most of the gameplay mechanics are going to be the same. So, if one of the things you don't like about Civ V is the fact that you cannot stack units, unlike in Civ IV, that mechanic is still in place.

You still have to track food and culture, happiness has been replaced with health, and money has been replaced with energy, but there is very little difference between them other than those changes to the names. Religion and tourism have been removed, but since these were added to Civ V with expansions, we may see these come back in some form or another. Trade routes were also added with an expansion, but these are available in the base game for Beyond Earth. The culture system has been tweaked, there are 4 culture 'value' tracks: military, food, science and production. All 4 are available from the start, and although they work much the same way as the culture tracks in Civ V, the interface has been reworked.

As noted, there are no nations in BE, your civilization will be based on a sponsor, which tend to be 'league of nations' kind of groupings. There are not very many of them, so they will get repetitive in multiple play-throughs. I would assume that this will be addressed with frequent DLCs, if Civ V is any guide. Maps are much the same, not very many off the bat, but will likely be more in the future.

Two big changes are how the tech tree has been reworked into a tech web, and the addition of affinities, which are influenced by the techs you research. There are three possible affinities, and leveling up the affinities can determine how you ultimately win the game, as each affinity has a wonder that can be built to win the game once you reach a certain level in that affinity. Of course, you can also win by domination, and there are two other ways to win that are not directly related to the affinities.

Units are a bit different in the way they upgrade. There are far less units, and so far there are no units specialized to your civilization (nor are there specialized civilization buildings). You still gain initial access to the units by researching technologies, but now they upgrade by leveling up your affinities. Each affinity gives you two ways to upgrade a unit when you level your affinity, and most units seem to have 5 upgrades in total. Once you choose an upgrade, all of your existing units of that type are automatically upgraded to the latest version.

Barbarians have been replaced with aliens, but the AI is such that they are not a 1 for 1 replacement. The alien AI is such that they don't seem to attack everyone all the time, especially if you go for the Harmony affinity, but they can be somewhat unpredictable. I found that the alien sea creatures were much more likely to attack my ships, but that may have been because I was initially more hostile to them in an attempt to protect my cargo routes. Later on I discovered that one of the bonuses for leveling up the Harmony affinity is that your trade routes are no longer attacked by aliens.

To sum up, if you are not a fan of Civ V, or think Civ IV was a better game, you are probably going to be underwhelmed by BE. For me having been a huge fan of all the civ games, and logging over 1000 hours on Civ V, I am enjoying BE immensly, but have yet to complete my first play through (should finish tonite). Half of my first day with it (Saturday) was spent downloading the game from Steam, and then upgrading my gfx drivers to get it to play without crashing during the first turn. It is much more stable now, but I have had two crashes since squaring that away. The first was just a crash to desktop, but the second time it actually crashed my entire PC.

Back
Top Bottom