• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Climate Change(d)?

Close your eyes and imagine you live in a thin shell of atmosphere around the planet.

Now imagine pumping car exhaust and industrial gases into that thin shell in perpetuity.

Does that make sense at all? Before car exhaust emmisons contols LA was in perpetual smog. Young peole developed lung problems from the pollution.

Advocating doing nothing is absurd. It comes down tp marality. Do yiu enjoy unfteered consumption and pollution at the cost of future generations?

Curtailing air pollution is about health and quality of life if nothing else.

Soone asked hmself where all te fluorocarbons used to pressurize spray cans was going. It led to the discovery of the effect it had on the ozone which protects us from radiation.

It is not just about us, it is about all living things on the planet. If you do not feel that I truly feel sorry for you.

Most people do not realize how much our lives depend on insects. Bees and others for pollination. Ants and worms aerate the soil.

Back when it was dicoved wild and domesticated bees were declining Sean Hannity mocked a govt gramt to study the problem. Obviously Hannity is shallow and ignorant on what his life ultimately depends, the ecosystem. The conservative Chrtian view that god gave them the Earth to consume. I knew a Christian who said when the Erath is consumed god will crete a new on =e for the belivers.

On the contrary the rise in temperature has tbe gotten under control. Intensified storms, droughts, and heat waves are upon us and nothing we do will have any short term effect. Reducing ocean temperature will take a long time.

Mayans collapsed after a few centuries of peak civilization. Cities connects by roads and an interconnect economy. Droughts affects nutrition. They went form a good diet to less nutritious plants. From a documentary eventually the environment could not support the population and peolpe no longer beloved in thhereditray leaders. Remains of dead bodies and weapons were found laying around in some areas indcating violence and a hasty exodus.

The Incas as well. There is evidence that the process used to create their building materials eventually poisoned the farmland and contaminated water supplies.

What we are going thru is not new. What is new is the global scale of pollution.

Now imagine pumping car exhaust and industrial gases into that thin shell in perpetuity.
Ah, the old bait and switch. If the argument about climate change flounders, talk about pollution. Yeah, not the same thing.
On the contrary the rise in temperature has tbe gotten under control. Intensified storms, droughts, and heat waves are upon us
No they are not.

Ah, the old bait and switch. If the argument about climate change flounders, talk about pollution. Yeah, not the same thing.
On the contrary the rise in temperature has tbe gotten under control. Intensified storms, droughts, and heat waves are upon us
No they are not.
I did a quick search on climate change and terms like cult. Not surprisingly it is dominated by FOX. Hannity, Carlson, and Ingram.

Are you connected to FOX i some way? Are you Sean by any chance?

If clmate activism is a cult, what fo you call conservative Cistian capitalists who stick to an ideologof unlimited consumption of resources even when it has obvious problems? This is not a trick question.

Hardly bait and switch, more like more hand waving on your part ignoring the question. Greenhouse gases are pollution.

Can you see you are living in a finite atmospheric shell into which pollutants including greenhouse gases are continuously pumped? It is obvious and undeniable.

Is this a good thing to do without restraint? This is a yes or no answer.

Please respond with something other than the word cult.

If clmate activism is a cult,
“Climate activism” ? Like the morons that let out the air of tires on cars they don’t like or glue themselves to the road? This is the behavior of irrational cultists. It’s a religion to be mocked in the same way as the resurrection of Jesus. An end of times rapture like cult.

Also, to me, it increaisngly seems that your short, sneering, content-free posts, always appended by your “rapture-like cult” idiocy, and your refusal to answer my questions, constitute a form of trolling. I will double-check the rules and if indicated, make a complaint to the mods.

I’m pretty sure accusing someone of trolling is against the rules so tread carefully.

I’m pretty sure accusing someone of trolling is against the rules so tread carefully.

PUBLIC accusations of trolling are against the rules, but Reports made in confidence to Staff are allowed and even encouraged if made in good faith.

I believe general discussions of trolling are permitted. In the sequel I am NOT talking about any particular Infidel, just offering my own understanding of "trolling."

* During the 2010's troll farms became a thriving industry for poor countries, notably Albania. Because of heavy competition from other troll farms, automated troll bots, and actual humans serving as amateur trolls for whatever reason, I don't think trolling is a viable profession now unless one has a big audience (e.g. Alex Jones or Tucker Carlson) or develops and operates automated troll farms.

* Another type of troll derives no economic benefit, but is just amusing himself. This type posts nonsense or talking points found at InfoWars or other extremist websites in hopes of eliciting unfavorable reactions. He or she derives pleasure from seeing angry or time-wasted responses to his or her faked opinions. These trolls usually have an unrelated full-time job; eliciting angry responses on message boards is their hobby.

* Finally, there are some people so stupid and/or ignorant that their posts seem like they must be troll bait, but in fact are just the sincere but deluded blatherings of people enthralled by "charismatic" bullshit from Sean Hannity, MTG, and others of that ilk.

Obviously, no Member of the Internet Infidels Discussion Board fits into any of these three categories.

Pollution is in the dose and the effect. Nitrogen is plant food. So is phosphorus. So not pollution right? Putting more of it in the environment increases primary productivity. But what happens when waters become so enriched with those from anthropogenic sources that plankton over-grows? We call those them pollution when they wreck lakes, estuaries, and coastal ecosystems. Same thing with CO2 really. If there is enough of it being added to the environment that it is causing problems then it is pollution. The same people that claimed that acid rain from sulfur emissions, ozone degradation from CFCs, and aquatic eutrophication are chicken little scare mongering hoaxes are now claiming the same about warnings about the effects of CO2 enrichment on the environment.

Kentucky just experienced 1,000 year floods. We in Florida are experiencing the other side of that same weather system. A few days ago the soundings from Central Florida NWS sondes recorded the driest air column on record for late July. Surface dew points were in the high 70s but there was barely 1" of precipitable water in the column because we were under an extraordinarily deep high pressure. Rotating around the periphery of that unmoving mega high was a crap load of moisture since warm air holds more moisture. That moisture gets wrung out somewhere. There are numerous detailed time series studies documenting the increased frequency of heavy rain events in the eastern continental US. It is also well documented that our local average low temperature here in CFL is 4 degrees warmer now than in the whole of the 20th century. Climate is the average of weather and the average weather has shifted; as has the frequency of occurrence of certain types of events and extremes. All changes are consistent with a rapid increase in the heat content of the atmosphere. Can you point to a cause of that other than increased radiative forcing?

If clmate activism is a cult,
“Climate activism” ? Like the morons that let out the air of tires on cars they don’t like or glue themselves to the road? This is the behavior of irrational cultists. It’s a religion to be mocked in the same way as the resurrection of Jesus. An end of times rapture like cult.
Yeah, meanwhile Public Works and engineers are dealing with the active issues regarding climate change from nuisance flooding, needing to adapt building codes to deal with heat (or cold), more resources to manage heat waves, costs of meandering hurricane related flooding, etc...

This "rapture like cult" actually costs Americans a good deal of money.

Also, to me, it increaisngly seems that your short, sneering, content-free posts, always appended by your “rapture-like cult” idiocy, and your refusal to answer my questions, constitute a form of trolling. I will double-check the rules and if indicated, make a complaint to the mods.

I did not accuse you of trolling. I asked if you were connected to FOX which your words seem to align with.

Still hand waving to avoid the question.Trying to clom trolling will not get you off the hook. I got you ny the toe and you are trying to wiggle free.

Is it a good thing to continuously pump pollution into our thin atmospheric shell? Yes or no.

Climate deniers will not likely run their car with garage door closed, yet see nothing in millions of cars putting exhaust into the atmosphere. Cognitive dissonance.

I'd forgotten acid rain. Fish were killed of in lkjes. When I was in New Hampshire in the 80s chemicals were being dumped into lakes to change the ph.

Acid rain is rain or any other form of precipitation that is unusually acidic, meaning that it has elevated levels of hydrogen ions (low pH). Most water, including drinking water, has a neutral pH that exists between 6.5 and 8.5, but acid rain has a pH level lower than this and ranges from 4–5 on average.[1][2] The more acidic the acid rain is, the lower its pH is.[2] Acid rain can have harmful effects on plants, aquatic animals, and infrastructure. Acid rain is caused by emissions of sulphur dioxide and nitrogen oxide, which react with the water molecules in the atmosphere to produce acids.

Acid rain has been shown to have adverse impacts on forests, freshwaters, soils, microbes, insects and aquatic life-forms.[3] In ecosystems, persistent acid rain reduces tree bark durability, leaving flora more susceptible to environmental stressors such as drought, heat/cold and pest infestation. Acid rain is also capable of detrimenting soil composition by stripping it of nutrients such as calcium and magnesium which play a role in plant growth and maintaining healthy soil. In terms of human infrastructure, acid rain also causes paint to peel, corrosion of steel structures such as bridges, and weathering of stone buildings and statues as well as having impacts on human health.[4][5][6][7]

Some governments, including those in Europe and North America, have made efforts since the 1970s to reduce the release of sulfur dioxide and nitrogen oxide into the atmosphere through air pollution regulations. These efforts have had positive results due to the widespread research on acid rain starting in the 1960s and the publicized information on its harmful effects.[8][9] The main source of sulfur and nitrogen compounds that result in acid rain are anthropogenic, but nitrogen oxides can also be produced naturally by lightning strikes and sulphur dioxide is produced by volcanic eruptions.[10]

I did not accuse you of trolling. I asked if you were connected to FOX which your words seem to align with.

Still hand waving to avoid the question.Trying to clom trolling will not get you off the hook. I got you ny the toe and you are trying to wiggle free.

Is it a good thing to continuously pump pollution into our thin atmospheric shell? Yes or no.

Climate deniers will not likely run their car with garage door closed, yet see nothing in millions of cars putting exhaust into the atmosphere. Cognitive dissonance.

I'd forgotten acid rain. Fish were killed of in lkjes. When I was in New Hampshire in the 80s chemicals were being dumped into lakes to change the ph.

Acid rain is rain or any other form of precipitation that is unusually acidic, meaning that it has elevated levels of hydrogen ions (low pH). Most water, including drinking water, has a neutral pH that exists between 6.5 and 8.5, but acid rain has a pH level lower than this and ranges from 4–5 on average.[1][2] The more acidic the acid rain is, the lower its pH is.[2] Acid rain can have harmful effects on plants, aquatic animals, and infrastructure. Acid rain is caused by emissions of sulphur dioxide and nitrogen oxide, which react with the water molecules in the atmosphere to produce acids.

Acid rain has been shown to have adverse impacts on forests, freshwaters, soils, microbes, insects and aquatic life-forms.[3] In ecosystems, persistent acid rain reduces tree bark durability, leaving flora more susceptible to environmental stressors such as drought, heat/cold and pest infestation. Acid rain is also capable of detrimenting soil composition by stripping it of nutrients such as calcium and magnesium which play a role in plant growth and maintaining healthy soil. In terms of human infrastructure, acid rain also causes paint to peel, corrosion of steel structures such as bridges, and weathering of stone buildings and statues as well as having impacts on human health.[4][5][6][7]

Some governments, including those in Europe and North America, have made efforts since the 1970s to reduce the release of sulfur dioxide and nitrogen oxide into the atmosphere through air pollution regulations. These efforts have had positive results due to the widespread research on acid rain starting in the 1960s and the publicized information on its harmful effects.[8][9] The main source of sulfur and nitrogen compounds that result in acid rain are anthropogenic, but nitrogen oxides can also be produced naturally by lightning strikes and sulphur dioxide is produced by volcanic eruptions.[10]
Adding that Engalls was the person whofirst used the word cult to describe climate activists.

It has certainly happened before. Mayn civilizatin grew, had an economy and a high standrd of living, and suffered a sudden collape. It tok a while,

Eh? It was sudden but took a while? Which was it ?
The collapse was sudden but it took a while to destroy them.

The thing is civilizations that fail are only of note to the archeologist and anthropologists. History is written by those who avoided catastrophe--but nothing says that that was by design rather than luck. There are probably plenty of others out there that failed to avoid catastrophe but didn't leave enough traces for anyone to ever figure out they were there in the first place.

We are doomed;

Climate endgame: risk of human extinction ‘dangerously underexplored’
The risk of global societal collapse or human extinction has been “dangerously underexplored”, climate scientists have warned in an analysis. They call such a catastrophe the “climate endgame”.The researchers warn that climate breakdown could exacerbate or trigger other catastrophic risks, such as international wars or infectious disease pandemics, and worsen existing vulnerabilities such as poverty, crop failures and lack of water.

Teh Gruaniad

An end of times, rapture like cult.

He still will not say if he thinks pumping car exhaust and coal plant gasses into our finite atmosphere is a good thing.

I imagine itpresents a bit of conumdrum. Few people would actualy say it is a good idea with no consequnces. Some might argue the consequences are not important. What's few deaths from pollution in the grand schene of things.

If twizzle says no it is not a god idea he brings into question for himself and his omniscience his own paradaigm on climate chnage. Like many conservatives sticking to a rigid orthodoxy he woud rather be in denial than change.

As to an ecological catastrophe yes it is possible.

I listened to a ftomt form somebody from the University Of Washington back in the 90s who looked at global lakes. She reported globally lakes were warming. You might think that is inconsequential.

In Lake Washington salmon runs are triggered by temperature. Before warming temperature triggered an algae bloom which triggered a boom in salmon prey. A species of salmon evoved to return at the bloom.

It is not just the lake. Rising temperatures have depleted oxygen in shallows where salmon breed from the PNW to Alaska. The slamon literally suffocate.

Salmon is a major global source of protein.

Rising ocean temperatures are killing coral reefs. The nurseries at the bottom of the ocean food chain. Big fish eat small fish. Bigger fish eat big fish. Tuna are voracious. We eat tuna.

A large part of our oxygen comes from ocean life. If you do not know look up where our oxygen comes from. You might deveop an appreciation for trees.

It is really not that complicated. Our life rests on the bottoms of the food chain in the ecosystem. Corrupt that and our civilization as it is today will diminish.

The word is tipping point. Tipping points can be non linear, meaning it cam happen in a short amount oftime without warning or indications.
mans go extinct? Probably not. If the food chain is seriously interrupted or reduced economies will be affected. Russian blockade of Ukrainian whea is threnng economuc colapse in some places.

Beef production in the south west is seriously affectd by rising temoerature.

Keep repeating the denial mantra if it helps you cope with the reality of it.

We are doomed;

Climate endgame: risk of human extinction ‘dangerously underexplored’
The risk of global societal collapse or human extinction has been “dangerously underexplored”, climate scientists have warned in an analysis. They call such a catastrophe the “climate endgame”.The researchers warn that climate breakdown could exacerbate or trigger other catastrophic risks, such as international wars or infectious disease pandemics, and worsen existing vulnerabilities such as poverty, crop failures and lack of water.

Teh Gruaniad

An end of times, rapture like cult.
They are saying the scenario is under-researched, not that this is a certainty.

FOX climate change is a religion for the left.

FOX Hannity climate activists waging war on America

FOX Ingram

Fox News host Laura Ingraham compared Greta Thunberg and other youth climate activists with Stephen King’s “Children of the Corn” on Monday night.

Ingraham drew a parallel between the 16-year-old Swedish activist and other young people leading a movement to combat climate change with the fictional cult depicted in King’s well-known 1977 short story of murderous children who live in cornfields in rural Nebraska.
FOX Ingrahm activists are a cult are a cult.

Fox News host Laura Ingraham compared 16-year-old climate change activist Greta Thunberg to the dangerous religious cult members in Stephen King’s horror tale, “Children of the Corn.”

I think I am seeing a pattern here. Could it be FOX is entirely biased on one side? I am shocked.

I'd say FOX exhibits a cult like religious order. Mono ideological rigid thinking. Non believers are evil.

Discussion regarding the impact of carbon in the atmosphere causing problems dates back to the 19th century. And the last 50 years has shown the Earth has warmed. And the weather is getting different. And the climate has modified.

But it's all a cult, because disputing data is harder.

Discussion regarding the impact of carbon in the atmosphere causing problems dates back to the 19th century. And the last 50 years has shown the Earth has warmed. And the weather is getting different. And the climate has modified.

But it's all a cult, because disputing data is harder.
The last line was interesting" centuries "
Interesting only because it was so naive about how much this would accelerate.

Back
Top Bottom